1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Adding more HD DVR

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by Ferguson, Aug 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ferguson

Ferguson Cool Member

Jul 25, 2006
    I don't know if anyone is patient enough to work through this, but before I call Dish to buy hoping you can suggest how to best do this.

I have:

VIP211 - leased, contract term met
    311 - leased, contract term met
    VIP622 - leased, contract term met
    625 - purchased

I want to get rid of the 311 and get another HD DVR, the 612 is more than adequate.

Dish can't seem to talk to anyone, normally, with more than 4 tuners, which is why I bought the 625 long ago.

I might also just give up the 625, which is not much used with a kid at college. Though he leaves it recording while he is there. :nono2:

Anyway... am I going to have any luck talking to Dish? Should I ask to upgrade, trade in, or will they tell me "can't have more than 4 tuners" which is what happened 2+ years ago.

Find a local dealer and buy a 612 outright?

Advice welcomed.

2. garys

garys Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2005
    Unless you give up the 211, Dish will not lease you another dual tuner receiver (which the 612 is even though there is only one tv output). Buying the 612 may be your best option.

3. Blowgun

Blowgun DHMO User

May 23, 2008
    Western Arc
    IIRC, wasn't the 612 one of the current receivers DISH was having a lot of problems with? If that is still the case, I would stay away from it.

4. jclewter79

jclewter79 Hall Of Fame

Jan 8, 2008
    trade in the 311 and the 211 and get a 722, one HDTV and one SDTV all in one box.

5. n0qcu

n0qcu Legend/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    I believe I read on one of these forums that even though the 612 has two tuners that E* counts it as one towards the lease limit.

6. Ferguson

Ferguson Cool Member

Jul 25, 2006
    I already have a VIP622, am familiar with it, but I have no more SDTV's.

Frankly having a second TV that is only SD is rather silly I think, and they go out of their way to not mention that in many of their ads.

i was going to keep the 625 as on visits home it ought to be good enough for by son. But wanted HD in my office, and if I'm going to have a HDTV might as well haev a DVR.

7. BNUMM

BNUMM Hall Of Fame

Dec 23, 2006
    Create a second account.

8. puckwithahalo

puckwithahalo Hall Of Fame

Sep 2, 2007
    for tuner counting purposes the 612 only counts as a single tuner because it can only serve a single television, so just have them upgrade the 311 to a 612

9. Mr-Rick

Mr-Rick Legend

Nov 30, 2004
    Simple, contact your original dealer and upgrade the 311 to a 612.

Rick

10. Blowgun

Blowgun DHMO User

May 23, 2008
    Western Arc
    Why, if the 612 has lots of problems, would people keep recommending a 612 receiver?

11. puckwithahalo

puckwithahalo Hall Of Fame

Sep 2, 2007
    because the receiver is the best fit for his situation, and the problems are software related and are in the process of being fixed? These sort of bugs always accompany a new model of receiver.

12. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    All DISH receivers when new have software problems it takes DISH 6 mo. to a year to get software semi debugged.

13. Blowgun

Blowgun DHMO User

May 23, 2008
    Western Arc
    I believe many people might get a little annoyed that they were told that a certain receiver was the "best fit" for their situation, only to later find out that it's going to take another "6 mo. to a year to get software semi debugged" in their brand new receiver. They may even wonder why no one bothered to mentioned that tidbit of information ahead of time. At least now Ferguson can make an informed decision and choose whether or not he wants to play the lab rat role for the next 6 months to a year while DISH sorts out the firmware. :)

14. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Based on what I see on the ViP612 L6.00 Software Experiences/Bugs Discussion thread, the ViP612 software bugs may be at the point there are no more than the ViP722 and less than the ViP622. For example:
    and
    Not that there aren't problems out there with all these machines....

15. Blowgun

Blowgun DHMO User

May 23, 2008
    Western Arc
    If true, that's certainly is good news for 612 users.

True, a good example is that there hasn't been a good firmware release for the 5xx models for 1½ years. Started out bad, got much better, then it has been downhill ever since.

16. Ferguson

Ferguson Cool Member

Jul 25, 2006
    Well, I was pleasantly surprised, I called and asked for an upgrade.

They offered the 211, I said "no, DVR".

They offered the 612. I asked about a 622/722 and was told that they could only provide the 612 because it was a single tuner.

I pointed out it was a dual tuner, they said they did not care, it said right in their computer it counted as a single tuner, and I could only have four.

I very definitely did not point out that with the 612 even counting as 1 I would have 6 tuners (622=2, 625=2, 211=1 plus new 612). Maybe since I paid for the 625 it didn't count at all.

So $75 later and $2 more per month it is on the way.

And I'll cross my fingers most of the bugs are worked out.

Thanks for the advice folks.

17. reddice

reddice Godfather

Feb 18, 2003
    I have a 612 and I am pleased with it. I wanted to get a 722 but they said I could not get it since it is only hooked up to one TV. I have 3 other 510 receivers and they said that if I got a 722 the second tuner would be hooked up to my grandmothers TV which does no good since she watches different programs than I watch and I want the ability to watch something while recording another program. So I oped for the 612. It is for the most part stable and they are now up to 601 software.

Just bear in mind that unlike the 622 and 722 that you can't swap tuners or use PIP even though it is on the remote. All you can do with the second tuner is record something while you watch something on the first tuner. That is fine for me.

18. BobaBird

BobaBird EKB Editor

Mar 30, 2002
    Dish will generally only lease receivers to service a maximum of 4 rooms. Ferguson, you have a 211 (1 room), 622 (2 rooms), and replacing a 311 with a 612 (both 1 room). Anything beyond that, such as the 625 in your case, must be purchased.

And shame on Dish for referring to outputs as tuners :nono:, though somewhat understandable in explaining lease terms as prior to the 612 the limit was set in tuners. Dish needs to get the verbiage correct so that upgraders and prospective customers are given less confusing information.

19. DishSatUser

DishSatUser AllStar

Aug 28, 2006
    When ordering a DVR, mention it's both for a HDTV and a second SDTV and you can get the 722. Then you can run it in Single mode. :)

Just have a cheapy TV when the installer hooks it up.

That's the main difference between the 722 and the 612. You can do dual-mode if desired, but can also have it in single mode.

Personally, equipment that is even more flexible is better. Sure you may never "consistantly" watch SDTV on the second TV2 input, but at least it is possible if necessary.

20. DishSatUser

DishSatUser AllStar

Aug 28, 2006
    Opps, I see that now "tuners" really equates to "outputs" in the terms of leasing equipment for a total of four rooms.

In that case, you are out of luck on the 722. Sorry for my previous post.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.