1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Adding a Ninth Tuner - No SWM-8

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by Drucifer, Oct 12, 2011.

1. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    I putting in my 9th tuner and I just went out to look at the SWM-8 and there is none. There's just 8-way Splitter screwed to the wall with all connection being used.

So do I just put a SWM-16 between the 8-way and the feed from the dish that's on the roof?

2. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    You would need to change the dish out to a non-SWM SL3 or SL5 (probably SL3 in the NYC metro market) and then put in a separate SWiM-16 module.

3. David Ortiz

David Ortiz Save the Clock Tower!!

Aug 21, 2006
    Fresno, CA
    A SWiM-16 needs the 4 lines from a non-SWiM LNB. Sounds like you'll need to replace your LNB.

4. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Sounds like you have a SWM-LNB, so you'll need to switch that to the 4 output LNB to a SWM 16.

(I hope I'm right.) :lol:

5. Drucifer

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    Well there are four lines are there. But only one is connected.

6. Drucifer

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    Info screen states Slimline-S (SWM)

7. markrogo

markrogo Godfather

Sep 18, 2007
    Right, Drucifer, I have the same setup as you. I once had an older dish and when they upgraded me to a SWM-based LNB and dish (probably the same dish as you), they disconnected the other lines at the dish since the new dish only needed the one wire. As the multiple posts above say, you need yet another new LNB and now four lines coming from the dish -- like the old days, but for a slightly different reason. Once you have the new LNB in and are running 4 lines out of it again, you can attach those to a SWM 16 and have 9 tuners (or up to 16 of course). DirecTV should provide all of this for very little money and install it assuming you are willing to re-up your commitment.

8. Drucifer

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    I just got off the phone with DirecTV/Tech and I'm getting a service call to put back what I had.

9. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Absolutely correct. If you do have someone else do the install, have them check those old lines carefully or just replace them. Everything ages.

10. Drucifer

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    SWM-16 installed and I'm now resting from the running from box to box in a three-story home.

Only the box I've been keep off-line for the last few days had to re-acquire the satellite. As of now all four DVRs are seeing each other and the H25 sees all too.

Now I just got to try to be the first in the northeast to get a HR34.

11. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    And they put two splitters after the SWiM16?

12. Drucifer

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    Had one 8. He put in an additional 4. He moved over two coax from the 8 to the 4 as I reconnected the HR21 I took off the satellite feed. He connected four because he had no termination caps. The two extra coax are from when each tuner required a feed.

Anyone want to send me two caps?

13. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    If no one sends you any, Amazon has a 4-pack for $3. And remember, no more than 8 tuners from either of the two outputs of the SWiM16. Someone else said their rule of thumb was only use 4-way splitters and that way you can't mess it up.

14. Drucifer

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    I am an Amazon Prime. Can get a 10-pack for a few pennies more. I'll hit Radio Shack the next time I go to Shop-Rite. The hard part is going to remember to do so.