Adding an External Hard Drive to HR34 Genie

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Michael - AZ, Sep 5, 2015.

1. Michael - AZ

Michael - AZ New Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Just want to see if I understand things correctly. I currently have a Genie HR34. My understanding is that this has an Internal 1TB Hard Drive.
    1. If I install an External Hard Drive (i.e. WD 2 TB), will this generate a new 2 year contract with D*? As of today, my last 2 year commitment is up.
    2. Is the WD 2TB Hard Drive a good one, or is there something better?
    3. Also, will all of my recordings (which are currently on my Genie - about 80% full), not be available any longer?
    4. Has D* finally come up with a system to transfer Genie recordings to the External HD?
    5. I currently have about 50+ series recordings set on my Genie. Will I have to go through the entire process of adding the series recordings to the External HD?

Thanks for any help in giving me something to think about before I decide on the External HD.

Michael

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    1. No, adding an external drive will not change your contract.
    2. Yes, folks generally have no issues with WD eSATA drives. Just be sure it's an eSATA drive, or that you're mounting the SATA Drive inside an eSATA enclosure.
    3. Correct. You won't see your internal drive's recordings when the external drive is connected.
    4. No, there's no way to transfer recordings between an internal/external drive.
    5. Yes, you'll have to re-create those Series Recordings.

3. Michael - AZ

Michael - AZ New Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Thanks for the quick response. You answered all my questions.

Michael

4. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I'd put a 3TB drive in the external device, the TT external devices will go that high and you can get a Green Caviar WD drive at a decent price on Amazon. Here's a link to a WD Green Caviar HDD that I've used with no problems. At ~$95 it's a good deal, I think.

Rich