1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

adding a xbox to my network

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by dod1450, Dec 7, 2011.

1. dod1450

dod1450 Legend

Dec 16, 2009
    I am unable to find an answer, but can I add a xbox and blu-ray dvd to Directv MRV SWN if I put a hub from the cable that plugs into my HR24. From the HUB I plug into the HR24 , Blu-ray player, and xbox360? From what I can tell this looks possible.

Thanks

2. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    :confused: SWiM, MRV, & HR24 should mean there isn't an ethernet cable plugged in to the HR24, as the coax networking should be used.
    Hubs are about the worst thing to add to an ethernet MRV for more connections, since they flood the network with excess packets.

3. dod1450

dod1450 Legend

Dec 16, 2009
    I would like to use the RJ-45 that is connected to my HR24 and I use a hub for simplicity since I was hoping to obtain my ip from my dhcp server to support the xbox and blu-ray player.

4. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    This sounds like you have MRV through "unsupported", so you're free to do whatever you want. Adding a switch would be a better idea than a hub.

5. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008
    A Small Switch would be much better (Switch has bi directional data ports) A HUB port transmits one way at a time.

Your Xbox will work much better attached to a switch.

6. Kodok

Kodok AllStar

Feb 9, 2008
    The unsupported way, and I think it's a cleaner approach would be to split the RG6 coax line going to your HR24 using 'DirecTV approved' 2 way splitter and connect the other end to another DirecTV CCK (DECA). This, of course, assuming that you already have DirecTV CCK to download your movies to your HR through the internet.

And yes, I agree with everyone to use a switch instead of a hub.

7. gilviv

gilviv Godfather

Sep 18, 2007
    Miami, FL. USA
    I have a switch that my XBOX plugs into and all works great. I got the switch on a recomendation from someone here at the forum, when I wanted to to have 2 HDDVRs seeing the internet from the same location(prior to whole home upgrade) I later added the XBOX and all where on the switch.