Advance Receiver Fees

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by KsBillsFan, Jul 8, 2015.

1. Jul 8, 2015 #1 of 18
    KsBillsFan

KsBillsFan AllStar

Oct 16, 2009
    I called DirecTV today as I am almost out of contract. I had played around with their new customer deals, acting like I am a new subscriber. I realized that new subscribers are charged less for the advanced receiver, whole home, DVR and HD fees. When I called them out on it, it took over 30 minutes of explaining to them what their website said, what my bill said and to fight through all the BS the CSR kept trying to tell me. Finally she asked her supervisor and returned to tell me I was correct, existing customers are getting charged an extra $3.00 per month and DTV will not do anything about it. She said she couldn't fix it, couldn't give me a credit for it, I was just stuck paying it.

Has anyone had success in fighting this? I know it is just $3.00. I'm more upset over the principle of the issue, not the $3.00. Seems like a simple billing fix for all existing customers, yet DTV won't do it.

2. Jul 9, 2015 #2 of 18
    trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Yes, that is correct (although for 'new' subscribers, it is named differently).

However, if I'm not mistaken, new customers don't get the $6.50 credit back for their first receiver like you do.

So you're ahead by $3.50.

1 person likes this.
  3. Jul 9, 2015 #3 of 18
    James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    New subscribers get a $15 advanced receiver fee (if DVR or Genie on account) and $6.50 per receiver fee including the first receiver.

Old subscribers get the first receiver credited (aka "free") but pay up to $25 in advanced receiver/HD fees.
    Theoretically old subscribers are paying $3.50 more (unless their advanced receiver fees do not total $25).

4. Jul 9, 2015 #4 of 18
    inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    And often times people get discounts for Hi Definition fees, which means they end up saving quite a bit, while that particular discount isn't there at all for new subscribers since they don't have the fee in the first place. I wish they would up the price by $3.50 for all the new subscribers int he past year, and just move everyone to the exact same fee schedules for everything. But that won't happen, since some people are grandfathered into certain discounts and packages.

To the op, how long have you been a customer? You might be in an old channel package that is cheaper than what new subs pay and has more channels as well. It's so hard to really make a perfect price comparison when there are so many variables.

5. Jul 9, 2015 #5 of 18
    jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    I am an old subscriber according to their definition.
    I do not have the Whole Home Service.
    My bill looks like this. Copied and pasted from my emailed bill. Note: A second receiver is in this for $6.50 of the charges.

DIRECTV Equipment Services
    3. Watch DIRECTV on Multiple TVs 6.50
    2 TVs at $6.50; Save $6.50 off 1st TV
    4. Advanced Receiver Service - HD 10.00
    5. Advanced Receiver Service - DVR 10.00
    SUBTOTAL 26.50

6. Jul 9, 2015 #6 of 18
    damondlt

damondlt New Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Newfoundland...
    And someone with 2 rooms with an HR34/44 or Whole home would pay $31.50.
    Under the new pricing they would pay $28.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

7. Jul 9, 2015 #7 of 18
    harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    There are two different ARS fees that apply to subscribers who signed on after February 9, 2012. The name is the same but the amount of the fee differs depending on whether you signed up before or after the midnight July 24, 2014 dividing line.

This page shows the three existing fee schemes with their effectivity dates:

https://support.directv.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3267/

8. Jul 9, 2015 #8 of 18
    slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    New customers always get all kinds of better deals, with big discounts the first year, free NFLST, etc. All cable/satellite providers offer better pricing for new customers.

You may pay $3.50 on an ongoing basis, but if the package you have is removed Directv will 'grandfather' you in so you can keep it, even though new customers cannot sign up for it. So there are advantages and disadvantages.

If you feel that strongly about it you can always cancel Directv, go with Dish or cable for a while, then come back to Directv as a new customer. But nothing says the pricing won't be different by then and you'll end up paying MORE on an ongoing basis than you would have if you stuck around. That's just the way it works.

