1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice.....

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by akw4572, Mar 24, 2013.

1. akw4572

akw4572 Legend

Sep 7, 2005
    Ok, I left DTV over pricing and aging receivers about 4 months ago. I've been getting welcome back offers out the wazoo. I went with my cable company, no contract. I had no intention of coming back, I'm "ok" with the service I have. BUT.....I finally am able to get great cell phone service at my house, so I called the cable company to cancel my home phone, it would shave about $40 off my bill per month. They told me, if I cancelled my home phone, they would RAISE my bill $30 a month because I'd no longer be bundling all three of my TV, phone, and internet. So, in doing so, they are probably going to lose my TV and my phone service. My question is, how happy are people in general with the HR 34? I had 2 HR 22's when I left and they were slow as molasses and it drove me crazy. I also see HR 44's are on the horizon. If I hold out for about 3 months, are those going to be rolling out with regularity?

2. damondlt

damondlt New Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Newfoundland...
    In my experience the HR34 is better then all the HR-2*'s except HR24's.

Does it have bugs, YEP! Look at the threads in the HD/DVR forums.
    Would I wait for HR44? With a handful of HR44 out in the real world, I wouldn't want it until I see some reviews. I wouldn't even touch that thing and Give Directv a 24 month commitment for maybe another year. But that's me!:)

Most Cable companies have a Internet and TV bundles as well without phone as an option , I'm sure if you make it clear you are thinking about leaving they will offer you something.

We had the Top line Triple play service with our cable company and 4 HD DVRs. I wanted to do the same and Drop my Phone and Get out of paying $230 every month for my Triple play.
    Well I got the same Bit, and the Girl CSR must have some Young kid out of High school, who was rude, and didn't have a clue.
    So anyway, I told her I was displeased with her knowledge and rudeness that we ended the call.
    She called back in 10 minutes , " Sorry Sorry Sorry, I said OK, Now all of a sudden I could Have a double play for $189 for 12 months more. I said thanks let me think about it. Cause now I'm pissed at them. :mad:

But I called Directv on A Thursday told them Everything, Had all the Equipment I wanted all set up for Saturday. Everything was great, Much Better then Before with Directvs HR22 I had ( My HR23 kind of sucks) but Its not the main one, MY HR34 works better then every other HR I've ever owned, But Still needs some work.
    Over All did I save money, NO I didn't, Cost me $260 for HR34,HR23 2 H25s
    Did I save a lot of Headaches? Yep mostly customer service.:) And the Bundling services BS.

You should have seen the look on Blue Ridge Communications face When I showed up with all 4 HD DVRs, and the Phone/Internet modem. Priceless!:lol:

They were begging( no joke!) Just not on their hands and knees!:lol: I felt a little bad, So I decided to Keep my internet.:)

Best thing for you to do, Look at the HD/DVR threads, Looks at all the prices, Look at what it will cost you for stand alone internet. Upfront Equipment fees, and the programming.

3. Old_School

Old_School Legend

Nov 28, 2011
    PA
    I too once had the Triple package with the cable company we had 2 phone line (wife works from home) @44.95 a month for unlimited calling. One day i got a "we what you back" email from Vonage. Never really had any issues with them in the past but, at the time the cable companies triple deal was the best option.

Vonage offered us both lines unlimited for $24.99 a month with a one year agreement. After the year i called up and got a really nice CSR and she in the end made it the same deal i was getting without a contact or price change.

Anyways when i called the cable company to axe the phone service they gave a round around about how my bill would go up and they even offered me a $20 credit for 6 months if i kept everything. I still said no i wanted to cancel my phone and i told them about the vonage deal. Well the reps started getting really rude and made the comment "i can cancel your phone services today but you wont be getting the discounts you are today in 3 months when you come back" after she said that i said just cancel it all and ill return the equipment to the local office on Monday.

When i packed up all the equipment and took it down to the office that Monday, (no joke) i stood in line for 30 minutes as i was 25th in line with equipment to return. When i got up to the counter i told the lady i was returning my stuff and she said "ok" punched a few buttons in the computer and said "thank you for you business" I was blown away that she was not even the least bit curious why i was canceling, you never know it could have been something simple that could have saved atleast one account.

Called Directv that same Monday morning and had an installer there the next afternoon and never looked back!

4. supermod38

supermod38 Mentor

Jan 16, 2013
    Central VA.

5. inhd40

inhd40 Mentor

Jan 26, 2013
    I'm happy with the 34, wish I could have more than one. What I don't like at all are the clients. After 2 months, what are the chances if I called and complained they would swap me out for a 24 or similar for free?

6. damondlt

damondlt New Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Newfoundland...
    Slim and NONE!:lol:

7. inhd40

inhd40 Mentor

Jan 26, 2013
    That's what I thought. Oh well, I guess I will live with it for another 22 months.

8. Old_School

Old_School Legend

Nov 28, 2011
    PA
    I would agree with the slim to none unless you can convince Directv that the clients are causing some sort of system problem and not just that you dont like them.

9. inhd40

inhd40 Mentor

Jan 26, 2013
    I don't want to hi-jack the op's thread, but just for his fyi. The clients is very slow changing channels, viewing the guide, menu functions ect. It frequently locks up and has to be reset, and for the first 10 or 15 minutes after turning it on the picture will freeze up for several seconds and then jump ahead perhaps three or four times. I like the fact that it is fully integrated in the WHDVR, but I don't like paying the same price as a stand alone regular box. Wish I had done more research on it.

10. akw4572

akw4572 Legend

Sep 7, 2005
    No, that's exactly the info I'm looking for.

11. lesz

lesz Legend

Aug 3, 2010
    Just an OT FYI. Vongage has an unadvertised plan for $9.99 per month with unlimited calling and all of the features of their other plans. It is essentially their $24.99 per month US and Canada Unlimited plan for $9.99. If you call Vonage and use the "cancel service" prompt and then ask the retention rep to be switched to this plan, you will be given the plan without any need to beg, plead, negotiate, etc., and it also comes with no contractual commitment, and you will continue on the plan until/unless you decide to switch plans or cancel your service. If you go to this thread, you will see numerous posts with people who requested the plan and were granted their request without the least bit of hassle.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r27982070-Vonage-10-special

12. akw4572

akw4572 Legend

Sep 7, 2005
    After reading the HR 44 has built in wifi, I'm definitely going to hold off. I do not have a hard wired internet in my living room. So I want to go that route.

13. damondlt

damondlt New Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Newfoundland...
    HR 34 Doesn't need to be Hard wired to the internet through Ethernet, If you have the Cinema Connection kit, your internet is through Coax from the Swim System.

You would need to Drop a Coax to your Router where the CCK would be.
    The coax goes from CCK to Swim.
    Directv will install all this.