1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Adding Linux to Windows

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by kevinturcotte, Oct 5, 2012.

1. kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte Active Member

Dec 19, 2006
    Outside...
    Currently have a Windows 7 PC at home. I'm planning on adding Linux to it. Anything I need to know to do this? Is there good FREE partitioning software out there? How much should I reserve for Linux? What about booting into Linux? Is that something my motherboard will handle itself? Will I need to tell it I have 2 OS's? If it helps, this is my motherboard: http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1366/P6X58D_Premium/

2. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    I installed Ubuntu on my win7 machine. It uses NTFS, so I didnt need to repartition anything. Short of that, just drop a second drive in the computer for the Linux stuff and keep everything separate.

The Ubuntu install created a Windows Boot manager entry, so when the PC is booted, you have 10 second to decide which one, after which it defaults to loading windows. That is all customizable BTW

3. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    If you go with Ubuntu it will take care of all your partitioning (resizing, etc) for you and setup the GRUB bootloader. That will allow you to choose which OS you want to use when you boot.

I wouldn't use the Windows Boot Manager, use GRUB and let Linux use it's default format of EXT4, not NTFS.

4. kevinturcotte

Dec 19, 2006
    Outside...
    No problem with NTFS and EXT4 on the same drive (Different partitions obviously)? Ubuntu is probably what I'll choose. VERY new to Linux.

5. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    No issues with different file systems.

Just in case something happens with the resize, I'd still back up your windows data.

6. kevinturcotte

Dec 19, 2006
    Outside...
    I actually don't keep anything major on the Windows drive. Everything is on my NAS in RAID 1 lol

7. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    No, no problem at all. I have a dual boot laptop that has Windows 7 NTFS and Ubuntu Linux EXT4 Encrypted. Once you have Windows installed then go for Ubuntu and it will walk you through the whole setup and install process. It will even determine how to resize your windows partition and make sure a chkdsk is run on the Windows partition on the next boot into windows.