1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Additional $50 service fee to add an AM-21? (When purchased directly from D*)

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Joe Spears, Oct 25, 2012.

1. Joe Spears

Joe Spears Duplicate User (Account Closed)

Dec 24, 2010
    I noticed this when trying to purchase an AM-21 through the D* online account. It states based on my payment history, and I have NEVER payed late and am on Auto Bill Pay, that I have to pay a "small" fee as there calling it.

Is this something new?

Yes, I realize I can purchase this at Amazon or SolidSignal without this fee but why would they charge this knowing you can purchase it at many other retailers? :confused: :nono2:

Attached Files:

2. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    The Am21 has always been $50 from DirecTv. The $50 is the purchase price (you own it).

3. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Not sure why they want to charge you the $50 "Service Fee" on top of the AM21 $50. That doesn't show up on my account when I select an AM21 for ordering.

4. funnyfarm299

funnyfarm299 AllStar

Mar 3, 2012
    Have you even looked at his picture? It's $50 PLUS the cost of the tuner.

5. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Call and place your order and see if you get that charge.

But is that fee related to the device or the HD Access that is also listed?

6. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    this sounds like the fee DirecTV charges new customers when they get new equipment right after the new installation. IMHO, "because of your payment history…" message might have to due with tenure….

7. TMan

TMan Legend

Oct 30, 2007
    What if someone buys one of these from a retailer? Surely no charges on the DirecTV account would appear then, right? I'm considering one myself.

8. smitbret

smitbret Legend

Mar 26, 2011
    No cost to use these. Plug and go.

9. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    But that is usually for hardware that is leased by the user. In this case, the user is purchasing a product to own.

I'd call up DirecTV and see what a CSR tells you about that Service Fee or if they even charge you if you place the order by phone.

- Merg

10. spiderman865

spiderman865 AllStar

Apr 12, 2007
    Why not just buy someplace else and not even deal with this BS?:confused:

11. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    Maybe I'm misreading it, but to me it looks like he is buying an AM21, getting an HD receiver for free, and paying a $50 service fee. Couldn't the $50 service fee be the install charge for the HD receiver?

12. Joe Spears

Joe Spears Duplicate User (Account Closed)

Dec 24, 2010
    This fee also shows up in the cart if I try to add a leased receiver to my account in addition to a charge for installation. (Screenshot below)

No on both of those questions, & I already have HD Access on my account.

Attached Files:

13. wahooq

wahooq New Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Tulsa, OK
    Yeah thats the install for a free HD rcvr

14. TXD16

TXD16 Icon

Oct 29, 2008
    Man, what did you do to tick off a CSR who had full access to your account? ;)

15. palmgrower

palmgrower AllStar

Jul 18, 2011
  16. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    The OP was trying to do it online. Not sure why anyone would order anything online from DirecTV. I've not heard of anyone getting deals or discounts when ordering online. When I called and asked about an AM21 last year, they sent me two. Both free. Not even a charge for shipping.

17. Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2009
    Cool, let us know how you like it. I have two of them and love having the ability to record OTA channels.

18. HarleyD

HarleyD Hall Of Fame

Aug 31, 2006
    When I've ordered my AM21s from DirecTV I didn't get charged for shipping.

Solid Signal will charge me shipping.

Although DirecTV charges me tax where Solid Signal does not.

It's still been cheaper for me to get the AM21 at directv.com.

EDIT to add, these AM21s have been a great investment for me. Being halfway between Tampa and Orlando I have access to roughly 70 OTA channels. Granted, quite a few of them are spanish language or duplicated programming but still, it provides me with a lot of additional programming to choose from. Just the "retro" channels alone. ThisTV, METV, AntennaTV and RTV are probably worth it. Plust the local weather alert channels, multiple independent channels and PBS affiliated channels give me a lot of additional programming for a one time charge of $50.

19. Jacob Braun

Jacob Braun King of Awesome

Oct 5, 2011
    Tulsa, OK
    I didn't know they would charge that fee on an AM21. Interesting.

If it shows up on the website it will probably show up if you try calling and ordering through a CSR.
    Just order through SS. They will charge you shipping but will not charge you tax (unless you're in Michigan).