After 20 years, Ive divorced from Direct tv

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by hoopsrgreat, Jun 24, 2019.

1. hoopsrgreat

hoopsrgreat Legend

Sep 4, 2006
    I am a little disappointed, but after 20 years of DirecTv service, I cancelled today. They cant get their crap together after demerging from AT&T in regards to billing. After spending probably 5 hours on the phone, transferred to 7 different people, back and forth with AT&T disconnested 3 times... im just done.

AT&T has our money that is supposed to be at directv, and they cant seem to get their crap together. I wasnt spening another minute on the phone, so today I said goodbye.

It was a great run, and directv was really the only company that I could actualy say I was loyal to. A damn shame AT&T had to get involved.

2. bnwrx

bnwrx Icon

Dec 29, 2007
    colorado,...
    Please to explain the "demerging" ???

3. hoopsrgreat

hoopsrgreat Legend

Sep 4, 2006
    When AT&T bought directv, they apparently gave people an option to merge your at&t and directv bills. My wife is extremely busy and did that to save her time and have 1 autopay set up. Then a few months back, at&t demerged that system. Our autobill amount kept pulling the same amount and sending it to AT&T. all we have with AT&T was basic phone... like 25 bucks a month. So for 2 or three months they werent sending our money to Directv, and ..... well, lets just say that it has been so much bs that THEY need to deal with. After almost 5 hours... I just decided I had had enough.

4. BrucePadgett

BrucePadgett AllStar

Nov 14, 2007
    I don’t blame you one bit. I’ve been with DirecTV since Year One, and have myself been debating whether to stay subscribed. Billing hassles, technical problems, etc. AT&T clearly has not been able to address ongoing issues DTV has had since the merger, something all the prior owners did far more efficiently and successfully.

This is a textbook example of why mega-mergers should be carefully scrutinized by the feds. Too late for us, but a lesson learned for all.

tivofan2018 and AZ. like this.
  5. mikegold

mikegold AllStar

May 14, 2002
    New Jersey
    Interesting. Our ATT/Directv billing is still “merged.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. b4pjoe

b4pjoe New Member

Nov 19, 2010
    Once your account is moved from DTV to AT&T it is never going back to DTV. You might be able to get it separated from another AT&T account but your DTV account is going to stay with AT&T. No stopping that.

7. Shad

Shad Legend

May 29, 2007
    Been with them since 1999. They are a shadow of their former self.

8. Microphone

Microphone AllStar

Jan 30, 2007
    Massachusetts

You bet. After 24 years I made the split, seemed out of sorts for about 2-3 weeks. Getting everything I want from Comcast. Never thought I'd say that.

9. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    Why is this an example of why the feds should scrutinize mega mergers? Their job isn't to stop mergers that result in poor customer service, it is to prevent mergers that allow one company to have too much power over a market.

10. Brian Hanasky

Brian Hanasky Godfather

Feb 22, 2008
    Gave up Directv almost 2 years ago. Initially went with Sling and the "4 extra pack". Loved it. Didn't miss anything from having the dish and enjoyed not having DVR fee, HD fee, sports fee, box fees, and whatever fee they wanted to make up. Fast forward a couple years and Youtube TV came available in my area with all 4 locals. Trying that out now and it's great. Still love Sling but may jump to Youtube TV. Best part of it is I can jump at no extra cost and if I want to jump back to Sling later I can cancel YouTube TV at no cost. Oh yea Sling is $43 a month while Youtube TV is $53 a month. Flat price tax included. They give me the HD for free. Imagine that in 2019. Surprised Directv isn't trying to charge for the color.

242424, Rich, NashGuy and 2 others like this.
  11. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    How much are you saving over DirecTV? Did you ever call in and negotiate your bill or just bail? And how many providers do you have now to cover your needs?

12. mjwagner

mjwagner Icon

Oct 8, 2005
    Why stay with a provider that forces you to call and beg for a reasonable price every so often? Makes no sense to me. $ was pretty much the last reason on my list for leaving D after way over 20 years (started before they were D and you had to buy the equipment, including the dish, at the local "hi fi" shop and install it all yourself) but adding everything together my overall bill for entertainment is $80 less per month than when I had D and I gave up nothing (that I or my wife wanted/needed/watched), and have a much better overall experience that fits my requirements better. That clearly won't be true for everyone but based on the numbers it appears that it is for more and more people.

bwaldron, Brian Hanasky and Rich like this.
  13. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    Well... it is a pain and I'd rather not, but over the past 10 yrs or so, I've only really had trouble getting promos put back on ONCE. Generally its a 5 to 15 minute call. 5 to 15 minute call to me isn't worth giving up the traditional user experience. No buffering, no juggling dozens of apps, multiple subscriptions.

