Adjusting your TV picture for HD and SD programming

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Tips and Resources' started by jimmie57, Jun 24, 2015.

1. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    I have not watched SD programming since I went to HD service in 2009.

Today I looked at a few of the channels since there is a little bit of discussion about the SD pictures improving. I could not see it.
    However, I did notice that the programming seemed slightly blurred as always.
    I took my TV remote and adjusted the Sharpness of the picture. For the HD it was all the way down to 20 and looked vey good. If I had it up above 60 the picture for HD started to look "grainy" is what I call it.

For the SD pictures 60 to 80 for the Sharpness actually looked pretty good.
    It took out almost all of the blur.
    The pictures that have the black bars all around are the clearest ( I do not stretch them to fit the screen )
    I run Native ON with Pillar Bars and have only the 720p and 1080i checked for resolutions. This makes 480i programming come to the TV as a 720p format. My TV is a 1080p model.

If someone watches SD on your HD TV and HD receiver, you might want to experiment with the sharpness control to see if it makes any difference for you.

2. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Calibrating your TV will produce it's best picture quality. If you can't afford to have it done professionally there are several affordable calibration discs (Digital Video Essentials, Disney WOW, DVE HD Basics, HDTV Calibration Wizard, Spears & Munsil).

3. mgavs

mgavs Legend

Jun 17, 2007
    I have never seen any TV do SD well, at least for me. Even my Pio Kuros, which do the best I've seen for SD are not acceptable. So.... I put put in a video processor, in my case a DVDO VP50, it not only upscales 480 to 1080p perfectly and fixes a lot of color issues, I even like the non-linear stretch which is not noticible. If you watch a lot of SD you can pick used processors up cheap. Mine was $3500 but I think they are as low as 1/10 that now. Anyway, it does SD so well visitors are very surprised when I tell them a picture is SD.

4. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Consider turning native off and leaving the TV in at the 20 sharpness setting.

You would need to check the manual (or perhaps a service manual) to see if there are different calibrations for each resolution on a given input.