1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Adding Series to a New HR

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by itzme, Jul 23, 2013.

1. itzme

itzme Hall Of Fame

Jan 17, 2008
    I upgraded to a HR44 today! It's time to manually move all my series from my HR24 into the new series manager, and it seems I have some options. For example, if I smart search "Modern Family" the first option in the results is Season Premiere (coming soon), and no specific channel is associated with the listing. Now I only want to record new episodes when they return in the fall. Should I select that season Premiere listing or just select an upcoming rerun with my recording options set to First Run only? What would be the difference? What channel would be used if I secrecy the former?

Also, the installer left about 5 hours ago, and myDirectv hasn't populated yet, Pandora and YouTube icons aren't there yet, and Search/Browse Movies and TV Shows (whatever that new feature is) still say to check back in hour. should I reboot or wait?

2. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    If you don't want to set it up using a rerun that you then have to cancel go with the "Coming Soon" option but check on it a week or so before the show returns. In my experience the "Coming Soon" entries have worked 90% of the time.

MyDirecTV will take a good 24 hours to populate and Pandora and YouTube could take just as long. If you want to be 100% sure you're getting fresh data you can reboot twice within a 30 minute period and flush the guide data and start over.

3. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    First, it takes a day or two for everything to populate its still downloading stuff.

Second, the options with no channel number listed, that's called far in advance. Its nice because you can set up shows that aren't going to be on at all on the right channel in the next few weeks. So you could set up some shows up to 6 months or more in advance. It should grab your local stations airings.

Personally,. I'd set all series links off of one that is airing soon first (note even if you set first run only, it will record the airing you chose to create the sl even if its a repeat) and then use the upcoming option for any series not airing anytime soon on the channel you will want it to record from.

4. itzme

itzme Hall Of Fame

Jan 17, 2008
    Thanks for the good advice! Now I'm trying to figure out a strategy for which series to keep on the HR24 (now in bedroom, but may get swapped with the new C41 in the basement if the HR is too noisy) and which to move to the HR44. I share all playlists and lag doesn't seem to be much of a factor when MRVing.

5. RunnerFL

Jan 4, 2006
    What I do is keep all recordings from the same network on the same DVR. For instance all Comedy Central shows get recorded on my HR24 and all SyFy recordings on my HR44. It's pretty simple to keep track of too.

6. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    Far in Advance, while available, is still in its test phase. You will always need to check that it actually does schedule a record on right channel.

7. tas3986

tas3986 AllStar

Feb 6, 2008
    For winter and spring series that are not currently available, I use the Search TTITLE series name , and then do the AUTORECORD option. This will get the series back when they come back later in the year.

Be careful however, even if you select "FIRST RUN" as a option, the autorecord seemingly records everything. When the series does return, select it as a series, and delete the TTITLE autorecorded option. (I have 2 systems set up one as autorecord first runs only, and the other autorecord TTITLE .... first runs only, and the TTITLE setting always trys to record the reruns.... so just be careful.)

8. inkahauts

Nov 13, 2006
    Exactly what I do as well.

I also suggest making your local channels higher in the series manager

9. RunnerFL

Jan 4, 2006
    Shows in my Series Manager are sorted by day/time of air. That way a special Saturday re-run of a Monday show, that somehow is not marked as a repeat, on a network station won't bump a first run Saturday show.

10. itzme

itzme Hall Of Fame

Jan 17, 2008
    I'm taking that advice and see what you mean about having First Run set, but all those reruns I selected are in my to do list. So can I now go ahead and select those reruns from the Todo list, select Episode Options and then Cancel that Episode? I assume that will preserve the series manager listings.

I'll keep an eye on the Coming Soon or Premiere ones I had to do when we get closer to those dates.

11. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Highlight the episode in the To Do List and press the red button on the remote to delete it.

12. loveshockey

loveshockey Godfather

Feb 24, 2008
    Lancaster, NY
    doesn't the stop button work to delete as well in the To Do List?

13. inkahauts

Nov 13, 2006
    What stop button? Lol. Also try double pressing the dash key. ;)

14. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    I dont believe so. If you use the stop button when you are done watching the show, depending on how you started playback, it gives you a menu choice to delete though. The stop button while in the guide will cancel a previously setup recording, maybe thats what you're remembering. Highlight a show you have setup to record while in teh guide, hit stop and it will cancel the recording. If its a recording thats part of a series, I believe it asks if you want to delete just that episode or the whole series of recordings.

15. inkahauts

Nov 13, 2006
    Stop button used to let you delete stuff in the to do list.

And....

Just checked on my HR34 and the stop button does still erase anything in the to do list,not even a pop up to confirm. :). Just another reason to have left the stop button alone on the new remote!

16. RunnerFL

Jan 4, 2006
    Not true. If you hit stop during playback you're just taken straight to live TV. You're only asked if you want to keep or delete if you reach the end of the recording by letting it play out or using FF.

17. Robert L

Robert L Legend

Dec 13, 2005
    I haven't had much luck using smart search for far in advanced shows. I had two for this month and it just has the show listed to be recorded at 12am on the day it starts, along with the network. I can only see that by going to series manager and view upcoming.

So I remember those two ahead of time and set it up which I then had two listed in the series manager and just deleted the one that I had set with search. Since this isn't the first time its happen, it doesn't work very well for me.

18. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    That's what the new "Far In Advance" feature is for now. It's so that you don't need to create those Boolean Autorecords and can actually have an SL for the series itself.

- Merg

19. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    There is at least one scenario where the Far in Advance just doesnt perform that well:

local networks.....

YOu set it up, it will try to record on the national DNS feed almost exclusively. I think it could be a great feature if they can get it to only use the stations you actually get....I can setup a boolean search for a new show that will guarantee I get the show I want on the station I want...well almost...because now adding the CCHANS modifier doesnt discern between 53 and 53-1, or 53-2.....I purposefully have every local channel ARSL set to record on the OTA version, unless the tower gets taken out, weather does not interfere with these recordings....

20. RunnerFL

Jan 4, 2006
    I've had "Far in Advance" work 95% of the time for local networks. The only failures I had for local networks were when "Far in Advance" was new.