9. Jul 9, 2015 #9 of 18
    ejbvt

ejbvt AllStar

Aug 14, 2011
    VT
    Yes, like me. I signed up when they had the "Free HD for life" or whatever they called it. They have accidentally put the charge on there twice, and always removed it without hassle. I pay $10 for DVR and $3 for whole home (which I hate because I only have 1 receiver).

If anyone is actually paying $30/month for receiver fees (for 2) - that's just ridiculous and greedy. That just can't be true.

10. KsBillsFan

KsBillsFan AllStar

Oct 16, 2009
    I was in an older plan that gave me about 5 extra channels at a price of about $2 more per month. So I did change my plan and lost five or so channels. There is no reason why DTV can't change the advance receiver fees for all customers. And new customers don't get charge a separate fee for HD channels anymore either. That is part of their advance receiver fee. So existing customers who don't get the $10 credit for HD channels are actually paying $13.50 more a month than a new customer.

11. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    depending on which price plan you are on the Max different older subs pay is $3.50 more not $13

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

12. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Old sub here on the "old old" plan like Jimmie57, but with WH.

ARF - $10.00
    HD Access - $10.00
    WH - $3.00

Package is grandfathered Premier with ARF waived. So net cost is $13.00/mo. total for receiver fees.

Sent from my SGH-M819N using Tapatalk

13. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Correct, new customer pays $15 plus $6.50 for first receiver. So that is $21.50. At the most, old subs pay the old fee which is $25. For a net difference of $3.50 at the most. Some pay $10+$10+$3 for a net $1.50

14. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    This one I sort of get, they made a change and it affects different customers in different ways. The one I can't understand is how DirecTV thinks it is okay to charge for the Encore channels in the Ultimate package and charge you for them again if you sub to Starz. Why should anyone pay for the Encore channels twice and why isnt there a fix for it so that it does not happen. I refuse to go to Ultimate as from time to time I do have Starz and I will not pay for any channel twice over from the same provider.

15. damondlt

damondlt New Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Newfoundland...
    They claim you're paying for the other Nitch channels your getting, not just Encore .
    But I do feel if you subscribe to Starz and Ultimate they should give you a 50% discount on the Starz pack since you're already paying for Encore.
    Kind of a double dip.

Damon

16. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    But new Customers pay for every location, they don't get the first free.. so...

Receiver fees for a customer that has only one Receiver total and its a Genie (if you are a supper old customer and do not have a genie, just a regular dvr, you actually save an additional 3)

Super old..

10 + 10 + 3 = 23

Oldish....

10 + 15 = 25 (some just had it as a flat out 25)

New

6.50 + 15 = 21.50

So there's a little difference between all three. But its never more than 3.50. That isn't a lot of difference considering that they all signed up and different times.

Now if you add in discounts of 10 for hd for the first two then they are actually paying LESS than the new customers by at least 6.50. There is no HD fee at all anymore, its only a advanced receiver fee which gets you dvr, on demand, MRV, Genie go, etc abilities. And yes, I think that's part of the reason the fee costs what it does, to help support that and all the mobile apps in general. (I doubt many non dvr customers ever touch the apps)

Also then go look at the price difference if they are on older packages as well, and it starts coming about a lot closer to zero as well... You have noted you know they exist, it just makes this debate about costs more convoluted.

Personally, If I where directv, I'd have to do the math internally, but I would probably consider making the monthly fee for all receivers 7, even for the first receiver for all customers, and move everyone to one advanced receiver fee of 15 a month for anyone that has a dvr, and then be done with it. Get rid of all the different possible prices people could pay for these fees, make them all the same.

Of course I am also not a fan of grandfathered packages in general, they get to ridiculous.

17. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    There's no principle there's only money.

18. HaterSlayer

HaterSlayer New Member

Mar 24, 2010
    For what it's worth the sup couldn't do anything about the price. As far as the reason goes it's probably because New subs have to get he equipment now.