1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Adding HR24-100 to a HR44-500 / SWM setup

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by seigell, Sep 19, 2013.

1. seigell

seigell New Member

May 8, 2009
    Suburbs in...
    I'm consolidating two households, and want to determine whether it is possible to integrate a HR24-100 into an existing HR44-500 / SWM setup. The old HR24-100 operates pretty well, and is stuffed full of recordings that she wants to retain. It'll go into a spare bedroom/craftsroom, which has a coax drop but has never seen a receiver. The HR44-500 is remaining as the main Entertainment System.

Can this be done ?? What do I need to add /remove in order integrate the non-SWM HR24-100 ?? What do I need to look for, or avoid, in order to not fry the HR24-100 ??

Hoping to make her happy... Need a bit of help...

2. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    The HR24 is SWM capable. So all you need is a connection from whatever your existing SWM system has to the HR24.

To help further please tell us what you system has now. Is the LNB on the dish an SWM version ornot?
    What splitters do you havve. And most importantly, how many tuners are on your existing system?

Ignoring your two households statement. :)

3. seigell

seigell New Member

May 8, 2009
    Suburbs in...
    Equipment:
    HR44-500 in Great Room as main Entertainment System
    R21 in Bedroom (almost never used)
    Rest of house wired coax but never used
    Slimline 5 SWM LNB Dish

I honestly don't know much about the cabling inside the walls and ceiling (might suffer heatstroke to check that out as it's still reaching low 100's here).

That the HR24-100 is SWM Capable is a plesant surprise - I'd figured not as her place didn't have a SWM Dish but rather 2x Coax to back of HR24-100...

What do I need to worry about with regard to Splitters ?? I assume / hope that craftroom drop runs directly back to cable utility box at side of house.

4. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    The splitters need to be the "green" labeled type to support WH service.

And did you mean an "H21" (non-DVR) receiver in the bedroom?

5. seigell

seigell New Member

May 8, 2009
    Suburbs in...
    I'm pretty sure the Bedroom Receiver is the even older R21 - the SD model - as its hooked to an old analog TV. (non-DVR / non-HD)

I'm not currently contemplating a Whole Home setup - as only the HR44-500 is capable. Do I still need to worry about "green label" splitters in this case ??

Add'l Q: I have only the one Power Inserter, mounted in the Entertainment System behind the HR44-500. What does this do to the Splitter consideration ?? What does this do to the HR24-100 "SWM capable" mode on it's "separate coax" ??

6. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    If you add the HR24, that DVR is WH capable as well.

Regarding the SWiM splitter, yes make sure the coax run containing the PI is connected to the port with "red" colored insert, as that is the only power passing one.

And even if you are not interested in WH, the "green" label SWiM splitters are the most commonplace sold now, so you may as well just purchase.them since it won't harm anything and having them already installed will allow you to easily upgrade to WH sevice in the future if you decide to.

Also, their is no record of an R21 non-DVR receiver. Only a past mislabeling incident on the carton's at some of the Big-box stores for what actually contained an R22 DVR.

May want to take a good look at what that receiver model is again.

7. seigell

seigell New Member

May 8, 2009
    Suburbs in...
    Bedroom is a RCA DRD420RE (told you it was OLD).

Will it continue to work with the HR24-100 added (in non-WholeHome mode) ??
    (Not the biggest loss if it isn't - don't think that I've had it turned On since the last time that I was Bed-ridden Sick; Great Room is too Comfy and, well, Great...)

8. seigell

seigell New Member

May 8, 2009
    Suburbs in...
    Yes, my newly purchased SWM Splitter is a "green label" 4x1 port model.

9. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    No, that old receiver will not work with WH.

In fact it won't even work with SWiM systems.

And in fact it's got to go, as it will soon become a brick. That model relies on the old "Master Program Guide" which will be turned off before the end of this year. You need to call DIRECTV and have it swapped out for a free D12 SD receiver upgrade (that is if you even want to keep a receiver in the bedroom).

Just ask the CSR about the "MPG swap" program setup for receivers of that vintage.

The D12 will work with SWiM, but not WH.

1 person likes this.
  10. seigell

seigell New Member

May 8, 2009
    Suburbs in...
    Thanks. Sounds like the next "chore" after getting the HR24-100 in place.

The HR24-100 has a pair of "B-Band" Dongles inline on each Coax.
    Do I want/need to put those into the new configuration ??

I plan on hooking the HR24-100 to only one Coax connected to Sat1, as I only have one coax drop in that room.
    Will I have perpetual "No Signal on Sat2 - 771 Errors" ??

The SWiM 4-port Splitter is outside at the Cable Utility Box, as that is where each room's cable run terminates.
    Can I place a 2nd "green-label" 2-port splitter in this room, if the HR24-100 does need 2x coax feeds just for basic operation ??

Just one more thing to realize at the last minute...
    Thanks in advance for any help.

11. LiQiCE

LiQiCE Mentor

Feb 13, 2006
    Northern...
    I hate to be the bearer of bad news but - In terms of consolidating two households - I'm assuming you're canceling 1 DTV account?

Assuming the HR24 is leased - one problem you may have is that DTV will want you to return that HR24 when you cancel the DTV account. As far as I know you can't simply activate the HR24 on a different account unless you pay the non-return fee ($135) on the HR24 when you deactivate the HR24 on the original account - then technically the HR24 becomes owned and you can activate it on a different account (will take a call to the Access Card Department and an explanation of what you want to do).

Unless the HR24-100 is already owned - then you can do it, but you'd have to pay $20 for a new access card.

So there's a solution - but it might cost you $135 for the non-returned HDDVR fee + $20 for a new access card.

BTW - on your question with the 2 coax connections. The HR24 has 2 coax connections for legacy connections. If you use SWM you only need 1 coax connection. Just like your HR44 only needs 1 coax connection for all 5 tuners, the HR24 only needs 1 when using SWM to feed its 2 tuners. You definitely do not need to connect a SWM splitter and feed both coax connections. The 2nd connection is ONLY needed if you have an older non-SWM multiswitch - look at the back of the HR24, it should say "Tuner 1 or SWM" and then the 2nd coax says "Tuner 2". With SWM you only need to plug into Tuner 1.

Oh and you don't want to use the B-Band converters on the HR24 with your SWM setup anymore. So just 1 coax connection, directly into the first coax connection of your HR24 is all you need!

12. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    I'll be the bearer of more bad news. Paying the non-return fee does NOT make the DVR "owned". It can only be reactivated on the account where it was initially leased.

13. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    I was about to mention this. everybody jumped on the trouble shooting train, but this may be a moot point

14. LiQiCE

LiQiCE Mentor

Feb 13, 2006
    Northern...
    It doesn't happen automatically - thats true, but according to conversations I've had with a DTV Retention CSR - they make exceptions if you are trying to move a receiver from one account to another so as not to lose your recordings in situations such as this. I was told the Access Card Department can change the status of a receiver from leased to owned once you pay the non-return fee and then can activate it on another account.

I don't know how often it happens - but at least from what I've been told it is possible. The CSR could have been lying through his teeth but he had a very long and believable story where this happened.