Adding internet to analog headend?

Discussion in 'Cable TV Discussion' started by Fixxer, Oct 12, 2020.

1. Fixxer

Fixxer New Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Hello,
    I hope I am posting this in the right section... I have a 61ch analog headend serving 88 drops. I am trying to figure out if it would be possible to add internet service to this system and what kind of bandwidth i could expect at each drop. I am currently running 3 combiners into an old cable system that was installed around 1997. I am trying to figure out what equipment would be required, learn how to install and maintain it, what if any upgrades that i could make to our CATV system to better support internet. I installed Dish Network for 5 years, but honestly don't know much at all about CATV systems. Any help is much appreciated.
    Thanks

2. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    If you don't have small groups of units, DOCSIS is probably your only choice. Having analog TV channels makes broadband considerably less attractive as what's left over to use for broadband isn't nearly as much as it would be with a digital setup.

3. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    Providing Internet on such a system will not be easy nor cheap.
    Need to convert all source material to QAM, shrinking the bandwidth (and eventually encrypting ) for each channel.
    New customer Boxes that can receive QAM to all existing and any future customers.
    Then you get the fun of (possibly) adding subchannels from the local broadcasters.
    And now you can consider doing internet with DOCSIS equipment - ordering your upstream connection(s) and your DOCSIS equipment, figuring out what cable modems you want to support.

All in all - this system is begging to be bought up by somebody with deep pockets and already has the experiance under their belt.