1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Adding your own content to the Genie?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by petek22, May 22, 2013.

1. petek22

petek22 Cool Member

Jul 5, 2007
    was wondering if there is a way to add (upload) your own content to the DVR. My daughter has a lot of disney movies she like to watch and swapping out dvd's and changing the tv input to the dvd player is a pain. It would be great to "upload" those DVD's into the DVR so i could just play those from the Genie...Thanks

2. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    No, there is no way this can be done.

3. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Pretty easy. ;) Just buy 8VSB modulator, connect it to DVD player and to DTV OTA AM21 module.Done.

4. petek22

petek22 Cool Member

Jul 5, 2007
    Still have to swap dvd's....but thanks for the reply

5. p4594spa

p4594spa Mentor

Jul 20, 2006
    Actually, buy a new XBox and buy a Directv cable card for it.

6. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    I think he means record them once onto the genie. . .

7. dnelms

dnelms Legend

Nov 20, 2006
    Get a $99 Roku, add Plex channel and setup a Plex server on your Mac or Windows box. Rip the DVD and encode to mp4 for best results on the Roku.

8. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    I think you've misunderstood how the new Xbox is going to work. It does not take cable cards (and there is no such thing as a Directv cable card anyway) It has an HDMI pass through port. So it will take HDMI input and be able to put graphical overlays on it. That is all. It will have no ability to record what is passing through it, or even do trick play type stuff with it.

9. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    There is no such thing.

10. goinsleeper

goinsleeper Godfather

May 22, 2012
    Like others have said, it can't be ripped to the DVR itself but you could rip it to another hard drive and run a virtual server to share access to them. Is it too much to just change the DVD? I think it would be more work to rip one DVD than to just hit the "eject" button and put a different one in.

11. rob5819

rob5819 AllStar

May 25, 2007
    The best way to do this is to use the DirecTV MediaShare feature. Rip the DVD to a computer using something like Handbrake, then run a media server on the computer that stores the media files (I like Serviio, but you can try Windows Media Player, TVersity and others). If your media server is properly serving the movies out you will be able to access the content directly from your DirecTV box without having to change the tv input or change DVDs. The DirecTV MediaShare feature is in perpetual beta and is not the greatest, but you will be able to play the DVDs. You will not have features like fast forward or reverse, but you can pause and play them directly from the DVR via menu / extras / music and photos / . (My success has been with HR20/21/24s, I do not have the HR34/44.)

12. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    All your DLNA solutions are flawed in term of TS question - you can't take your DTV DVR with the recordings into your RV.

Buying 8VSB modulator is true solution by record them to DVR's drive. Yeah, I know, it would cost a lot ...