Adding a single, additional channel to DTV service without upgrading package

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by DemonBS, Jan 10, 2016.

1. DemonBS

DemonBS New Member

Oct 28, 2007
    Have any of you successfully gotten DTV to add a channel a la carte, without having to upgrade to the next package?

Case in point, we subscribe to their Xtra pkg but I want the El Rey Network, which is buried in their Ultimate pkg tier. There is literally nothing else I want out of that tier except for El Rey.

Sidenote: I also have no leverage as I'm 2 months into a 2 yr contract...

Any success stories out there for adding single channels?

Skol Vikes,

DemonBS
    Twitter: MovieBuffoon

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    I think it's impossible.

3. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Sure ... how does $8 sound for the one channel?

That is the biggest problem with "a la carte" ... individual channels are not sold cheaply. It is not worth the hassle to DIRECTV (or other carriers) to sell a la carte unless they can make a decent profit.

4. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    That depends on the channel right? There are several channels that are available this way. I think that Outdoorsman channel or what ever it rebranded to, that dog channel, just the Encore movie channels alone as well. Who knows what all channels are available this way. You would have to call to ask but I know there are some. As for the ones the OP spoke of, doubtful. It is in other packages. I have Choice Extra Classic and its available in that. I know its not common practice to let anyone into a grandfathered package but if you talk to the right person at DirecTV, maybe it could happen. I know they say once you move off a grandfathered package its gone and can never come back. I have had DirecTV accidently change mine twice and was able to change it back so its possible.

5. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    At least at one point BabyTV was a la carte as well. But it won't happen in this case. As for moving to a grandfathered package, I think the key in your case is you moved back after they changed it within 30 days. Also helps that you didn't want to move.

6. bjlc

bjlc Icon

Aug 20, 2004
    some channels are available a la Cart.. the outdoor channel for one.. I pay $3 for that channel a month and I have the grandfathered choice extra plus supreme before the beginning of time plan..
    I think that the baby channel and the dog channel can be gotten as well. I have inquired about cloo but they will NOT give me that one a la Cart..

7. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    Cloo is one I wanted as well that they removed from the Choice Xtra Classic a few years ago I think. Im not going to Ultimate as I add Starz sometimes and I refuse to pay for the Encore channels twice just because I want to add Starz. El Ray is kinda cool. I do watch it sometimes. I think I saw Airwolf episodes airing on it a few months back.

8. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Of course. I was referring to the OP's question about El Rey Network.

9. studechip

studechip Godfather

Apr 16, 2012
    I don't think Cloo was ever in that package. I have it and don't remember ever getting it.

10. southsider

southsider New Member

Mar 16, 2013
    Dallas
    Ultimate also includes The Movie Channel, so I guess you'd be paying for that twice if you're a Showtime subscriber.

11. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma