1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Additional Receiver Charges

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by jericho, Nov 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nov 8, 2006 #1 of 14
    jericho

jericho AllStar

May 28, 2002
    Quick question. Does Dish Network charge you $5 for a 2nd receiver if you own that receiver? Thanks.

2. Nov 8, 2006 #2 of 14
    boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    YESownership means nothing for additional receivers on account.

3. Nov 8, 2006 #3 of 14
    P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Soon we will have $5 for external storage, other $5 for Ethernet connection ! :)

4. Nov 8, 2006 #4 of 14
    James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    E* has not mentioned any charging scheme for their unreleased features. :nono:

5. Nov 8, 2006 #5 of 14
    FTA Michael

FTA Michael Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2002
    To be precise, Dish only charges $5/month if the second receiver is activated. You can own a second receiver for free as long as you don't use it. :)

6. Nov 8, 2006 #6 of 14
    P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    oh Man ! - "You can own a second receiver for free as long as you don't use it."

7. Nov 8, 2006 #7 of 14
    MikeW

MikeW Hall Of Fame

May 16, 2002
    Charlie's never met a fee he didn't like:sure:

8. Nov 8, 2006 #8 of 14
    CABill

CABill Hall Of Fame

Mar 20, 2005
    The charge may be $6 - if the 2nd receiver is a ViP that you own and you already have a ViP receiver on the account.

9. Nov 8, 2006 #9 of 14
    James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    $5 for an extra receiver, $6 for extra ViP receiver. The DVR fee is actually $5.98 or $71.76 per year (per receiver) but adds major functionality.

But your biggest complaint is that E* won't give freebees to people who won't make a $30 commitment to the service. The free previews are advertisements --- but by choosing not to subscribe to a base AT level package customers have clearly stated that they are not willing to take the next step. (DISHFamily customers have chosen a special package where previews are specifically not included due to content.)

You want free TV? Put up an OTA antenna or a FTA setup. E* is subscription satellite.

10. finniganps

finniganps Hall Of Fame

Jan 23, 2004
    I agree, if you want free TV, put up an OTA antenna.

11. ClaytonD

ClaytonD Mentor

Oct 26, 2006
    I'm getting ready to switch back to Dish and have some questions about their current pricing plan.
    I currently have 1 HDTV, but would like to add another soon.
    With their current offer, I can get a HD DVR for that TV and drive a second TV with SD and DVR. I'd then get 2 SD receivers for the other 2 TVs.
    I'm trying to think ahead and get the best bang for the buck I can with this initial startup.

The satellite installer I'm using has given me the dish to put up at my house (replacing a Dish 500 with a 1000 on the same pole). He's then coming out with the receivers for activation.

He said that for each HD receiver (DVR or not) that Dish will charge $6. Is that on top of the additional receiver charge? If I'm paying the the HD Gold package, do I have to pay more beyond 1 HDTV? I'm quite confused and can not seem to find a good breakdown of how their pricing works.

Anybody have more than 1 HDTV with Dish?

12. DishSubLA

DishSubLA Legend

Apr 9, 2006
    Please, everyone seems to forget that cable's avearge fee for DVR service is at least TWICE as much as Dish's. I would love a no-charge for DVR, but in this free market world where it is all about making money, I am glad Dish only charges the aprox. $5 bucks a month and not the Time-Warner $13.99.

13. CABill

CABill Hall Of Fame

Mar 20, 2005
    I really don't like the way it is done on this page at the website, but go to https://www.dishtv.com/order.jsp and let it compute the cost for you. You will find that there is no $6 lease fee for the first ViP (HD) receiver. You specifically asked about more than 1 HDTV, but answer the 1st question selecting 1 HD TV connected to a DVR (to get a 622). For the next question,
    Please select the number of HD televisions you want to connect*:
    Pick none. They are asking how many OTHER HD TVs and you don't include the one you already said you wanted on an HD DVR. That should leave the monthly cost at some DishHD package, Locals for $5, and a single $5.98 DVR fee (waived with Platinum).
    For the next question
    Please select the number of televisions you want to connect to a DVR:
    You've already picked 1 and the only other choice is 3. Picking 3 will get you a 625 with the 622 and increase your monthly by a $5 lease fee and a 2nd $5.98 DVR fee. It would save the 2nd DVR fee if the 625 was a 322 instead - leave this a 1 and pick 2 for number of SD TVs on the question that follows. Whether the 2nd receiver is a 625 or 322, there would only be a single $5 "extra receiver lease fee". The lease fee covers the "additional receiver fee". If the two SD TVs each had their own receiver instead of sharing the two output receiver, it would be another $5 lease fee. There are multiple opportunities to chat with someone if pricing is still confusing at that URL - just try to leave without ordering. :)

What you were told about the $6 fee for each ViP (HD) receiver is correct except a new/returning subscriber doesn't have to pay that for the 1st receiver. Not necessarily the case for an existing subscriber upgrading to ViP receivers and that may be what you were being told.

Bang for the buck is largely determined by the person spending the buck. A 622 and a 625 might be your best initial setup - unless the 2nd DVR fee bothers you.
    Depending on how soon you may be getting your 2nd HD TV, you might just order a 622 and a single SD receiver so you add a 211 (no DVR) when you do get the 2nd HD TV. DISH does have a limit of 4 leased tuners.

14. CABill

CABill Hall Of Fame

Mar 20, 2005
    DISH charges $5.98 DVR fee that is added to the $5/$6 receiver lease fee. Either lease fee puts it over the $10/month Comcast charges for their dual tuner HD DVR here. I can't check their current pricing - it seems their website isn't accessible to someone without Flash version 8!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.