1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

advertisement on STARZ during movie

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by dunigan1, Jul 18, 2010.

1. dunigan1

dunigan1 New Member

May 24, 2007
    I was just watching a movie(2012) on STARZ and 10 minutes in a box appears at the bottom of the screen showing an advertisement for the pillars of earth. This is the first time I've seen any kind of advertisement on a premium channel during a movie. Is this something STARZ does or something new? I have directv although I'm sure it was from the feed STARZ sends since it was advertising one of their shows.

2. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    I hate those animated ads inserted over the main programming. If I still subscribed to Starz and saw that, I would call up and cancel immediately. This is the new way to circumvent the DVR, and its very obtrusive.

3. dunigan1

dunigan1 New Member

May 24, 2007
    that's what I was thinking. If the premium channels are going to show ads then I should just go to netflix or somewhere I can watch a movie uninterrupted.

4. LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    I'm not sure I would like it either, but they aren't running paid advertising, just promos for their own shows.

Still, if you feel strongly about it Contact Starz by using their feedback page at http://www.starz.com/help/feedback If you don't feel you get a reasonable response, then first cancel Starz and then let them know you did it and why.

5. Henry

Henry Retired Member

Nov 15, 2007
    Pine, CO
    I saw the ad/promo today when I had my TV parked on that channel during the replay of 2012. I watched the premier of 2012 last night and didn't see the ad. I wonder if that was intentional?

6. elaclair

elaclair Rescued Racers Live Here

Jun 18, 2004
    Del Mar, CA
    I also was watching 2012 this afternoon. And while I "tolerate" them doing self-promotions, having that promotion block out the sub-titling of the two tibetan monks talking was, to be kind, total BullS**t.

7. fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    Could not agree more. The worst part is at times the networks run these ads and cover up an important part of the show. It is bad enough that we have to put up with these awful bugs which take up a 1/3rd of the screen that some networks insist on using but now they want to make me hate them even more by using animated promos.

If I were paying for a premium channel and they pulled a stunt like that, I would cancel them before the promo was even finished running.

8. dunigan1

dunigan1 New Member

May 24, 2007
    oh my god it keeps getting worse. after I posted the first post, I saw a starz logo in the corner, which irritates me, but I think I have seen that before so it's not new. Then I saw the bug block out the subtitles like said above. I thought I paid specifically to get ad free movies. Perhaps they don't consider ads for their own programming to be the same as ads for other stuff?

9. Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
  10. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    The premium channels used to be really bad about doing this sort of thing (banners on the screen OR during the end-credits) during free preview weekends. IF you were getting a freebie, it was one thing... but for the paying subscribers it was annoying.

IF they take to doing this regularly, I agree they will turn a lot of people off their premium subscriptions and back onto buying/renting movies.

11. fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...

I guess we should be thankful that they have not taken the PBS (membership drive) approach during a FREE Preview Weekend. ;)

12. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Starz has for years regularly squished the credits doing promos which drives me nuts.

They started doing these bottom of the screen things awhile back. When I decided to cut my costs recently, among HBO, Showtime and Starz ...well... I decided I'd buy the "Pillars of the Earth" DVD set or stream it depending on reviews and the same with the five or six movies they have each year that I just can't live without.

Also, the whole Starz group is reorganizing mostly for financial reasons.

13. Henry

Henry Retired Member

Nov 15, 2007
    Pine, CO
    At least they don't take promo breaks like SHOTOO does on BBAD... and they've been doing that for a few years now. :(

14. armophob

armophob Difficulty Concen........

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    Glad someone brought this up, I got pretty annoyed as well when I saw it. If I were watching during a free weekend and saw that, it would certainly not sell me on the channel. Watermark logos are bad enough, but distracting ads are too much.

I was going to turn on CC in hopes of it covering up the ads. Guess that is out.:(

15. mike1977

mike1977 Legend

Aug 26, 2005

16. trainman

trainman Hall Of Fame

Jan 9, 2008
    Sherman...
    Closed-captioning, which is generated either by the TV or the set-top box, will cover up pop-up ads, or whatever else is under it.

What got covered up in this case, apparently, is subtitling that was literally part of the movie.

17. armophob

armophob Difficulty Concen........

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    ah, ok, so I will try to experiment with it