After 23 years with Directv

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by drkashner, Oct 13, 2016.

1. drkashner

drkashner Cool Member

Nov 16, 2008
    Well, I've been on here a long time, I've had Directv for 23 years, but apparently they don't have customer retention anymore. I was getting $30 a month off for the past year. I refuse to pay more than $100 a month for tv. I'm retired, live by myself and only want 1 tv. I called to see if I could extend it, but they wouldn't. I pay $70 a month for internet from comcast besides my Directv bill. I can get comcast, both internet and tv for $89 a month for 2 years. That includes showtime and all the channels I have now plus a couple more. My only concern is the picture quality. How does comcast compare with directv.

2. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    One or more posters have said there is basically no difference in the picture now. Ask somebody in your area that has it how they like it.
    My mother has Comcast in Savannah, Georgia and her picture is just fine. The channel numbers are really screwy. For instance ( just using random numbers here ) My channel 2 for NBC here is channel 2 in SD and HD. Her NBC is like channel 40 for SD and 432 for HD.

If you want to call them back, after confirming the phone is the one on the account, then say "Contract End Date". You will be transferred. Tell them what you just wrote here.
    Good luck.

3. mdavej

mdavej Hall Of Fame

Jan 30, 2007
    Visit DSL reports and ask other subs in your area. Cable PQ varies greatly by market. Happens to be on par with DirecTV in my market, but far inferior in a different market nearby. You could also compare yourself by putting DirecTV on hold and hooking up cable TV. There is usually no commitment with cable, so you could just cancel and go back to DirecTV at essentially no cost.

However, there are other options these days. PS Vue is an excellent alternative to satellite or cable at about a quarter of the cost. My retired parents have this and it is working well for them. For locals, they supplement with an OTA Tivo DVR with lifetime (meaning zero monthly cost). When my promos run out, I plan to do the same myself.

4. Gordon Shumway

Gordon Shumway Member

Jul 25, 2013
    Ocala, FL
  5. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    while is interesting is very easy to explain. Once credits rolls off, is time to switch! Some folks like to play musical chairs with their TV service.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 person likes this.
  6. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    That's pretty normal for cable companies. Apparently it's a technical limitation, or at least was.

7. ragweed10

ragweed10 Member

Jul 10, 2013
    San Diego
  8. keithl

keithl New Member

Jul 24, 2011
    Comcast here in Marietta GA PQ is on par with DTav, but the outages forced me to DTV after 8 months Comcast logged 42 service interruptions in my area. I am surprised DTV will not offer you a deal for a 2 year commitment, have you tried calling again? Ask for the customer loyalty department.

9. dbronstein

dbronstein Hall Of Fame

Oct 21, 2002
    Tell them you want to cancel your service and they'll come up with something. That's what I finally did after they insisted they couldn't offer me anything, and when I told them to cancel my service, they magically found some discounts.

10. sangs

sangs AllStar

Apr 2, 2008
    NE New Jersey
    I do it all the time. Drives my wife nuts, but she does plenty to drive me nuts, so it all comes out even in the end. :)

11. JeffBowser

JeffBowser blah blah blah

Dec 21, 2006
    I switched to Comcast's X1 system a while ago to save money. I saved a good bit of money, gained a couple nice features and a FAR more responsive (to commands) box. BUT..... Comcast is now in the process of downgrading all HD to 720p, and stuffing more channels into the same bandwidth. The picture suffers, and at the moment we are also experiencing audio sync issues on some channels. All this varies by market, it seems, so YMMV.

I'd be back to DirecTV in a second if it wasn't for the bundle discount Comcast has with internet, and the fact that TV is just not that important to me. These days it seems I watch more streaming via my Amazon Fire box and live OTA than anything from Comcast anyway, so I'm still thinking about dropping traditional paid TV, inching closer every year.

12. keithl

keithl New Member

Jul 24, 2011
    Ironically I was with Dish for 15 years and about 8 months again needed faster Internet than the 45/5 Uverse had so I moved to Comcast 150/15 then realized I could save a bunch bundling TV. After 8 months and interruptions i needed alternatives. I went to DirecTV with with some ATT bundles, but also found that I could get a Comcast 150/15 bundled with their basic TV for $40 less than Internet alone, so I tkae that, bury the STB in the basement not even hooked up and love my DirecTV and while total I am paying a little more than my original Comcast bundle I now have 2 Internet providers, DTV, Uverse 45/5 Internet and voice, ATT wireless, and Comcast 150/15, could not be happier.