Advice on Ordering Service

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by psumstr, Aug 11, 2016.

1. psumstr

psumstr New Member

Aug 11, 2016
    Wexford, PA
    Hi guys, I'm new to the site and need some advice on ordering DIRECTV service. I'm primarily ordering it so that I can take advantage of the new Unlimited Data plan offer for AT&T + DIRECTV subscribers. I'm on the old unlimited data plan, but my wife isn't. A couple of things are not clear to me and hoping you can help me clear those out:

1. Can I order DIRECTV service and then decide to jump on the unlimited data plan after I'm satisfied with the installation? My line is on the old unlimited data plan, and I don't want to switch out of that until I'm sure service is going to work fine at my home. The last thing I want is to have AT&T switch me out to unlimited only to find out there's a problem with my home and then not be able to go back to my previous plan.

2. Is there any difference if I order service from the DIRECTV site/phone vs. AT&T site/phone? I have an email offer from AT&T where they offer a $200 Visa card with new service, but it's not clear to me whether I can get that deal if I order from the DIRECTV site. It appears the sites operate separately at the moment. It's also not clear to me whether I can get the referral bonus using my friend's account # if I go through AT&T. I want to make sure I can still do the AT&T unlimited plan even if order through DIRECTV.

3. Does anyone have any experience ordering via http://cw.directv.com/DTVAPP/?I've read people have had bad experiences with installations when ordering in a Costco store as they use a 3rd party company for the installs. This website appears to be the same DIRECTV site, and you can still get the $300 Costco gift card. If I can get the gift card plus get the AT&T benefits (2-year price lock + have access to unlimited plan), this would be the best deal, but don't want the hassle of dealing with a crappy installation company.

Thanks in advance for the help.

2. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    The only requirement to get unlimited data is to have DirecTV. They dont care where you you get it from. Once you have DirecTV you then qualify to get the unlimited option, but you are not force to take. That means that you can stay with your current plan.

How much are you currently paying for your wireless service?

Sent from my iPad Pro using Tapatalk

3. psumstr

psumstr New Member

Aug 11, 2016
    Wexford, PA
    I currently pay $142 after taxes and FAN discount. I'm on a old Family Talk 550 minutes plan with my wife. We both have separate data plans. My data is $35 for unlimited and hers is $25 for 2GB. If I go to the unlimited plan, It'll be $140 for two lines - $13.8 fan discount + taxes which should run about $144. So it's pretty close. I can't go to other mobile share plans because I took the 2 year plan on iPhones to get them at the subsidized price. If I were to switch to mobile share, they'd charge $25 bucks per line on top of the plan cost.

4. ragweed10

ragweed10 Member

Jul 10, 2013
    San Diego
    How much DATA do you use ?

5. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    Don't overlook the mobile share plans. One of my phones had the old unlimited data and I dumped it 1.5 years ago. With a FAN, you get a discount off the data piece.
    The mobile share are unlimited voice (vs your 550 mins) and unlimited texts. And free calls to/from Canada and Mexico. But you need 15gb minimum.
    The 15gb plan is great and sometimes they promote 20gb for same prices.
    Plus there is one month rollover.

Count up your average data per month per phone and see if you are well under 15gb/month. Then you get rollover so you could have 20gb or 25gb available if needed.

The unlimited plan fine print is that they can throttle you after 22gb, and it was $10/month more so I didn't bother to go for it.
    YMMV, but do the comparison.

6. sadiespapa

sadiespapa New Member

Aug 12, 2016
    Just wanted to chime in that I ordered my DirecTV in December 2015 at the Costco website and everything worked great. Immediately after ordering, I was able to use the DirecTV app to stream the available channels in my package. There were install days for the upcoming weekend, so that workout great. I received a $300 Costco Gift card about a week after the install via FedEx. I also scored the remainder of NFLST 2015 and 2016 as a part of the deal. I have AT&T Wireless through a family member, so I have not explored bundling and cannot speak to that.

7. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    You may want to look at T-Mobile. For $100 a month you get 2 lines with 6 gigs of data for browsing and unlimited video and audio steaming. You can watch all you YouTube and Directv all you want as all major video providers are zero rated. Same goes with music. No matter where it comes from, is zero rated as well. Check it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. psumstr

psumstr New Member

Aug 11, 2016
    Wexford, PA
    Switching to the 15GB plan would cost me $180 a month since I took the 2 year contract subsidy on our iPhones last September.. Once the contract is over, I will get better pricing, but that's not till Sept 2017.

9. ericknolls

ericknolls Active Member

Aug 18, 2013
    New York,...
    I would sit down and look at all three options and see which one gives you more bang for your money. In the case of getting the install done to your liking or standards is understandable. I would want the work done correctly too. Your concerns are not out of the norm. I remember when I had the Genie and a Genie client installed. It was a frigid and brutally cold day in my city. The installer did all the work along with changing the dish. Everything went well. No problems at all. What surprised me was all the wiring to make the "bridge" wireless. I thought the Genie was supposed to eliminate wiring and the need for a box. Truthfully, the Genie mini client mirrors what's on your Genie box. I would say just watch what the installer does. The more complex your install the more there is a chance of a problem occurring. The installer could forget to do something. So keep your eyes on him and good luck! By the way - everything is working good in my system. I have no complaints up here in the Northeast! You should get many years of enjoyment if AT&T doesn't mess DTV up.

10. psumstr

psumstr New Member

Aug 11, 2016
    Wexford, PA
    Update

I ended up ordering through DIRECTV over the phone. Everything went well and got it installed yesterday. Was able to take advantage of the referral credit and $200 visa gift card.

Installer was cool and hooked me up with a pole mount for the dish at no charge. He said that when they require a 40 foot ladder to get to the roof, they can waive the pole charge since it's a pain to have to get that type of ladder. It worked out great for me since I preferred to not have it in the roof and it's in a location that's not visible from the street. I also asked him to check his truck for a HR54 and he found one and had no problem installing it with the 4K LNB to future proof it.

AT&T told me that I didn't need to bundle the bills if I didn't want to. To qualify for the Unlimited Data cell plan, I just need to have the same address on file. Also, they got rid of the $10 off for combined billing so there's no benefit at the moment to mess around with that.

Thanks all for the input.