1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Agent wanted (LitzDog?) for eSATA upgrade

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by oldbamaguy, Jun 3, 2009.

1. Jun 3, 2009 #1 of 53
    oldbamaguy

oldbamaguy Legend

Jun 1, 2009
    Well I just found this forum this week. I was looking to expand the memory in my two HR20-100s. Before this week, I had never even HEARD of an SATA drive. I'm thinking that I could spend the next couple of weeks reading and asking questions and finally come up with some plan that might work.
    This morning I had a brilliant idea (I think anyway). I hire an agent, (I am familiar with Litzdog from the Directv forums) and I pay him/her say $100 and he/she comes up with a plan for me saving wear and tear on my poor old overworked brain.
    The plan would be something like this: you need to get two model xxx, make xxx drives of size 2tb (or more) from dealer, xxx, yyy or zzz. (I'm thinking enclosed drives.) You will (or will not) need two make xxx eSATA cables. Included would be hints on connection, etc.
    I'm looking in the neighborhood of $1000 for this project.
    I like things KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid).
    Your thoughts????
    TYVM!!!
    oldbamaguy (71 in september)

2. Jun 3, 2009 #2 of 53
    CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    DOn't make it so hard, and expensive on yourself...

Order 2 of these: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371008&Tpk=antec mx-1

And 2 of these: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136344

Install the drives in the cases(probably the most awkward part, but only take 5-10 minutes). power down your HR's, hook these up, power them up, then plug your HR's back in to house power...you're done. The enclosures come with the eSATA cables, its virtually a no-brainer, and you've only spent about $600.

3. Jun 3, 2009 #3 of 53
    Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Good to see the 2TB drive finally coming down in price. Two of those would certainly give him plenty of storage. More than he probably needs. I'd go to Amazon and get two Seagate Barracuda 1.5TBs and two Antecs. That would only cost him a bit less than $300. And, it's still a lot of storage. Of course if money is not an issue, I'd go with the WD 2TBs as you suggested. What stops me from getting a couple of them is not so much the price, but the fact that in a few months they will be selling them for about half of today's prices. Be a nice start for him, tho.

Rich

4. Jun 3, 2009 #4 of 53
    Clemsole

Clemsole Godfather

Sep 8, 2005
    Washington...
    Use a external drive. if you open the case on your leased HR20's it will cost you over $400.00 to replace one if it ever failes.

5. Jun 3, 2009 #5 of 53
    pfp

pfp Whatever

Apr 28, 2009
    nobody suggested that here.

6. Jun 3, 2009 #6 of 53
    oldbamaguy

oldbamaguy Legend

Jun 1, 2009
    Well, I can remember paying over $300 for a 100 meg for my 386/25. So paying over $300 for 10,000 or 20,000 times more memory doesn't seem too bad. I'm not rich, but have no dependents or debts, so $1000 doesn't seem too expensive to me. I'm thinking an enclosed model might be better with a fan etc and no chance for me to mess up anything. I worked electonics in the 60s and 70s, but I haven't done much since then. I appreciate your input, but quite frankly, egghead has a negative connotation for me. I'd rather pay, say Dell, a hundred more for the same WD or Seagate drive.
    Again TYVM!!!
    oldbamaguy

7. Jun 3, 2009 #7 of 53
    CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Newegg is a very solid company, in fact I'm sure many on this site order from them quite frequently. I probably order something from them at least once a month and have never had any issues at all. Their order process is very organized and their shipping time is fantastic, usually 3 days from the date of the order and its at my door.

8. Jun 3, 2009 #8 of 53
    Athlon646464

Athlon646464 Gold Members DBSTalk Gold Club

Feb 23, 2007
    Uxbridge, MA
    Newegg is great - I've ordered stuff from them for years now and I've never had a problem. If they do make a mistake however, their return process is very easy and very fair.

Most of the time you cannot beat their prices and shipping time!

