1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Adding a 2nd receiver (HR24) to LR - "install" question

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by bananfish, Sep 18, 2010.

1. bananfish

bananfish Mentor

Aug 13, 2007
    I was able to get DirecTV to give me a $200 credit for buying an HR24 through another channel (Amazon). (Long-time customer, never late with a payment, Sunday Ticket subscriber - took a long phone call and having to demand to talk to Retention, but I got them to pay the full cost of the HR24.)

I have received my HR24 and I would like to hook it up in my LR *in addition to* the existing HR21, at least until I'm finished watching all the legacy recordings on the HR21. (I also have an HR10-250 in my BR, so I don't have a SWiM or DECA or MRV installation - I have whatever they hooked up about 2 1/2 years ago when they did my last install.)

I already know I need a pair of B Band Converters for the HR24 (since I don't have a SWiM installation) - called D* today and they're being shipped (for free).

My essential question: Can I simply use a coax splitter in the LR to split the two coaxes coming into the HR21 off to the two inputs to the HR24 (routing all outputs through B Band Converters to their respective box)? If so, do I split before or after the B Band Converters (I suspect before), and is there anything special about the coax splitter needed to do the job?

If that won't work, I suppose I would have to run coax (or something else) all the way from the multiswitch up on the roof, right? If that's the case, I'm inclined not to hook them both up - just unhook from the HR21 and hook up to the HR24, and hook back up to the HR21 whenever I want to watch one of the "legacy" recordings. (There's not really that much, but I don't want to lose any of it until I've watched it.)

I'm willing to listen to any other suggestions as well that would make sense.

Thanks!

2. TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol Hall Of Fame

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    No you can not do that. You would need a SWiM setup or you would need to run 2 more cables to the new receiver.

If you already have 2 cables going to the HR21, you could use one of those to temporarily hook up and activate the HR24 until you are done with the recordings on the HR21, then once you're done take that second cable and hook it up to the HR24. The only problem with that setup is that you wouldn't be able to record 2 things at once on either DVR.

If you plan on keeping the HR21 around, you should consider upgrading to SWiM. Since you already have a multiswitch, they could swap that one out for a SWiM8 switch so that you could continue using your HR10 in the bedroom, as it has legacy outputs on it.

3. bananfish

bananfish Mentor

Aug 13, 2007
    I was afraid of that.

Thanks for the "hook up one tuner on the HR21 and one on the HR24" suggestion - I hadn't thought of that.

I only intend to keep the HR21 around in the LR long enough to finish watching the current recordings - probably only a week or two.

I thought about moving the HR21 to the BR to replace the HR10-250, but I only have an SD TV there (a 1987 Magnavox 26" CRT!), and I like the HR10-250 much better than the HR21, mostly because of speed. If I ever upgrade to an HD TV in the BR (which could definitely happen in the near future), then I would go ahead and swap out the HR10-250 for the HR21 and see about upgrading to SWiM at that time.

Just out of curiosity, what would it cost me to upgrade to SWiM? Any way to get them to provide that for free? :)

4. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Not likely free, unless you ordered Multiroom video ($3/mo). You could buy a SWM lnb and swap out your current lnb on the dish, and put the splitter in place of your current ground block (if you water proof its location). That would cost about $80 or so total for a DIY swapout. Of course, your Tivo would no longer work.

5. Eskimo

Eskimo AllStar

Aug 2, 2010
    Any reason why not to just hook up the HR24, and leave the HR21 only connected on the outputs, to a second input on your TV? That's what we did with our e* box.

6. Manctech

Manctech Icon

Jul 5, 2010
    Yea. You can still watch recordings even if theres no signal to the stb.

7. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I think that only lasts for two weeks or so. At least it used to be like that. Before that, you couldn't do it at all. Then you could, then you couldn't. Confused? :)

Rich

8. Eskimo

Eskimo AllStar

Aug 2, 2010
    So, you're saying it's a definite, solid, no-doubt-about-it maybe? :lol:

9. evan_s

evan_s Hall Of Fame

Mar 3, 2008
    I believe that rich is correct. You can only watch existing recordings with out a signal for so long because the box looses it's authorization. You could work around this by swapping a single cable back to the old box just long enough for it to get it's authorization back (i think you can force this through the website). You might also be able to work around this by playing back all the recordings via MRV from the HR24 as this seems to rely on the authorization of the box playing back the recordings but this would require getting MRV turned on for any unsupported setup.

I guess the biggest question is how long do you expect it to take to clean off the older DVR as that will affect the best option. If your Tivo and HR21 are your only existing receivers you probably have a regular LNB with no multi-switch so no way to support additional tuners with out adding a multi-switch. A standard LNB has 4 ports on it which would be used up. If you do have a multi-switch someplace, it is most likely a WB68 with 8 ports total.

10. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Well, they change something every NR. I haven't checked if you could still do it, but I haven't seen anything that makes me think they've changed it. You should be good for a couple weeks.

Rich