1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

adding a ext. hd

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by lartomar2002, Jul 26, 2010.

1. lartomar2002

lartomar2002 Legend

Nov 14, 2007
    i want to add a ext. hd to my hr24-500 receiver. what type or brand would you guys recommend? is it easy to do? are there any pitfalls to look out for? is there any special thing i might need to know? i am asking because i have received nothing but good advice from this forum. thanks, larry

2. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
  3. mcbeevee

mcbeevee 97% Complete

Sep 18, 2006
    In case you did not already know, the HR24-500 has a 500gb internal hard drive. Since the external drive replaces the internal drive, you will need something larger than 500gb.

:)

4. oldbamaguy

oldbamaguy Legend

Jun 1, 2009
    I have four WD20EADSs in Antec MX-1s for about a year. To install the drive in the enclosure it is about 10 screws (total) in and out. All the cables come with the Antec MX-1. The cable that connects the eSATA to the HD-DVR is a bit tight and only goes in one way. That is the only "problem area". Unplug the HD-DVR, then plug in the eSATA and turn it on. Then plug the HD-DVR back in. It will "boot up" and when that is complete you should be using the eSATA. You will have to recreate your "favorites" and your "to do" list.
    I have all of my HD-DVRs and eSATAs on UPS to avoid the "boot up" on brief power outages. I have four APC 550s which will hold the eSATA and the HD-DVR for about two hours. Even on power failures longer than two hours, when the power comes back on and everything "boots up" you should be on the eSATA. I have never had one of my systems go back to the internal drive. If you wanted to go back to the internal drive, I'd say, turn off the eSATA and after "boot up" you should be back on the internal drive.
    The WD20EVDS hasn't been available for a year yet. It is designed for Video applications, the V in the Model number. The WD20EADS has been around over a year.
    Good Luck!!

5. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I just put a Thermaltake docking station with a WD EVDS 2TB HDD on my 24-500 and it's perfectly silent. So simple to use, it actually took me longer to unpack the HDD and the docking station than it took to install it. All you have to do (after unpacking) is take the docking station and insert the HDD in it. Don't plug it in.

Unplug your 24-500 and then plug in the docking station. There is an on/off button on the back of the docking station. Make sure the switch is on and then plug in the 24 and the 24 will boot up, test your new HDD and then format it. Once the boot up process is over, you will have the external setup running.

Rich

6. MurrayW

MurrayW Legend

Apr 13, 2006
    I have MX-1's on all my other DVR's, but when I got my HR24-500 with the MRV install, I also went with a thermaltake docking station along with a Hitachi 2TB drive.

7. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    What happens when you try to hotswap the drive in the dock? :lol:

8. TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol Hall Of Fame

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    How important are the RPM's and MB's? What RPM's/MB's do you guys recommend?

Thanks

9. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    1, 1.5, or 2TB depending on how many programs you archive for later showings (I keep lots of movies for company that comes by). RPM doesnt matter on a DVR. Just stay away from the WB EARS drive, something about its firmware isnt compat with the DVR. EADS and EVDS work. Im using both those. I have a Seagate 700GB on the HR20, and its been working ok for 3 years. Current big Seagates have caused some problems.

10. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    Are Seagates still as loud as they used to be back in the late 90s? That was the last time I bought one :)

11. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Well, judging by your smilie, you know and I know. For those of you who don't know, DON'T DO IT!!!

Rich

12. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    The RPMs should be 7200 for a Seagate and the WDs apparently vary from 5900 to "I don't know". The cache should be 32MB. I've never seen a post where someone had a 64MB HDD working.

Rich

13. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Crap shoot. Some are loud, some are quiet. Out of all the Seagates I have, only one is annoyingly loud. If it is truly "seeking" something, I wish it would find it and shut up.

Rich

14. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    For the DVR it is not important at all. Internal DVR's SATA controller support only 1.5 Gbps for start.
    5400 PRM is just fine, not telling about 5900, 7200, 10k and 15k :).
    Regular DVR's HDD are using 8 MB cache, increasing it to 16, 32 will not add any benefit to DVR functioning. Perhaps it's good only for your own pace or for Internet proclamations. ;)

15. Jason Whiddon

Jason Whiddon Hall Of Fame

Aug 17, 2006
    I've got a 1TB My DVR Expander and it's working flawlessly with my HR24. Have always had good luck with WD prefab'd enclosures.

16. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Ever notice the lack of comments about the Seagate Showcase? The other "recommended" eSATA?

Rich

17. Jason Whiddon

Aug 17, 2006
    Now that you mention it. I used the FAP when they first came out, but to be honest, this is my 3rd WD EHD and Ive had such good luck, Im sticking with em.

18. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I liked the FAPs, but they were the first of Seagates "passive'' cooling eSATAs that use a special plastic to dissipate the heat and they got too hot to touch. I think that heat retention is what caused so many to fail. They seem to have gotten it right with the Xtremes, which run just warm to the touch.

But, after my experiences with the WD EADS drives and now the EVDS that I just bought, I'm with WD all the way. Just the lack of chattering is worth buying one, altho I did buy one EADS that was the loudest chatterer that I have ever installed. Sent it right back.

Rich

19. Jason Whiddon

Aug 17, 2006
    I had one in 2006-7, and the base did get VERY hot.

20. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    The whole thing gets hot (I'm talking about FAPs). Seagate thought they had the solution to passive enclosures and it just didn't work out when put on a device that runs 24/7. The Xtremes are much cooler. But I've had enough problems with the Xtremes that I wouldn't recommend them for use with a DVR. When mine die, they will not be replaced even tho the Xtremes (and the FAPs) come with a five year replacement warranty. More money down the drain.

Rich