Adding Direct TV in another room

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by berf2, Jan 16, 2020 at 12:16 PM.

1. berf2

berf2 New Member

Yesterday
    I'm trying to add Direct TV into a bedroom but I don't want another 2 year contract extension, so I'm trying to figure out my options, and I hoping someone can help.

1. Can I buy a wired Genie Mini myself from Ebay or Amazon and just pay the $6/month fee and get it activated without having to enter another 2 year contract?

2. If option 1 is no good, then what is the best way to extend HDMI about 200 ft? Should I get a wired CAT5/6 adapter and string CAT 6 into the bedroom and just connect it to an existing box?

3. I already have a standard video cable going into the bedroom, is there any way to transmit HDMI over existing coax though some sort of converter box?

4. Are the wireless HDMI transmitter/receivers any good, or should I stick with a wired solution?

2. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    No, adding equipment triggers a new commitment.

3. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    wired-wifi-compare.png

4. ericknolls

ericknolls Active Member

Aug 18, 2013
    New York,...
    That's how DIRECTV made that record $4.7 billion profit in the 2013 - 2014 year. Charging all those equipment fees like they were a bank! They make a lot of money this way.

5. berf2

berf2 New Member

Yesterday
    So what is the best option for extending HDMI?

6. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Why don't you tell us about the 200 foot HDMI cable run. Have a big lot with other buildings? What are you trying to do?

Rich

7. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    For 200 feet? Not sure if anybody here has tried that. You might end up needing something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Flashmen-Amp...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=
    I have used a 25 foot HDMI cable to put the same picture on a couple TV sets using these: https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics...id=1579198013&sprefix=hdmi+cou,aps,163&sr=8-3 but I don't know how much loss you would get in a 200 foot run. The amplifier I linked to above might help with that.

Rich

8. berf2

berf2 New Member

Yesterday
    The 200 ft run is an intentionally long estimate, because the cable routing is not going to be in a straight line. It will probably have to route into the basement and then go around a couple rooms to get to where I need it. Straight line distance between the two TV's is probably under 50 ft. Running the CAT6 cable is going to be problematic, and involve carpentry solutions. I can probably do it, but it won't be pretty. I have existing coax to the room that I could use, but I don't have ethernet cable going to it. But I'm a bit scared of going with a wireless solution, because there are several walls and appliances (kitchen) between the two rooms.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2020 at 1:22 PM
  9. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I had problems getting Ethernet cabling to every room in our home that has a TV set. Took me awhile but I did it. I did not want to depend on a wireless connection for anything. Look at the posts about that in this thread...that's pure truth! I've had speeds over 200 Mbps down for years and I want nothing to do with wireless. You're worried about walls and appliances? I have a top of the line router maybe 15' from one TV set and I thought I could get away with a wireless connection. That did not work out well and it's now hardwired. No walls or appliances just problems.

I've run a lot of wire/cabling and conduit in my life and I don't think you're gonna need a 200' HDMI cable. Not to go 50'. Unless you have a really weird run. I get the idea it's better to have too much cabling than not enough but you're gonna see losses. I think. That's what the amplifier I linked to is for.

Rich

10. berf2

berf2 New Member

Yesterday
    If I run HDMI cable, I'll have to add a splitter to the DTV box. Are there any problems associated with HDCP errors if I add an HDMI splitter to the DTV box output?

11. b4pjoe

b4pjoe New Member

Nov 19, 2010
  12. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Yes. Your HDMI Splitter must support HDCP copy protection. Most modern powered HDMI splitters should do that.

13. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Regardless of how you do this, keep in mind that the second room will have to watch the same programming, at the same time, as the first room. It won't have any independent ability to change channels or view recordings.

The monthly fee isn't so much for the rental of equipment, it is for providing a second (or however many) additional viewing location - for providing service to that location. Good or bad, right or wrong, it is how both DirecTV, and now AT&T, have done things for decades (as do Dish, Comcast, etc. - all providers).

I've done hdmi extension for about 40 feet over cat5e with success. I don't know how it will work over considerably longer distances. Used REI EX-165C HDMI extender. Says it will work over 164 feet (50 meters).

14. berf2

berf2 New Member

Yesterday
    The monthly fee doesn't bother me, its the additional 2 year contract that I don't want. I'm 2/3 of the way through my current contract and I don't want it extended. If I could buy a Genie Mini myself and just pay the monthly fee, I'd be happy with that.

15. makaiguy

makaiguy Icon

Sep 24, 2007
    Aiken, SC
    You might want to consider using ethernet-over-powerline adaptors. I've used these successfully in the past.
    Google search

16. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008
    I suggest you check out Monoprice . com Web site and Look for Extending HDMI over Cat 5/6 -- Then just run a Cat 6 Cable 200' -- or if you want to add a 200' HDMI cable Get your Splitter and lay it on the floor to the other room and TEST to see if it work --Before you Waste your time Running the HDMI or CAT6 Cable Through the walls --If it works the proceed.

17. Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick Icon

Aug 25, 2006
    Long Island
    Do you have any intention of canceling DirecTV in the next two years? If not, why spend money to avoid a new commitment? Also, if you still have 8 months on your current commitment, then you'd only be extending the commitment by 16 month, not 2 years. They don't add 2 years to your existing commitment, they start a new 2 year commitment.

18. berf2

berf2 New Member

Yesterday
    Yes, there is a good chance I may want to cancel in the future and I don't want to be in a new 2 yr contract.

19. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    I read something a few years ago that said that cable/satellite companies would all be losing money if they were forced to eliminate all equipment fees. I think they probably charge pretty much their own cost for the packages, and the equipment fees cover the overhead and profit.

20. B Newt

B Newt Icon

Aug 12, 2007
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2020 at 5:50 PM