1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

adding a hd receiver question

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by directv newb, Apr 10, 2013.

1. directv newb

directv newb Mentor

Jun 24, 2012
    I have 1 genie and that is all. If I were to buy a standard HD receiver from directv($99.00/no dvr) and hook it up to another t.v. in the house (the cable wire would of course go from the multi switch) would I be able to watch shows that I recorded on my genie or not? Would the new HD receiver have any interaction with the genie at all??? Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
    ps: I am talking about just a HD receiver, no dvr and not the mini genie(c31)

2. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    As long as Whole Home was active, yes you could watch shows that were recorded on the Genie.

Not sure what you mean by interaction.

3. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    all that you can do from an HD receiver is

A) Watch the Genie's playlist
    B) Record to the Genie with the Genie's "default" record options
    C) Delete shows from the Genie's playlist

4. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    And watch live TV. :)

5. directv newb

directv newb Mentor

Jun 24, 2012
    OK, so I am buying the HD reciever, and I will be able to access my recorded shows on my genie's list. Watch live t.v. and I will get a $6.00/month fee and my contract will be extended to 2 years. When I get the receiver in the mail I hook it up/get it activated and then everything should just work?????

As for "B" I don't really understand what that means??

6. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Yes.

You can select something to record on the Genie, but you can't change the Genie's default record options (New, repeats, all, # of episodes, etc.)

7. directv newb

directv newb Mentor

Jun 24, 2012
    Thanks for the info:)

8. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    MRV/Whole home has a $3/mo fee also.

9. directv newb

directv newb Mentor

Jun 24, 2012
    I believe this is charged on your bill when you have the genie even if the genie is your only receiver. So when I add my new receiver it shouldn't change.

10. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    That depends, are you paying the $25/month Advanced Receiver fee (or whatever it is called)? Or do you have the seperate $10 Advanced Receiver - HD, and $10 Advanced Receiver - DVR fees? If you have the former your bill won't change, if you have the latter then you will get a new $3/month Whole Home DVR Fee.

11. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Also if you are ordering from DIRECTV, to avoid an annoying delay in setting it up make sure to ask them to send you a receiver DECA as well;

Since DIRECTV cannot guarantee what model of receiver you get, it could be (and in my area almost certainly will be :rolleyes: ) a refurbed H21 or H23 which require the DECA dongle for Whole Home which never seems to get automatically sent with the receiver even though you have WH on the account.

12. directv newb

directv newb Mentor

Jun 24, 2012
    Hey, thanks to the reply to my post, I have NO idea what a deca is, BUT I am ordering from solid signal so I am guaranteed a brand new H24. So do I need to worry about a deca thingy, and could you explain what a deca
    is please. PLEASE ADVISE, thanx!

13. Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick Icon

Aug 25, 2006
    Long Island
    Rather than requiring Ethernet cables to be run in conjunction with Coax, DirecTV combines Satellite data with Internet/Multi-room viewing data on a single coax cable. Older DVR's & receivers needed these two types of data split into Coax and Ethernet in order to be able to use them. A DECA is essentially a splitter that splits the two signals on the incoming coax into separate coax and Ethernet cables, which are then connected to the DVR/receiver. When connected to a DVR, it also merges the two signals from the DVR into a single coax cable so for Multi-room viewing purposes.

The Genie, newer DVR's and receivers are able to use the combined data on the coax cable. Therefore a DECA is not necessary.

14. directv newb

directv newb Mentor

Jun 24, 2012
    very nice explanation, thank you:)

15. directv newb

directv newb Mentor

Jun 24, 2012
    H24 ordered from solid signal :)
    thanks for all the input

16. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    of course….how did I miss that….:D

17. goinsleeper

goinsleeper Godfather

May 22, 2012
    Just to throw it out there:

DECA = DirecTV Ethernet to Coaxial Adapter

18. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    And to also throw it out there since there is a lot of confusion and conflation of terminology, "DECA" is really the hardware. But the actual networking protocol the DECAs use to signal with is MoCA 1.1 transmitted on 1 of the 5 50 MHz wide channels in the MoCA "E" band of 475-625 MHz used by DIRECTV. :)

19. Volatility

Volatility Legend

May 22, 2010
    i can see people reading that thinking huh? lol jk

It's DECA time!

Basically the DECA Adapter DECA1MR0-01 is a networking-over-coax adapter which allows you to add DVRs and HD receivers to an in-house network for Whole Home DVR and other network features. They work with HR20-HR23, HR21, HR22, HR23, THR22, HR21 Pro DVRs, H21 and H23 HD receivers. They require you to have a Single Wire Multiswitch or SWM for short

A SWM is a product that is designed to let DTV programming from all current and future KAku satellites via a single RG-6 coaxial cable home run to a set of multiple recievers connected using one or more splitters within a customer's home. You need a slimline 3 or 5 dish, a SWM power inserter, and a SWM power passing splitter. SWM's use the frequency range of 974 MHZ to 1790 MHZ for programming guide and content to the IRD tuner. 2.3MHZ for communications b/w SWM equipment and SWM assigns frequencies as specific channel's to each tuner

Also their is a DECA Broadband Adapter DECABB1MR0-01 DCCK that connects your DirecTV network to the internet via an Ethernet cable to your internet router. To access the On Demand, Youtube, Pandora, and any other internet app. This is kinda being phased out with the wireless one.

The wireless DECA Router W-DCCK is like the Deca Broadband Adapter however connects to the actual receiver allowing the receiver to pick up a wireless signal. A common misconception is that the Wireless DECA will not work with the TiVo THR22's, but they will it just needs to be programmed on a PC first. If you want to avoid the price DirecTV charges for a w-dcck, I would not see why an N-Gaming Adapter would not work as well if my theory is correct. But you couldn't be using whole home dvr for this way as the Ethernet port is taken.

Pictures for clarity as Im myself am a visual learner:

Deca Adapter
    [​IMG]

DECA Broadband Adapter
    [​IMG]

DECA Wireless Adapter
    [​IMG]

N-Gaming Adapter
    [​IMG]

SWM
    [​IMG]

20. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Isn't that why we're here? We give everything from basic to technical detail.