1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Additional box question. And i love beer.

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by vbedford, Mar 15, 2010.

1. vbedford

vbedford AllStar

Jul 24, 2008
    I just called d* and i am ready to add on hd-dvr or just hd box for my tv for my kitchen. And they told me 99 for an hd-dvr and 49 for hd. No extra dvr or hd services because i pay already for both. But should i be paying for another box? And do i pay another lease fee or extra insurance fee for the box aside from the extra 5 dollars a month for the box? And they don't bill you for the box anymore? And why am i paying for if i do not own the box? Delivery and installation are free btw.

Yes i love DTV just don't understand.

2. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Its a up front lease fee, just like when you lease a car. If you want to buy a box (and be responsible for fixing it if it breaks) you can buy one at Solidsignal.com for around $400 HR21PRO.

Also, in case they didnt mention it, it will restart your two year commitment as soon as its activated on your account whereas, the HR21PRO would not restart your commitment.

3. ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    You are paying to offset the cost of the new box. It will be a LEASED unit that you must return if you disconnect it or disconnect DirecTV.

You also will trigger (or reset) your commitment to 2 years. Activating any new receiver obtained from DirecTV does this.

Every receiver on every DirecTV account except the first one is charged a $5 per month fee irregardless if it is leased or owned. This has been the case since I got DirecTV in 2000 and probably before that. This is just like cable charging a fee (usually a lot more than $5) for each additional "box" they give you. Rather than charge you $8 or more for each "box", DirecTV gets an upfront lease fee (in your case the $99 or $49). This also includes installation and any additional parts (multiswitch, cable runs, etc.) required to get the extra receiver up and running.

4. Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    There will always be a lease/additional receiver fee for each receiver beyond the primary. If you already pay for the Protection Plan then I there isn’t an increase in that fee based on the number of receivers.

Aside from the cost for the individual receivers, you’ll only have to pay the lease fee.

Mike

5. bixler

bixler Hall Of Fame

Oct 14, 2008
    PA

Nice price for the HD DVR....I'd grab it if I was you. Will only cost you $5 per month more on your bill but, as mentioned, you will start a 24 month commitment.

6. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    Seeing no body mentioned it the standard Lease upgrade fee for the HD DVR is $199 and the standard Lease Upgrade fee for the HD receiver is $99 so you are being offered a 50% discount.

7. tf92

tf92 Cool Member

Aug 7, 2008
    I would take the $99 for the HD-DVR, I called yesterday and it would cost me $199 to upgrade to another HD-DVR right now so I said I would wait until I could get a discount on one. It has only been 6 months since I went HD with one HD-DVR and got it all for free. I am going to wait until it shows a discount on my online account and then call in and see what that will do.