1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

adding a 6th room

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by getsideways, Sep 5, 2011.

1. getsideways

getsideways New Member

Dec 17, 2006
    I currently have 5 dvr's. (hr20,hr23, old style tivo and 2 r16) I ran a line into another room so i can move a r16 receiver into that room from another room when i want to. problem is now i dont know where to hook it up or if i need another splitter. there is a swm box in the house for the receivers that are swm capable. here is a picture of my rooftop setup. the open port on the splitter is red so i dont know if i can use it. the 2 coming out of the legacy ports go to my old tivo i assume. thanks

[​IMG]

2. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    You shouldn't have a problem connecting to the splitter, "BUT" the SWiM-16 has two outputs and each can have NO MORE THAN eight tuners [DVR =2] connected, which might require you to use the other output to connect the additional receiver.

3. getsideways

getsideways New Member

Dec 17, 2006
    so i should try plugging my new line into the one open red port on the splitter? and leave the cable open in the room i pull the receiver out of? i keep reading about terminating ports? im not really adding more tuners, im just moving one dvr from one room to another. i forgot to mention that right now the 2 r16 are in rooms next to each other so the last installer just split the line in the room and ran a line thru interior wall for the other room.

4. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    It always helps to know the whole story, but there isn't any problem using "the red" port. Terminating unused ports "should be" done.

5. cabletech

cabletech Legend

Jan 20, 2011
    I guess I have to ask the dum question about the splitters being on the roof. Why? I also do not see a ground wire and it looks like this is a commerical flat type roof, correct?