advice about upgrade

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by bjdotson, Jun 1, 2020.

1. Jun 1, 2020 #1 of 10
    bjdotson

bjdotson Legend

Feb 20, 2007
    I have 3 HR24s (one is not being used) I am thinking it might be time to upgrade and I have questions. I don't plan on buying a 4k TV anytime in the near future. If I get an HR54 and a client (if I understand what that is) can my wife watch her programs on the client TV and I watch mine at the same time on my TV (HR54) I read that it has 5 tuners, so we each could be recording something at the same time (right). I'm not really wild about the form factor of the genie2 based on pictures I've seen (is there a real advantage to that). I have glass fiber filter with a 1 gig router with no caps so I suppose wireless would be doable if I had to, but would it be necessary for a two tv setup? Sorry for the stupid questions, but I'm pretty clueless about the setup. I don't really plan on keeping the HR24s but if I did can you hook that up and a client (or HR54) to one TV

2. Jun 1, 2020 #2 of 10
    WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Feb 9, 2008
    If you don't want 4K Service --Then Keep what you have (ADD a HR54) and everyone still watch everything!

The Client 4K (c61k-700) or any client would connect to the HR54 and when watching live TV --it uses one of the Hr54-tuners --leaving 4 active --keeping what you have and using a Hr24 instead -you will never lose the use of any hr54 tuners.

3. Jun 1, 2020 #3 of 10
    bjdotson

bjdotson Legend

Feb 20, 2007
    So I can watch all shows on either the HR24 or the HR54 on whatever TV I want. Shows recorded on the HR24 in the living room can be watched on the TV in the Bedroom (where the HR54 would be) and Vice versa? I like the idea of doing that if possible because of the storage space, but it is important that both TVs have access to all recordings.

4. Jun 1, 2020 #4 of 10
    WestDC

Feb 9, 2008
    Yes- you will have shared playlists that can viewed every where- also by keeping your hr24's you won't lose any recordings you NOW have

5. Jun 1, 2020 #5 of 10
    bjdotson

bjdotson Legend

Feb 20, 2007
    Sounds good, but can you hook up two DVRs to one TV? So could I keep one HR24 in the living room and add a HR54 in the Bedroom AND keep the HR24 in the bedroom also and have three DVRs on two TVs. My gut tells me probably not, so I would have to decide which one to toss.

6. Jun 1, 2020 #6 of 10
    WestDC

Feb 9, 2008
    You can have as many or few as you want --your choice

bjdotson likes this.
  7. Jun 1, 2020 #7 of 10
    trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Yes, assuming you're using an HDMI cable from the DVR to the TV and your TV has multiple HDMI inputs.
    But technically, your third HR24 doesn't need to be hooked up to a TV. Just needs to be connected to the coax you're using for DIRECTV. You can have it in another room and watch all the shows that are on it from your other HR24 and HR54 (if that is your new setup). To record show to it, use the DIRECTV App and select shows to record and select that DVR as the recording device.

One issue you may have by having two HR24s on the same TV: controlling the two HR24 with your remotes.

8. Jun 1, 2020 #8 of 10
    bjdotson

bjdotson Legend

Feb 20, 2007
    That might be the way to go; just have the installer hook up the two DVRs to the Satellite and connect one to the TV. Put the HR54 in the other room (doesn't really matter which room) Have access to all three playlists (and the storage space). The Directv app is that computer, iPhone or both.

9. Jun 1, 2020 #9 of 10
    trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Why have an installer do anything? You have 3 HR24s (one not hooked up). Do you have any other coax drops not used right now? Move one of the 24s to that and ask to add an HR54 to the location just vacated.

But do you need that much hard drive space? Why not just hookup your 3rd HR24 (are you paying for it right now, but aren't using it?). Connect that if you have an unused location.

If you do get a get an installer, they have to have a TV connected to the device so they can verify that everything works. You can always move the TV to another location. But unless you need the installer to hook up a 3rd location, I wouldn't upgrade to the 54 without trying the 3 HR24s connected to see if that give you more space and tuners for recording.

10. bjdotson

bjdotson Legend

Feb 20, 2007
    well I've never had whole home or whatever you call it so I'm a little unclear how I could see all the playlists or is there something I am missing. I am paying for the 3rd DVR. My son stopped using it a while back and never told me. Concentrating on video games. I was able to connect one DVR to my wireless (may have used a power adapter) , had to order this little box from DirecTV to get the other one connected to it. The whole thing is kind of cobbled together. This is one of the things I was hoping to simplify but it's not critical. On top of all this, I've been getting a lot of pixilation on the HR24s, so I wonder how much life they have in them.