My thing is, I watch locals, Discovery, History, ID, USA, DIY, PBS, Science, MT, etc. and a few other channels. Some of those channels aren't even available in streaming packages, or they're very expensive add ons.

By the way, you should ALWAYS negotiate your bill. I'd be paying double on my DirecTV bill if I didn't. I'd also be paying 50% more on my Cox service if I didn't.

14. mjwagner

mjwagner Icon

Oct 8, 2005
    No reason to call PSVue, the price is the price which is the way I prefer it.

15. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    It could be argued that allowing the death star the level of power they have in the market has allowed them to offer poor customer service and remain in business. That being said, I'd prefer the free market be the guide ... but the larger the players get, the less free the market becomes.

16. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    Yup, Weird how nobody talks about Disney. With all the content they've bought over the past few years, they pretty much own the majority of everything popular. They should be broken up.

Besides, AT&T was broken up already ;).

With all the power they have, it's amazing they can only offer me 100Mb internet service over POTS for $50/month. At my parents house, T offers 25Mbps, also for $50/month lol. I *would* switch over to T fiber if they had at my house... less then I'm paying for Cox 1Gbps over DOCSIS.

17. NashGuy

NashGuy Active Member

Jan 30, 2014
    Nashville, TN
    I think AT&T understands that the consumer culture of "call and beg for extended discounts" is fading away. The cable companies increasingly don't care whether you take their TV service since it's so low margin and they really make all their profits on broadband. So they increasingly aren't letting customers haggle and threaten to drop TV to score extended discounts. And that's never been an option with AT&T's streaming cable TV competitors like PS Vue, YouTube TV, etc.

I think we'll soon see AT&T introduce a new standard set of channel packages across both DTV satellite and their forthcoming main streaming cable TV service. And they'll be priced so that the prices are what they are, take it or leave it. As for existing DTV satellite customers on existing (perhaps soon-to-be-grandfathered) packages, I think they'll cut way back on the extended price breaks. "You're welcome to stick around if we can make decent money off of you. Otherwise, here's the door."

mjwagner likes this.
  18. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    I disagree on a few points you mentioned.

1) I've tried Netflix / Amazon Prime on monthly free trials multiple times and I end up struggling to find content at the end of the month. Especially on AP where anything good is premium (i.e. extra $$$). Netflix lost a lot of value without all the popular content. When they had a mix of indy / foreign / blockbusters it was amazing... now they are heading towards mostly indy / foreign and some of it just awful.

2) DirecTV Now is a flop. You're paying almost the same price for the traditional service without all the "neatness" of the regular service.

3) I am a customer since 2002. I've always had 1 TV and a DVR. No premiums or add ons and a low package (Preferred Xtra right now). I'm what you'd call a very low value customer. I've gotten discounted rates for years and years because I'm willing to call in. The only time I've ever had trouble was early this year when I had to try 5 times and was actually on the verge of cancelling. After the bad first quarter, they started giving out discounts again. When I called in after that, I easily got a big discount on my first try.

If the discounts stop, then I'll cancel. I consider what I'm paying now to be a "fair" rate. Some people want the service for free... I want it for a comparable rate to other providers. Sticker price on my setup is $110+. I wouldn't pay that when I go to Cox / Dish for $80ish. As long as they do that, I'll stay put.

Preferred Xtra is now grandfathered because why let people NOT pay an extra $8/mo lol for RSNs?

Also, I'm with Cox Gigabit which has a 1TB cap. The unlimited is pretty expensive actually, so if I went full streaming, the cost of unlimited would WAAAAY offset any savings.

You can't just look at the headline number, you need to look at the big picture and any additional "unexpected" costs you may not consider past the headline numbers.

If you don't have a data cap, then your situation is different obviously.

19. mjwagner

mjwagner Icon

Oct 8, 2005
    One thing I will note about data usage. Thankfully my ISP doesn’t have data caps so it’s not an issue but my router (Asus RT-AC87U) provides complete data usage stats. We have been 100% streaming for almost 3 years now. I have never gone over 1TB and usually we are under 500GB and much of our content is 4k (the two main viewing locations in our home are 4k). Now if you do lots of gaming, had multiple people in the house all streaming all day, or work from home and use lots of data outside of entertainment I think it would be a different story. But I think sometimes it’s an issue that really isn’t an issue when you start to actually measure it. Obviously sometimes it’s a real issue and I do understand that.

20. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    It's just me and right now I don't do any streaming or gaming. It's just internet usage (mostly more static sites, but also youtube, etc), a few hours of work and umm... downloading things ;). Seems like I use around 200GB to 300GB a month. I'm afraid full time streaming would push me over the 1TB cap. I never came close with NF & AP because I just couldn't find enough to watch... but I noticed that a 2 hr movie was about 15GB on Netflix, so maybe I wouldn't hit the cap... I would need to watch like 66 hours of streaming a month lol...