1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Address to write to DirecTV?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by 1995hoo, Sep 22, 2018.

1. 1995hoo

1995hoo AllStar

May 14, 2004
    Fairfax...
    Does anyone know of an address where I can send a written billing dispute to DirecTV?

Gist of problem: I needed a new Genie because the hard drive failed. They sent the new one. A few days later, well within the three weeks to return the box, I got a letter from them telling me I didn’t need to return it, so I didn’t. Then they billed me a $135 box non-return fee.

I called them and they said they’d reverse the charge, even gave me a confirmation number, but they didn’t do it. (FWIW, it was clearly a woman at a South Asian call center and I was never 100% convinced she understood what I was telling her even though her English was pretty good.) Since my account gets billed to my American Express card, I disputed the $135 with Amex and gave them a copy of DirecTV’s letter saying I need not return the box. Amex said, of course, I don’t have to pay the $135 while the dispute is pending. The bill came last week with that amount subtracted.

So today DirecTV sent me a bill for $135 telling me my payment had been rejected and that I owe them $135 immediately.

Obviously, they are not getting a penny. I’m going to create a .PDF of their e-mailed bill and send it to American Express to add to my dispute. But I’d kind of like to send DirecTV a cease and desist letter containing a copy of the letter they sent me saying I didn’t have to return the box. I can’t find any sort of way to contact them other than phone, but I don’t want to call because (1) it did no good before and (2) I want to put their own letter in front of them.

Can anyone give me advice as to where I can send a letter, or as to what else I might do? I’m sure I’m not the first person to have had this problem.

Thank you in advance!

2. dtv757

dtv757 Icon

Jun 3, 2006
    Did u try to call loyalty dept ?
    Usually they are extremely helpful

Sent from my mobile device using Tapatalk

3. 1995hoo

1995hoo AllStar

May 14, 2004
    Fairfax...
    What’s the number to call?

4. dtv757

dtv757 Icon

Jun 3, 2006
    800-824-9077

Or just say cancel when calling the normal 800-531-5000

Sent from my mobile device using Tapatalk

5. 1995hoo

1995hoo AllStar

May 14, 2004
    Fairfax...
    Thanks. May try that tomorrow. But if anyone has an address, I’d still like to send them a letter.

6. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    Did you return the Genie with the bad hard drive? Doing that would probably make it much easier to resolve the whole issue. Unfortunately Directv has always been really bad about telling people they don't need to return something and then saying they do - to the point that most people here will advise holding onto it for a few months in case they change their mind.

7. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Yep ...

In the old days pre-AT&T, it would have been "Ellen Filipiak's office and the successor to that, the "Office of the President" as the "911" service to fix issues like this ...

But those are days long gone by now ....

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

8. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Corporate Headquarters Address......DIRECTV 2230 E. Imperial Hwy, El Segundo, CA 90245......Phone 310-964-5000......Fax 310-964-0838......This address was for customer service but I'm not sure if it's still used......DIRECTV Customer Service P.O. Box 6550 Greenwood Village, CO 80155-6550......Good Luck.

9. 1995hoo

1995hoo AllStar

May 14, 2004
    Fairfax...
    I still have it downstairs, along with the shipping box and the return label. Guess we may as well send it in, but I’m still quite annoyed at the way they’re acting about it.

10. D¢1994

D¢1994 New Member

Feb 7, 2013
    1995, it seems since AT&T took over at D* things haven't and likely will never be as good as the old days. I too have been attempting to resolve some equipment issues and it has been frustrating to say the least. The old loyalty number simply does not work for many of us anymore. I've been with D* for 24 years and now when I dial loyalty they transfer me to RC1 which is worse than the number for general inquiries.

I was able to Google deep and find this number...877-999-1083, this will get you to an AT&T de-escalation management team (that's what they called themselves when I reached them), I got much more favorable results talking to them, still not like the old days, but better than any other department I have been able to reach. This is not a 24/7 office, best results are to call them between 8am and 5pm on weekdays.

Good luck, and I hope this helps, I've been with them so long I really don't want to fire them, but the way things are today it takes patience to hang with them. I have been very careful to stay out of contract just in case it becomes intolerable...had I not found this new number I would have been long gone by now.

