1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Add HD to in-laws' DISH plan

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by T-Mac, Nov 27, 2012.

1. T-Mac

T-Mac AllStar

Feb 16, 2012
    Hi folks, I'm a DirecTV customer but my wife and I are getting her parents an HDTV for christmas. They are DISH customers and have been for several years. I have no info about their plan other than a few basics. There's only one TV in the house (SD) so this will be there first foray into HD. I'm sure their monthly plan is cheap, no premiums, no DVR, just the basics plus the ESPNs.

My question is this. How much will DISH charge to add on HD service ($10/month)? I assume they'll need a new dish and HD receiver, will they install these for free? Will there be a new contract to sign? Anything else to consider? They will not want to spend more than $10 extra per month, so I don't think a change in channel package is feasible.

Thanks for your help!

2. garys

garys Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2005
    If your parents have internet, they can agree to paperless billing and autopay, if they do both and keep it intact, Dish waives the HD package fee. There are other factors, it would be better if you can put your parents in touch with a DIRT member (Dish Internet Response Team) with a PM on this site.

3. T-Mac

T-Mac AllStar

Feb 16, 2012
    Thanks for the response, but no my in-laws don't have internet and don't have any desire for it!

4. tampa8

tampa8 Godfather/Supporter

Mar 30, 2002
    No extra charge for HD with Dish if you agree to autopay and paperless billing. If they can't do those things unfortunately it's probable they will have to pay $10 every month. OR they can pay a one time fee, I believe it's $99 and then not pay the $10 per month.
    They will be required to sign a new two year contract, and Dish will install everything needed, a new receiver and Dish if needed. If and what they charge for installation is somewhat dependant on the customer, how well they pay on time and what they spend. Dish may say it's $95 but it can be negotiated down somewhat usually.

Since they are signing a two year contract, if they won't do paperless billing and autopay, with out a doubt pay the $99 fee, in less than 11 months they will be ahead.

5. tymekeeper

tymekeeper Legend

Jan 11, 2008
    your wife could set up the on line account, if you have internet, and check out the monthly bill and have her parents do paperless and auto pay.

6. Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network DISH Representative DISH Representative

Dec 28, 2010
    The HD programming is normally $10 per month but the minimum HD programming is our America's Top 120. If they don't have an HD receiver, they need to upgrade to an HD receiver, which may also involve a new dish to receive the HD programming.

We have our HD Free For Life promotio, which does eliminate the $10 HD programming monthly charge, when the terms are accepted. Please let me know if you have further questions. Thanks.