1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Adding used HR20

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by roadrunner1782, Jun 3, 2009.

1. Jun 3, 2009 #1 of 33
    roadrunner1782

roadrunner1782 Icon

Sep 27, 2008
    I just purchased a used, owned HR20 online and was curious if anyone here has experience in how hard or easy it is to make sure it is added to my account as owned so I don't have to jump through hoops to get it corrected if it is listed wrong. I called to verify it was owned before I bought it and also made sure there was no outstanding balance on it. The lady I spoke with said it was in fact owned and had no balance but I just sent an e-mail to D* that way I can verify I was given correct information and I have it in writing if something does go awry. Assuming it actually works correctly and after I order a new access card for it what are the chances it actually gets added as owned?

2. Jun 4, 2009 #2 of 33
    litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    The chances are good, provided the CSR knows what they're doing. Just be sure to remind them when you call to activate.

3. Jun 4, 2009 #3 of 33
    Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Call the Access Card Team. Just call D* and get a CSR and tell him/her that you want to speak to the ACT and you will be connected to the only group at D* that can tell you whether the HR is owned or leased with some degree of certainty. I just bought an "owned'' 20-700 on eBay a couple months ago and I did that and it shows up on my account as "owned". You should have ACT activate the HR for you. They will make sure it shows up as "owned".

Rich

4. Jun 4, 2009 #4 of 33
    roadrunner1782

roadrunner1782 Icon

Sep 27, 2008
    I appreciate the responses. I kind of figured the Access Card Team is who I would want to talk to when activating it. I actually spoke with them already to make sure the receiver was owned, and they verified it was. I sent an e-mail to D* as well so that way I had it in writing in case there was a mix up and it got listed as leased, but the response I got in the e-mail was vague and didn't say if the receiver was owned.:nono2: I think I'll shoot them another e-mail just so I do have it in writing. Just trying to cover all my bases.:D

5. Jun 4, 2009 #5 of 33
    Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    The really wonderful thing about their website is that you can't tell if a receiver is owned or leased. Used to be able to, but they changed the format. You've done the right thing so far. Just call and get a random CSR and recheck to see if it's owned and if it isn't, call ACT and get them to change it. I've called a couple times and asked and always been told mine was owned. If you can get it in writing, let me know how you did it, would you please? They seem hesitant to do that.

Rich

6. Jun 4, 2009 #6 of 33
    roadrunner1782

roadrunner1782 Icon

Sep 27, 2008
    I have actually sent them several e-mails through their website while I was trying find an owned HD DVR and until this last one I just sent they have always sent me e-mails back stating if the IRD was owned or not and about previous balance and everything. Maybe I shouldn't have mentioned in this last e-mail that I already bought the receiver and it is being shipped to me right now. Either way I'm now going to send them a very vague e-mail with just RID # and ask if it is owned or lease and see what response I get this time.

7. Jun 5, 2009 #7 of 33
    Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Huh. I gotta try that. I can just imagine what my "owned" 20-700 will be called a year from now. Something in writing would be great. Thanx for the idea.

Rich

8. Jun 5, 2009 #8 of 33
    say-what

say-what Active Member

Dec 14, 2006
    New Orleans
    You can still easily tell if your recievers are listed as owned or leased on the website. Just go to the billing section and check current charges or pull up a bill. If there is a "Leased Receiver" charge, it's leased, otherwise it's owned and should be noted as "additional receiver". I think an owned receiver that is the primary receiver listed on the account will just say "Primary Receiver" instead of "Primary Leased Receiver".

9. Jun 5, 2009 #9 of 33
    Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I hate to admit it, but I've never looked at a bill. My wife pays it and I keep my mouth shut. I'll check the website out and see if I can find it.

But, wouldn't you think that when you look at your equipment, that page would indicate owned or leased receivers? It used to, I think. Let me check the billing section...I don't see "current charges" and I can't pull up a bill because we are not enrolled in Paperless Billing.

Rich

10. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I just searched the website, I don't see anything that would distinguish between owned and leased units. I think if you use Paperless Billing you get more access.

Rich

11. say-what

say-what Active Member

Dec 14, 2006
    New Orleans
    I pay online - not automatic though - so maybe they do things different if you're still getting a paper bill. But the paper bill will show the same charges/designations.

12. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    My wife's going away tomorrow, I'll go thru the bills and see if I can find one. The billing does look as if it is set up to pay online, and we don't put mail out anymore at all for pickup, so she's gotta be paying online. We still get a paper bill, do you?

Rich

13. say-what

say-what Active Member

Dec 14, 2006
    New Orleans
    No paper bill here - you may be using a third party online service, maybe through your bank or something. If you pay at DirecTV.com, you'll find your account billing info here (after you log in): https://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/mydirectv/account/myAccount.jsp

14. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    That didn't work either. I'll try to find the paper bill... No luck. I'll check next month's bill. I did check the website and she has it set to pay by AmEx card. I guess if you get the Paperless Pay plan, you get better access.

Rich

15. roadrunner1782

roadrunner1782 Icon

Sep 27, 2008
    I get the paper bill and cannot get hardly any info from the website about my bill, other how much I owe which is perfectly fine since I use the website to pay it.

16. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Befuddling as the website is, the last two days have been fun. And I haven't found anything. I guess if you get the paperless thing you get more info. Think I'll start to hit the site's forum and complain a bit about this. Seems like extortion. Perhaps they'd like me to go paperless with my payments and send them pennies each month. Where would you get that many pennies? :lol:

Rich

17. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Finally worked up the nerve to ask my wife for the statement and it just says "additional" receiver as opposed to "leased receiver". I'd much rather see "owned receiver", but what use is complaining about that?

Thanx for all the help in locating the list that delineates owned from leased. Still can't find anything on the website. I do get a window every month where I can view the bill on line. Wife didn't complain about the bill, fortunately.

Rich

18. roadrunner1782

roadrunner1782 Icon

Sep 27, 2008
    That's always a good thing!:D

19. PlainBill

PlainBill Cool Member

Jan 5, 2007
    I've noticed a few HR2x DVRs for sale on Craigslist, many of them indicate the buyer will have to purchase a new access card from DirecTV. Is this an attempt to circumvent the restrictions on reactivating leased receivers?

Recently I had called about one DVR that the seller insisted he owned. DirecTV checked the RID number and initially stated I could add it to my account. When the CSR checked the card number, she then insisted it was a leased unit and could not be activated.

Any comments?

PlainBill

20. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    The requirement to get a new access card is policy for any acquired receiver. I think the cost is $20, so factor that into whatever you are willing to pay.

That is separate from the issue of obtaining a used leased receiver, which you won't be able to activate even with a new access card.