Adding new TVs to old system.

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by Lazidaze, Feb 1, 2019.

1. Feb 1, 2019 #1 of 12
    Lazidaze

Lazidaze New Member

Aug 1, 2014
    SC
    I currently have two old Vizio TVs that are acting up and are due for replacement. My DTV system consists of a HR44-500 and 1 C41-500 mini. The HR44 is hooked up to a 50" Vizio that is more than 10 years old and is beginning to show it's age. Likewise the C41 runs a 8 year old 42" Vizio that has been losing it's HDMI inputs one at a time and is showing other problems as well. None of these problems are related to the DTV equipment and for the most part, I am happy with the way the system itself has been working over the past 5 or 6 years.

My question is that I am looking at replacing the TVs (one at a time) and am a bit confused about the specifications of the latest models that are now selling. I am looking at a Samsung 58" (Model UN58NU710DFXZA) that is available from Costco for under $600 to replace the 50" Vizio. Would I have to update any of my current DTV equipment to meet any of the requirements of this TV. I am not really interested getting a better picture because I don't think my 80+ year old eyes would know the difference between HD and UHD. I am just looking to do a simple replacement of the TV with a similar (albeit slightly larger) TV.

I'm sorry if this is a dumb question but I am somewhat technologically challenged and I do not want to purchase new equipment that is going give me problems.

TIA for any advice or opinions.

2. Feb 1, 2019 #2 of 12
    MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Swapping TVs shouldn't be a problem. Today's 4K Ultra HDTVs will work with your current DIRECTV equipment. If you decide you want 4K service then you will have to upgrade your DIRECTV equipment to either a HR54 Genie with a C61K-700 client or a HS17 Genie 2 and two C61K-700 clients and have your LNB upgraded to a Reverse Band LNB.

3. Feb 1, 2019 #3 of 12
    jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    I have a 2016 model Ku7100, 4k TV hooked up to a HR24.
    You do not need any changes unless you want to get 4k signal. Then you would need one of the 2 newer receivers. The HR54 or the HS17.

4. Feb 2, 2019 #4 of 12
    Lazidaze

Lazidaze New Member

Aug 1, 2014
    SC
    Thank you to the members that have replied. I only have one last question - in looking at the specs of the Samsung TV that I am planning to get the RCA audio out is missing. There is an optical audio out in it's place. Is there someway to convert this optical audio to the old RCA right & left audio. I am currently using the RCA out on the Vizio to feed a Sennhieser wireless headphone set that I use because of hearing problems.

Again - TIA for any responses.

5. Feb 2, 2019 #5 of 12
    jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Yes, there is an adapter to get you from the Optical to the Red and White connection.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Toslink-...hguid=c61fee49-b0b-168af1bb4372fd&athena=true

6. Feb 2, 2019 #6 of 12
    Lazidaze

Lazidaze New Member

Aug 1, 2014
    SC
    Thanks Jimmie - you've been very helpful.

jimmie57 likes this.
  7. Feb 3, 2019 #7 of 12
    TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol Hall Of Fame

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
  8. Feb 3, 2019 #8 of 12
    jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    I think so, based on a poster wanting to have earphones and have the TV speakers on also.
    I don't have anything to try that out.
    I send my Optical direct to my Yamaha AVR from the HR24. If I turn the TV speakers down the Optical still works. If I turn the TV speakers OFF then I get a lip sink problem.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
  9. Feb 3, 2019 #9 of 12
    slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    An adapter can't fix a poorly designed TV.

10. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Check your receivers and minis, they probably have the red and white audio outputs and all outputs run at the same time.

11. TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol Hall Of Fame

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    jimmie57 likes this.
  12. Lazidaze

Lazidaze New Member

Aug 1, 2014
    SC
    Just a followup to my original post regarding adding new TVs to my system and headphone connections. I wound up with a better TV than the one I had planned. Instead of the 58" NU7100, I wound up getting the 55" NU8000 series. The basic setup was seamless. Just exchange the TV, plug in the power and HDMI and it was up and running. FYI - the TV comes with a remote that is capable of handling all (or most) of the original DTV remote capabilities as well as controlling other inputs like Amazon video and Netflix. It has a mic built in that takes verbal commands such as channel and volume changes. Samsung calls it the "One Remote".

After setting up the new TV, I then went on to try to set up my old Sennheier RF headphones. I initially tried using an Optical-to-RCA adapter to feed the headphones from the Toslink/optical output but as RatPatrol said, the speakers turned off when the Toslink was plugged in. I then tried using the R/W RCA audio output on the HR44 and this worked. The problem was that the headphones did not work when I was using the TV on internet based shows such as Amazon video or Netflix.

I then tried the Bluetooth route and this worked but there was an echo effect caused by the Bluetooth latency between the headphones and the speakers.

During this experimenting with the headphones, I discovered a quirk with the Toslink out plug. I discovered that if you do not fully seat the plug into the receptacle, you can get audio out without turning the speakers off. There must be an internal switch built into the receptacle that switches the speakers off when the plug is completely seated. By not plugging it all the way, you can get the audio signal without activating the internal switch. After discovering this, I just put a small piece of double sided tape between the side of the Toslink plug and the TV cabinet to hold in in place and prevent it from coming loose. I know it sounds like a Rube Goldberg but it works!!

Sorry about the looong post and thanks again to all that assisted me.

jimmie57 and TheRatPatrol like this.