Adding Original Air Date to the Guide

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Tips and Resources' started by Jlg, Sep 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jlg

Jlg Legend

Sep 11, 2006
    How does everyone feel about adding "Original Air Date" to the three lines of description we get for a program in the guide? If I could only make one change to the guide, this would be my number one pick, how about you?

2. rsblaski

rsblaski Icon

Jul 6, 2003
    Southern Nevada
    You've got my vote.

3. rjknyy

rjknyy AllStar

Nov 18, 2005
    That is one of the biggest things I miss from my TiVo

4. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    I'm not taking a position one way or the other, but just to be clear, the OP is requesting the original air date be shown within the 3 lines of the GUIDE, not the extended program info you see when you click on an episode, which most of us wish was there in order to accurately determine first run/repeat status, among other things. Putting OAD information in the GUIDE means there might be less GUIDE program description info available at a glance

/steve

5. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    Hmmmmm......guess I ought to read the entire post before I go off searching for threads.

In that case, I need to change my vote. I am going to go slap myself around now.

6. Jlg

Jlg Legend

Sep 11, 2006
    Yes, as the last item of the program description. And just as now, if the program description is too long to fit into three lines, you would have to hit the info button to see all of it, so it shouldn't affect anything currently there, just add additional value to the guide.

7. Milominderbinder2

Milominderbinder2 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '08

Oct 8, 2006
    Vote for this in the Wish List Survey!

DIRECTV already broadcasts this data as backchannel data on channel 100 to all of the TiVo's. So DIRECTV has the data and they are broadcasting it.

Just not to us...

- Craig

8. Sirshagg

Sirshagg Hall Of Fame

Dec 29, 2006
    I want to see it but not there. When predssng info is fine.

9. Jlg

Jlg Legend

Sep 11, 2006
    Just out of curiosity, why would you not want to see it if there is unused space available? I certainly would have no problem if it were an option, but I figured asking for the minimum would be more likely to be entertained by Directv.

10. Sirshagg

Sirshagg Hall Of Fame

Dec 29, 2006
    As it is now by the time they get all the year and list all the actors and whatever other BS I usually only see a 6-8 word description of the episode which makes the whole thing useless to me. The number one thing i want to see there is a description of the episode.

11. Racer88

Racer88 Icon

Sep 12, 2006
    OAD does not need to be in the already too brief short description.

It DOES need to be added to the full description page tho along with many other things.

12. Jlg

Jlg Legend

Sep 11, 2006
    Ok, I can live with only under info, as much as I would like to see it at a glance if space is available. I would like info to be a toggle however: hit info once to get extended description, hit it again to return to regular guide.

Is there anyone who would not like Original Air Date to be on the info screen???

13. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    I don't think you'll get any argument on that. :)

I modified the original Wish List request to read:

"Add more program description INFO, to allow better SEARCHES and more show details, like "Original Air Date"."

/steve

14. Jlg

Jlg Legend

Sep 11, 2006
    Great. Now we can say to D* it's unanimous, everyone wants OAD!

I still think it's in the wrong section however, but I'm grateful for anything that helps:D

15. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    My logic is that better SEARCHING and/or knowledge of FIRST RUN/REPEAT status are more SEARCH/Recording issues.

Since I edit the list, I get to decide! :lol: It doesn't really matter, tho, cause D* looks at the whole list. The categories are just meant to make the voting process a little less onerous. /steve

16. lucky13

lucky13 Active Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Maryland,...
    Yes, add the OAD to the addl info screen.
    And add the Episode Number as well.

17. SrLANGuy

SrLANGuy AllStar

Oct 15, 2006
    Right now, adding the Original Air Date to the program info would also be my top request!

Last week, I noticed that several shows I have Series Links for (First Run only) were not set to record. I looked at the full program info and none of them said "Repeat". I switched over to my DirecTiVo and looked at the same shows and they also did not show "Repeat", but I was able to go into the extended show info and see that the "Original Air Date" was a while back (which means they actually were "Repeats").

This week, I wanted to record some new episodes of a show on USA that also did not correctly show if they were a "Repeat". By swithching over to my DirecTiVo and looking at the "Original Air Date", I was able to determine what episodes were new. Then I had to switch back to my HR20 to set the correct ones to record. What a pain in the a#$ that was!

Please DirecTV, add the "Original Air Date" to the extended program info screen!

18. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I'd love to see that as well as the other guide data that I believe is being provided.

19. Sirshagg

Sirshagg Hall Of Fame

Dec 29, 2006
    Same thing has been happeningto me recently.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.