11. 1995hoo

1995hoo AllStar

May 14, 2004
    Fairfax...
    Thank you! I’ve been a customer of theirs since 2001, and I’m reluctant to change providers for various reasons, not the least of which is that my wife deals very poorly with change as to this sort of thing. (We’ve been married eight years and she still asks me to set up her recordings instead of doing it herself....) Cord-cutting isn’t practical because we watch so many Nats games and MASN isn’t available via the streaming services; also, Sling doesn’t let you record any ESPN channel, which is bad for me as an F1 viewer (time difference to Japan or Australia....).

I think for today, Sunday, I’ll create a .PDF of the new bill and send it to American Express and then give it a couple of days to see what happens before contacting DirecTV. I’d rather not interfere with the Amex process!

Edited to add: Well, this is interesting: American Express closed the dispute in my favor on September 19. Guess there’s no reason to contact them. But the amount it shows I owe them is $135 less than it should be—when I disputed the charge, they removed the $135 from my bill as a provisional thing. The bill came Sept. 11 or 12 with that amount subtracted. Now it shows a “remaining statement balance” of $135 less than THAT amount. So they subtracted it twice. In that case, DirecTV would in fact be underpaid. But I think I may follow up with Amex first because I expect they will re-add $135. This happened once before when I disputed a charge for merchandise lost by FedEx.

Second edit: Problem solved! I won’t contact DirecTV after speaking to Amex. Indeed there is a double credit on my Amex account and they will charge back $135 to correct that. They recommended not paying the DirecTV bill I got yesterday because the charge back will resolve it.....at least, it should.

Tell you what, the good service is why I do business with Amex!

Last edited: Sep 23, 2018
  12. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    I would call the loyalty number posted above. While AMEX may have handled the $135 fee for now, I think you'll find DIRECTV will continue to bill you for that and at some point, threaten to turn off your system.

13. 1995hoo

1995hoo AllStar

May 14, 2004
    Fairfax...
    Thanks for the warning. In that case, I will give that a try, but I may wait until after the charge posts back to my Amex account. That way I know the amount is correct rather than saying, in essence, "You're going to be paid." Sounds too much like "the check's in the mail."

14. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    We started giving that number out to folks that have had their D* accounts transitioned to AT&T accounts a few weeks ago. That seems to be ATT's Retention Department. Good luck.

Rich

15. 1995hoo

1995hoo AllStar

May 14, 2004
    Fairfax...
    Updating....

American Express sent a letter saying they ruled in my favor because DirecTV didn’t cooperate with their inquiry. Interesting. I found a place on DirecTV’s website where you can initiate a billing inquiry or dispute, AND it lets you upload documents. So I did that this afternoon (I get off work early on Friday). Guess I’ll see what happens. I offered to return the box if they want it so badly, provided they cease and desist trying to make the erroneous charge.

Rich likes this.
  16. 1995hoo

1995hoo AllStar

May 14, 2004
    Fairfax...
    So DirecTV called me this morning and I am on the phone with them now. They claim the July 5 letter was wrong and that you do have to return the box, but that they will shut up about the $135.00 once I send it back. We'll see. I'll send it back to them, but I'm not optimistic about them giving up on the charge. Sounds like the same woman as last time, so I don't have much faith in them.

Utter $%^& incompetence to send out a letter saying you don't have to return the box, that you should "Please disregard any other notice you may have received," and then say you have to return it.

She offered to transfer me to the loyalty department, but I don't have time for that right now. Phone number she gave me for that department is 866-444-2168, BTW.

17. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Get a tracking number on the package you return (even if you have to pay extra for that). take a picture of the package and the label on it. We've had others complain that even after they shipped it, DIRECTV claims they never received it.

18. 1995hoo

1995hoo AllStar

May 14, 2004
    Fairfax...
    I definitely got a tracking number. Saw your advice too late for the other ideas, but thanks all the same.

19. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    The last receiver I sent back, I had to take it to the local UPS store. I asked for tracking and was told that there was not one and that the receipt I had was all the proof I needed.
    I did call a couple of weeks later and asked them if any equipment charges were on my account and they told me no. That was in March. No problems here.

20. 1995hoo

1995hoo AllStar

May 14, 2004
    Fairfax...
    I took mine to the UPS Store as well. The lady looked at the label and said they couldn’t give me a tracking number at UPS because it was a USPS Return Service label, so I took it to the post office nearby and got the tracking number on a receipt from them.

Guess I’ll see what happens. Meanwhile, I spent a few minutes investigating FIOS TV. Want to price that and Sling, though Sling poses some problems for us due to MASN (Washington Nationals games) being unavailable through any streaming service and due to ESPN networks not working with the cloud-based DVR (I record F1 racing).