1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Added an eSATA... record light on, and doesn't turn off

Discussion in 'DIRECTV - HR21 Discussion (private)' started by Earl Bonovich, Aug 4, 2007.

1. Aug 4, 2007 #1 of 13
    Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    I just added an eSATA device to the HR21...
    It appears to be working just fine... nothing wrong... other then....

I have the record light on... and it is more yellow, then orange..
    There is nothing recording... there doesn't appear to be anything "downloading".

Phone line isn't off the hook.

I did try a restart... but it came back on...

And so far... I have let it sit for 30 minutes like that...
    I have tried recording things (two at a time)... just to try to get it to "toggle" a state on the LED.... nothing

So I am going to leave it sit for a while longer (probably over night)...
    And see if it goes out.

Anyone have any other ideas?

(Note: this light was not on, when I didn't have the eSATA connected)

2. Aug 4, 2007 #2 of 13
    RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    Does the light go out if you go back to using the internal drive?

3. Aug 4, 2007 #3 of 13
    Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
    I'll try that if the light doesn't go off on it's own by the morning

4. Aug 4, 2007 #4 of 13
    Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
    Well... it appears the HR21 doesn't like the eSATA that much.
    The HR20-700 did (At least for the brief testing).

I pulled it... and rebooted, and everything is fine on the internal drive.

When I still had the eSATA connected... each reboot, ended up reformating the eSATA drive...

I am going to try to do some more testing with the HR20-100 and the eSATA to really make sure the eSATA drive is working fine (it is new as well)

I'll let you know.

5. Aug 5, 2007 #5 of 13
    litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Earl, is this the same eSATA drive you've used with your HR20? Just wondering if something is flakey with this eSATA drive.

6. Aug 5, 2007 #6 of 13
    hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Earl,

I was just going to test my eSata drive on the HR21 when I read your post. :eek2:

Since I spent much of yesterday doing many "cleanup" things anyway, such as a few more new compression connectors on a couple of wall cables, moving around a couple of things, as well as buying a new Samsung HD DLP set for the bedroom and doing the install (updated my signature accordingly), I figured I'd wait until today to test the eSata with the HR21 here.

I'm also planning some more photos post-install as soon as I can today as well.

I'll check back to see if there's anything new on the eSata before I proceed, but it sounds like there may be some "issues" with 0168 and perhaps it might be worth waiting until the next CE for the HR21...

7. Aug 5, 2007 #7 of 13
    66stang351

66stang351 New Member

Aug 9, 2006
    If you are prepared to hook the eSATA up you might as well. If nothing else but to either prove or disprove that the issue Earl is seeing is seen by all of the HR-21s. What Earl is seeing may be an incompatibility with the specific eSATA he is using and yours might work or there may be a corruption on his HR-21 that is inducing the problem where yours might work fine. The only way to know is to test multiple setups and find out what happens.

8. Aug 5, 2007 #8 of 13
    tfederov

tfederov Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2005
    I guess that leads us to the question: Earl, what is your eSATA setup (drive type, enclosure)?

I'm not very familiar with the eSATA use here so I guess I'm wondering if there are driver or firmware issues tied to the drive that may or may not work with an HR20/HR21.

And to think, my day job is storage (EMC, Brocade, etc.) and I've never played with eSATA on my receivers.

9. Aug 5, 2007 #9 of 13
    hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Actually, I have an external 500GB eSata drive hooked up to my HR20 that I was going to move over once int made sense to do so, or else once Earl gave some indication it should work. It has worked perfectly on the HR20 for many months.

Others have also sucessfully connected various brand and size units without a problem. It would seem that if one of us has a problem (Earl), that more than likely, all of us would.

I may still try it later today when all the weekend "honey-do's" get done and I can spend some "quality time" with teh HR21. I also need to do some installed photos anyway.

10. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    Best buy has the Seagate FreeAgent eSATA drive on sale for $129.99 this week. I was considering getting that for my HR21.

11. Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
    I really can't tell "you" all about the enclosure...
    For the same reasons, you all can't tell others about the HR21...
    (and no, it is not a DirecTV product)

other then it does work on the HR20-700...

12. houskamp

houskamp Active Member

Sep 14, 2006
    :eek2: :p :lol:

13. tfederov

tfederov Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Hate to revive this, but I'm assuming you were talking about the tenbox. Have those issues been resolved? It's still kinda pricey for me and would probably hold off for a while until I had some disposable income but was curious to know how it finally worked with our new baby.