1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Adding new second HD receiver to legacy system

Discussion in 'DISH™ High Definition Discussion' started by snwbrdpunx, Oct 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. snwbrdpunx

snwbrdpunx New Member

Oct 31, 2007
    Hey guys, I just bought a 42" plasma and am considering upgrading to HD. Ive been a Dish customer for seven years and currently my only setup is/has been a 4900 receiver hooked up to one SD TV. I have a legacy Dish 500 with a dual lnb connected with a SW21 and a legacy 18" dish pointed to 61.5 for international programming. I am considering purchasing either the 211 receiver or 811 receiver on ebay to connect to the new plasma. I have already run coax from the roof into the room where the plasma will be and my question is regarding the equipment I will need to make this work. I did some research on this site, and it seems that I should be able to use my legacy equipment, but I am confused as to what new switches I will need and how to wire them. I still want to keep the 4900 reciever hooked up to the old TV, but I will now be adding this second receiver. Also, during my research I came across a few posts stating that hd receivers wont be activated unless the hdpack is purchased; is this true? If I decided not to get HD programming right away, but still bought the HD receiver on ebay, would they not allow me to activate but run standard def. programming? I appreciate all of your help in this confusing matter. Thanks!

2. GrumpyBear

GrumpyBear Hall Of Fame

Feb 1, 2006
    I can't help with info on the HD reciever being activated or not until you purchase HDPACK. IF you are just going to have 2 TV's and nothing else right now, when you purchase the HD Reciever, get a DISH1000 as well, and you wont need a switch, the 1000 antenna can feed 2 TV's all by itself. I do it that way with My Vip622DVR and my 501DVR(soon to be upgraded to a Vip722).

3. garys

garys Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2005
    If you do not want the HD pack, go with the 811 as it will not be actavated with it anyway, but if you want the HD pack later you would need to change receivers. With your current setup, you will need to duplicate your setup and run coax to location you are putting second receiver. It may be cheaper/easier to upgrade through dish as installation would be included which would require changing all the lnb's and switch.

4. snwbrdpunx

snwbrdpunx New Member

Oct 31, 2007
    Thanks for the replies guys. The reason I would like to keep my legacy setup is mainly to keep the international programming which is fed thru the 18" dish pointed at 61.5 and to keep the 4900 receiver connected to the old TV. I figure it would be cheaper to purchase another switch or two rather than entire dishes. Does anyone have wiring diagrams (including required switches) for hooking up one HD receiver and one legacy receiver to a dish 500 and dish 300 (both with legacy lnbs)? I really appreciate all your help!

5. BobaBird

BobaBird EKB Editor

Mar 30, 2002
    Your Dish 500 probably has a Twin. You really don't need a wiring diagram, as garys said, you just "need to duplicate your setup and run coax to location you are putting second receiver." That means getting another SW21 and wiring it the same way from the second outputs of the Twin and the Dual.

A lot of intl channels are being moved to 118.75°. If yours is one of them you will need to upgrade to a Dish 1000+.

If you have HD locals available you will need a ViP receiver and likely a Dish 1000.

If you don't want the DishHD package now, I would get the 811. When you're ready, Dish will upgrade your dish and switch as needed.

6. Nov 1, 2007 #6 of 11
    snwbrdpunx

snwbrdpunx New Member

Oct 31, 2007
    So If I just connect a second SW21 to the dish 500 legacy LNB (it is a twin) and the Dish 300 legacy LNB to the new coax line i just ran from my roof to my room, I would be all set up to receive HD programming granted I buy an HD receiver, while still retaining use of my 4900 receiver? Is this the correct wiring diagram for my needed setup: http://www.dishnetwork.com/downloads/pdf/technology/installation/install-4.pdf I'm sorry for buggin you all about this, but Id rather do the install myself and get it right the first time with the right equipment. Much thanks for the help!

7. Nov 2, 2007 #7 of 11
    BobaBird

BobaBird EKB Editor

Mar 30, 2002
    That's the exact diagram. Note that configuration is limited to 2 tuners (2 single tuners or 1 dual tuner). It will work fine for your proposed 4900/211 (or 811) but will have to be upgraded if you add a dual-tuner.

8. bimmerboy750

bimmerboy750 Cool Member

Feb 28, 2006
    I have this exact dish 300/500 setup, but I have a 622 and want to add a 211. so what do i need to upgrade to?

Rick

9. BobaBird

BobaBird EKB Editor

Mar 30, 2002
    That puts you at 3 tuners. There is no way a legacy Twin can support more than 2, so it will have to go. I would suggest replacing it with a DishPro Plus Twin which will in turn require also replacing the Dish 300 LNB with a DP Dual. There should be a DPP Separator in the box the 622 came in to feed its 2 tuners from 1 line. Run a new line to the 211.

If you have Dish do the add-on upgrade, I believe the LNB swaps will be included.

10. bimmerboy750

bimmerboy750 Cool Member

Feb 28, 2006
    Charles, Is this what you mean?:

[​IMG]

Thanks,
    rick

11. BobaBird

BobaBird EKB Editor

Mar 30, 2002
    Yes.

Thread Status: