1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Adding HR23 to HR20 with MRV tomorrow

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by jeffjob, Jan 28, 2010.

1. jeffjob

jeffjob Cool Member

Oct 27, 2007
    Hi All;

I am replacing a D*Tivo with an HR23 Tomorrow.

My current HR20 is networked and I set up the MRV beta on it.

I think I saw D* say that the Beta MRV is only available to currently networked DVR's.

Anyone know if I wil be able to add my HR23 to my HR20 for MRV, (even though it is a new DVR)?

I'm the guy that bought this from Amazon. My first time buying one from other than D*.

So I unpack it, insert the access card, connect it to the two coax cables, plug it in and call D* to authorize, correct?

I don't know the term, but the HR20 has those convertors on the back. The HR23 does not need them, correct?

Anything else I should do / know for the install?

Thanks All... Jeff

2. cskenney

cskenney New Member

Dec 22, 2009
    I'm new to Directv, but I have been doing a lot of reading on the forums here.

The converters you are describing sound like B-Band converters. According to what I have read, the HR23 does not need external B-Band converters (BBC) as the tuner in the HR23 is a wide band tuner.

You should be able to network the HR23 and HR20. Directv was trying to discourage people from installing new home networks just to get MRV. It appears there are plans in the work to offer a new solution to customers that want MRV that will use DECA. If you already have the ethernet cable run, it isn't an issue.

3. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    DirecTV doesn't want people to rush out and spend lots of time or money JUST to network their receivers, since they are developing a simple solution for that and will offer it at a fairly low price. They don't want customers to make a big investment now and then be upset when a simple solution becomes available.

BUT... nothing will be as good as a real, switched Ethernet network, so if you already have one, then you're better off with that anyway vs. the upcoming "DECA" solution.

4. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Yes, as long as it's networked.

5. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    However, from the beta page:

Please note the DIRECTV Multi-Room HD DVR service is currently in its beta testing phase. During this beta phase, the service will be offered at no charge. Once the service is out of beta and has launched nationally there will be a monthly service fee for the service.

Please do not purchase any additional receivers to participate in this beta trial. If your existing receivers are not currently networked please do not network them to participate in the beta testing phase. Once the service launches nationally there will be a special offer available to take advantage of the service.

6. jeffjob

jeffjob Cool Member

Oct 27, 2007
    All went well with the install and set up of MRV.

MRV working well between the hr20 & hr23.

Helps solve a lot of issues for me. Gets me past conflicts needing to record more than 2 programs at once. Also gets me past the 50 entry limit in the series manager.

Hats off to D* for having one of the most profecient and nice CSR I have ever experienced.

And thank you all!