After a storm HR20 dead? What to do?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by ticmxman, Jul 20, 2011.

1. ticmxman

ticmxman Legend

Aug 27, 2007
    Big storm today, power did go out, at one point after a nearby strike my pc started running faster and faster till I killed the power, it seems ok but the sound card maybe fried. Came home later to find my HR20 running but no blue light and no picture. Tried a 2 minute unplug and still nothing I can hear the harddrive or fan running but no light no picture. I'm trying a longer unplug period now. So is it dead? Anything else I need to try?

And if it is I have to decide if buying/leasing a HR 24 from SS or Amazon is better than just calling Directv for a replacement and getting the luck of the draw.

2. BK89

BK89 Legend

Sep 18, 2007
    Just call them and get a replacement for $20 shipped (and ask about waving the fee - they wouldn't waive for me but gave me some freebies worth more than $20). Unless you really want a HR24 and feel like flushing $200.

3. admdata

admdata Legend

Apr 22, 2011
    Most likily you will get another hr20 if you do the directv call route.

4. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    I'll go ahead make the comment about putting the new one (and your computer) on a UPS.

5. ticmxman

ticmxman Legend

Aug 27, 2007
    Still dead this morning after staying unplugged over night. All my units are on a battery backup. The best I can tell a surge from the lightning strike may have came thru the ethernet powerline adaptor. So nowI have to decide if I want to try and get a deal on a whole home set up from Directv or just replace the box. I have found a local supplier of the HR24 so I may pick one up from tham and try to get some credits from Directv.

6. ticmxman

ticmxman Legend

Aug 27, 2007
    Directv is sending out a new DVR. I tried to get them to do a Whole home install but they could not get their system to take the order as it shows I already have it. Which I do have an unsupported whole home set up thru mu network. But I wanted to go the SWM Deca supported route and have a truck rollout giving me better odds of getting a HR24. As suggested here I had them delete from their system that I had WHDVR hoping that then they could place the order to install it...no luck after several CSRs tried. So I settled for what is supposed to be a new HDDVR with a 2yr commitment. If it is not new I'll have a problem with the 2yr commitment. I'm hoping for a HR24. I'll let you know what I end up with. Is it correct that a refurb replacement does not carry the 2yr commitment?

For now I relocated my HR22 to my main viewing room and all seems well mostly. I did have to swap out the BBCs as on set up I recievied a 771 searching for satellite message. After the swap all is mostly well all though I have seen the 771 message a couple more times, I can change tuners onto another station and all is fine, if I change stations on the tuner with the message all is fine. I'm not sure what is causing this. Any ideas?

7. yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo Icon

Nov 1, 2006
    Jacksonville Fl
    A couple of month ago my hr20 went out. I got a hr24 a couple of days later.

8. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    A month ago mine died (HHD) and received an HR21. A really slow one....should have replaced the drive like I did my oldest one.

9. ticmxman

ticmxman Legend

Aug 27, 2007
    No luck for me a refurb HR22-200 was sent and is being returned. While I new the CSRs could not tell what model was shipped I thought they could determine if it was new or a refurb and they told me it would be new, it wasn't and it is going back. I'm buying/leasing a HR24 from Amazon and am supposed to get credit for the cost back from Directv.

10. ticmxman

ticmxman Legend

Aug 27, 2007
    Was it a new one or a refurb? Did they roll a truck or ship it to you?

11. allenn

allenn Icon

Nov 19, 2005
    Georgia
    I will second your comment. All your equipment should be on a UPS or on power strips with electrical spike protection. A Belkin UPS saved my electronics. A spike came through the phone line.

12. ticmxman

ticmxman Legend

Aug 27, 2007
    Agreed and I have except for the powerline eithernet adaptor and I suspect that was my source of the surge. I will not be using them this time.

13. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    Those are useless.

14. ticmxman

ticmxman Legend

Aug 27, 2007
    My local power company offers whole home surge protection option for $10 a month with $50000 coverage. I'm thinking about this as so may items like stoves, refrigerators, Tvs etc.. can be taken out by a power surge.

15. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    I have read that this is nothing more than insurance:)

16. joed32

joed32 Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006

We had a power line break near our house about a year ago. Somehow when they were trying to fix it there was a massive power surge like nothing I've ever seen. We had 14 power strips in use and they all exploded, it was like firecrackers going off and the smell of burning electronics. I had 5 DVRs 1 Receiver,5 TVs, 5 DVD recorders, 5 DVD players plus a roku and 3 computers. All I lost was 1 DVD recorder, everything else was saved, so not entirely useless, they did their job. The next day I replaced all of them.

17. allenn

allenn Icon

Nov 19, 2005
    Georgia
    APC, Belkin, Tripplite and other brand power strips will protect electrical spikes that enter via phone line. They are better than nothing. UPS's are a better way to go.