1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

adding recievers

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by davistw, Oct 18, 2009.

1. davistw

davistw Mentor

Dec 27, 2008
    I have a directv installation that includes...
    1. Slimline AU9-SL3 disk
    2. Zinwell WB68 Multiswitch
    3. Two HR21-100's

I have a bedroom that is around 250-300 ft from the zinwell that I want to put an HD receiver in... The question I have is will the direct run that far from the Multiswitch? If not can I amplify it or something?

2. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    That's too far by half, and the limitation is the voltage loss from the DC power supplied by the receiver to the switch, which can't be fixed with an amplifier.

The solution to the problem is a second dish mounted much closer to the receiver.

3. Don Moe

Don Moe Mentor

May 21, 2005
    I would recommend converting to an SWM-8 configuration (Single Wire Multiswitch), replacing the WB68, while keeping your current dish. This supports multiple tuners on a single coax run to each room. A single HD DVR then needs only a single coax for both tuners.

SWM-8 modules with power inserters are available for less than $100 from various sellers on eBay. You will likely also need wideband splitters (2-2150 MHz), such as the SWS-2, -4 or -8.

You can learn more about the SWM-8 at the SolidSignal web page.

Although the specs indicate the max distance is 200ft, you could try it and only if necessary add a booster amplifier.

Good luck!

4. eakes

eakes Godfather

Sep 21, 2007
    Why not try it and see? Get a 300ft length of RG6, put a connector on each end and connect to the multiswitch and a receiver (not necessary to physically position the coax for this test - it can remain in a coil for the most part). If it works, run the coax and you are in business. If it doesn't work, purchase about 300ft of RG11. RG11 is bigger and has less loss (also more expensive than RG6) and will most likely work at the 300ft distance if RG6 won't.

5. netraa

netraa Godfather

Mar 27, 2007
    A swm8 switch might work, then again it might not. RG11 might work then again it might not. A 2nd dish is going to work and going to be 1/2 the cost of a SWM8 switch, and a 2nd dish is going to be 2-3X cheaper than that much RG11, plus the special tools to put fittings on, plus the fittings plus the extra work installing 11 is. Also, if it doesn't work, your still out the added expense of the SWM8 or the RG11, and you still have to buy the 2nd dish.