1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Adding a Receiver

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by Xiteer, Nov 29, 2011.

1. Xiteer

Xiteer Cool Member

Jan 16, 2008
    My current setup involves 2 HR24 receivers with MRV and an extra drop in my office where the satellite cable is just hooked up to a box that gets my system online. I would now like to add a receiver in the office.. how difficult is this? I'm thinking of buying either a H24 (if it can see my other receivers and watch their recorded programs) or a HR24 (if I decide to splurge) from Solid Signal for that room but I don't want to lose my internet connectivity.. are there splitters that will allow this to happen or will this require a new run from the dish?

2. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    adding a receiver and using a 2-way green labeled splitter, should be simple.

3. Xiteer

Xiteer Cool Member

Jan 16, 2008
    This one? http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?mc=02&p=SPLIT2MRV&d=DIRECTV-SWS2-Satellite-2Way-Wide-Band-MRV-Compatible-Splitter-(2-2150-MHz)&c=Satellite%20Splitters&sku=874409002404

Is it possible that the installer already has a splitter somewhere in the attic or something that could hose me? Can you split as many times as you want or is there a small limit? I was pretty specific on where the dish was to be located and how the cables were to be ran both down the side of the house into the cable distribution box for the downstairs outlet and the bedroom outlet along with a new run into the attic from the dish and a wall fish in the office... of course I paid extra for being so demanding. At one point during the install he asked me how I would feel about a splitter.. I told him I don't care as long as it works and my wife doesn't see cables.. at this point do I now care about the splitter? :)

4. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    That is the right splitter.
    If you have more than one receiver now, you have a splitter in the attic.
    If your coax runs are fairly long, then adding another splitter can cause issues.
    "I would guess", you can add a 2-way without any problems, as it adds no more than 5 dB of loss.

5. mcbeevee

mcbeevee 97% Complete

Sep 18, 2006
    The H24 can see/play the recordings on the HR24's. If space is an issue, you could order the smaller H25.

:)

6. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Just to confirm though, to the OP, do you have supported MRV with SWM? That would be required with an H25, as it does not have an ethernet jack.

7. Xiteer

Xiteer Cool Member

Jan 16, 2008
    I do have supported MRV with SWM.