1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Additional DVR or Genie upgrade?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by neworder71, Oct 2, 2013.

1. neworder71

neworder71 Cool Member

Mar 10, 2008
    I have 1 HR-24s and 2 H-24s. I just had my parents move in and they record a lot of shows. I like the idea of having a separate DVR for them so I can keep mine organized. However DTV offered the Genie upgrade to me. It sounds like it would work also, if I don't mind the comingling of shows. We went from 3 to 4 viewing locations so I need one more rec of some sort at minimum.

Options:
    1 - add another HD DVR
    2 - upgrade to genie with 3 minis

I'm trying to understand the down sides of the switch, particularly the billing. Right know I pay the following for equipment
    HD - Free under free for life promo from 2010 giving $10 credit
    DVR - $10
    Whole house - $3
    Rec 1 - Free...first rec free
    Rec 2 $6
    Rec 3 $6

Total equipment $25/month

I saw this new $25/mth advanced reciever fee and I don't know if I'll get hit with that if I upgrade to genie or simply add a 2nd DVR. The description online mentions directv dvr plus and I didn't if either option would trigger it.

Ideally, I'd like to keep my increase to another $6 additional rec fee.

2. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    There is no money saved using minis.

There is no price difference between a DVR and a non-DVR.

Get the Genie, but keep your DVR. With Whole Home, everything is visible to each other unless you select otherwise.

3. neworder71

neworder71 Cool Member

Mar 10, 2008
    So I won't pick up the $25/month fee if I get the genie?

Will that many tuners cause issues with my setup? swim 8 (i think) 5 in Genie, 2 in DVR and 2 more in H24s...9 total.

4. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    No, the $25 fee is only for newer accounts and replaces the HD, MRV and DVR fees. You would stay with what you have. If DirecTV installs the Genie, you'd be upgraded from a SWM LNB to a SWM16. That's a regular LNB put back on the dish, with a separate SWM.

5. neworder71

neworder71 Cool Member

Mar 10, 2008
    From what I gather H24's are faster than minis but you can pause live with minis. Plus H24s are their own tuners so you don't use up genie's for recording. Correct?

6. otaliema

otaliema AllStar

Aug 9, 2012
    Mid-west USA
    I don't know about the speed part but you are correct with the tuner part.
    H24
    Pro own tuner possbily faster wont interfere with any recordings
    Con can't pause live tv with first telling on of the dvr's to record it and watch it via mrv
    Mini
    Pro's small, no access cards, functions a remote viewing port of the genie so can do everything the genie can minus pip
    Con's it requires the genie to give up a tuner to use it at all times so could cause a recording conflict

No price differance just billing langue differance. H24 will show up as an advance recvier fee mini's show up a client charge that is rolled up 3 mini's show as 18 rather 3 $6 fee's. .

7. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Yup, just get the Genie and keep your other receivers. from the HD boxes you can specify if the recoding goes on the Genie or HR24

8. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Depending on how tech savvy your parents are, you might want to have a mini for them.

We have a guest bedroom my in-laws use several times per year. We had an H25 in there. Small and fast. But they couldn't remember that if they wanted to pause/rewind live TV, they first had to start recording the show. So when we upgraded in July, I swapped out the 25 for a mini.

They haven't visited yet, but already my wife is happy with the mini. But if it was just 'us', I wouldn't have given up the 25.