Adding Hard Drive?

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by dandoshan, Oct 26, 2009.

1. dandoshan

dandoshan AllStar

Jul 14, 2006
    Just exactly what is it you can do to increase your recording storage? Certain type of hard drive that connects to USB port or what. Then just call dish for authorization and pay a one time fee.
    If you have this increased storage on the connected hard drive does it still retain the Dolby 5.1 audio. Do the programs stored show then show up when you check your recordings list?

2. olguy

olguy Hall Of Fame

Jan 9, 2006
    You've got it. And if you have more than one receiver that is EHD capable you can use the EHD on it as well. The EHD is married to your account, not a specific receiver. I currently have a 1 T and a 500 gig that I move between 2 622s.
    DD 5.1 is retained. I currently have several Paladia, Soundstage, Austin City Limits, etc on the 1 T.

The individual programs will not show up when you get your recordings list up. There will be a My Media showing if your EHD is active. Click that, wait a few seconds for the receiver to read the EHD and then all the programs on the EHD will be listed. You can then view from the EHD or move them back to the receiver.

3. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Note that recording directly to the EHD is not supported so you'll periodically need to manually offload content to the EHD. It is done in the background and shouldn't interfere with active recording or viewing.

4. MadScientist

MadScientist Godfather

Nov 30, 2004
    What happens if the hard drive on your account fails? Can I just buy a new hard drive and use it? Since I already have one on my account with dish network?

5. olguy

olguy Hall Of Fame

Jan 9, 2006
    Yes, just connect the new EHD, let the receiver format it and it's good to go. Just like adding an additional EHD.

6. Michael P

Michael P Hall Of Fame

Oct 27, 2004
    You can have as many EHD's as you wish once you pay the one-time fee.

7. BobaBird

BobaBird EKB Editor

Mar 30, 2002
    Point of clarification here...
    The EHD may be moved amongst receivers of each type. Additional storage is the Archival function for the 612/622/722/722k. The other use is DVR Conversion for the 211/211k. Each has its own one-time ~$40 upgrade fee that applies to all receivers of that type on your account.

8. dandoshan

dandoshan AllStar

Jul 14, 2006
    Thanks, but it is still not clear to me if any hard drive will work or if you need a special one or kind. Thought I read somewhere that not just any type of HD will work.

9. GrumpyBear

GrumpyBear Hall Of Fame

Feb 1, 2006
    Any Quality Brand EHD, upto 1tb will work just fine.

10. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    The drive must be larger than the internal drive and it must be USB 2.0 connected. eSATA nor Firewire only drives need not apply.

11. coldsteel

coldsteel Hall Of Fame

Mar 29, 2007
    Not quite. The minimum is 40 GB, but why use something so little...

12. Michael P

Michael P Hall Of Fame

Oct 27, 2004
    I use a 1.5tb Seagate and it works fine.

13. nsafreak

nsafreak Legend

Mar 23, 2004
    Curious question. Does the receiver see the full 1.5TB drive or just 1TB? Last update said that the EHD function "officially" supports 1TB but nothing about larger drivers.

14. Michael P

Michael P Hall Of Fame

Oct 27, 2004
    When I formatted the 1.5 TB the 622 saw a little bit over "1300 GB".

If you had a 1 TB drive it would probably see ~900 GB. You lose space in the formatting, no matter what size drive you have.

One thing to remember: the EHD has to be a single platter drive and has to have it's own power supply (i.e. no USB powered drives).

If you are speaking "officially" then the ViP series DVR's only support a 750GB drive.

15. samsmith

samsmith Legend

Oct 31, 2009
    officially VIP series supports Size between 50GB and 1TB.
    (one-time External Hard Drive Activation Fee of $39.99)

16. Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    Not a single platter drive (nearly all drives are multi-platter) but a single spindle drive. Some external hard drives have multiple drives inside the box, these will not work, except for those that have a hardware raid ZERO built in, but that is an other chapter altogether.

17. bschulte

bschulte Cool Member

Oct 26, 2009
    Question. Do you need to set up the EHD to "power down" when it isn't in use? I've heard horror stories of drives working furiously for three months continuously and finally breaking down.

18. TulsaOK

TulsaOK New Member

Feb 23, 2004
    I think it depends on which drive you install. My Western Digital My Book Essential drives spin down after a period of inactivity. Other drives have been reported to have a problem spinning back up.

19. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Because the EHD is only "working" when you're using it, most of the time it is just spinning idly. Other systems that use it in a live scenario put a bigger hurt on the drive.

20. klingonscum

klingonscum Cool Member

May 13, 2009
    I've got a 722 and a 625; the 625 is hooked up to an SDTV that I'm getting ready to replace with an HDTV. I called DISH up and they said they'd swap out the 625 for an HD DVR free (I have free upgrade eligibility), but they're giving me a 622 instead of a 722. Now having said that...my kids have a ton of stuff recorded on the 625 they don't want to lose. I'd like to be able to archive 'em to an EHD on the 625, then swap the 625 out for the 622, and transfer 'em from the EHD to the 622 so they won't lose anything.

Will that work? Specifically:
    1) Does that one time $39.99 charge allow you to use an EHD on ANY of your DVRs regardless of model, or do you need to pay it per model?

2) Can you use the same EHD between models (shows recorded on a 625 can go to a 722/622)? Obviously, I don't expect to be able to put HD shows from a 722 on an SD DVR like a 625, but can SD shows go from a 625 to a 622/722?

--KS