:D

9. Jun 3, 2009 #9 of 53
    pfp

pfp Whatever

Apr 28, 2009
    +1

10. Aztec Pilot

Aztec Pilot Legend

Oct 11, 2007
    Why the negative connotation :confused: If you want to pay more, you could get something similar from Best Buy.

11. PokerJoker

PokerJoker Godfather

Apr 12, 2008
    Las Vegas
    Sorry, but you are completely off base here. Newegg has absolutely nothing - and I mean nothing whatsoever - to do with the former Egghead company. The word "egg" is the only common factor.

They are by a long shot the best Internet retailer of computer parts in the country. In my opinion. If you don't believe me, go to resellerratings.com and check there. Check Dell's rating while there - it's WAY worse than Newegg, as are almost all the names you may have heard of.

If you just can't bring yourself to use them, then try Amazon. If you stick to the stuff that Amazon themselves actually sells and ships, they are excellent. Unfortunately they also are the storefront for a jillion small vendors (and several large ones) and purposely blur the differences between them and Amazon proper. They call it marketing, I call it useless clutter.

But really, you have no reason to fear Newegg.

12. oldbamaguy

oldbamaguy Legend

Jun 1, 2009
    Gee and I thought "the agent" approach would work, of course I just had the idea this morning. I spent over a week getting the power bars so that I could connect the internet to my receivers over existing power lines. It was a long tough haul. Liztdog gave me the answers over on the Directv tech forum.
    I certainly appreciate all the various inputs here!!
    Anybody got any thoughts about a 3tb?
    I understand about disk prices and how todays price will be in half next week or month. I really don't have any problem with that. I'm looking at the rapidly approaching NFL Preseason (August). I just went to Directv HDRS in May when ComCast saw fit to drop the NFL Network (I've been getting the NFL Sunday ticket since 2000).
    I'm definitely leaning toward the enclosed unit. The $1000 was my initial off-the-top of my head figure.
    Since I like to KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) I'm seeing this scenario:
    buy 2 enclosed drives and cables if required (I buy things over the internet regularily)
    unplug everything
    connect eSATA cables and plug in external drive, power on
    plug in and power on Directv DVRs
    wait for formatting, uploading etc
    (lose all old memory items) new memory (external mostly blank)
    go for it!!
    Anything wrong with that??
    TYVM!!
    oldbamaguy

13. dave29

dave29 New Member

Feb 18, 2007
    I would definitely buy what CCarncross proposed. The Antec MX-1 enclosures will work with your receivers for sure, and it only takes a couple minutes to install the drives in them.

14. oldbamaguy

oldbamaguy Legend

Jun 1, 2009
    I guess I was thinking about the "old" egghead. I haven't dealt with egghead since the 80s. My problem is more with the name than any actual transaction. I find in my old age, I don't like terms like stupid, idiot or egghead.
    I have received inputs from quite a few egghead supporters.
    I'm still leaning toward an enclosed unit. And the WD Green Caviar 2tb drive sounds like a winner to me unless a 3tb drive would work.
    Best Wishes to All!!
    oldbamaguy

15. Scott Corbett

Scott Corbett Mentor

Jan 27, 2006
    NC
    What happens when you unplug an eSATA drive from an HR20-100?:confused:

Do the programs from the internal drive become viewable again or what?

16. pfp

pfp Whatever

Apr 28, 2009
    Yes.
    Do be sure to unplug the esata cable when the DVR is unplugged though.

17. oldbamaguy

oldbamaguy Legend

Jun 1, 2009
    I have seen recommendations about limiting the connections/disconnections of the eSATA cables (questionable cable, pins, who knows). However somewhere else I saw with multiple eSATA drives use, say one for movies and another for sports.

Concerning the enclosures recommended by CCarncross, there seems to be more than a few problems with a noisy fan that I saw at egghead's feedback on the Antec MX-1 (just when I was going to go "that way").

I'd still like to go with an enclosed model.

Many Thanks to All!!!
    oldbamaguy

18. Scott Corbett

Scott Corbett Mentor

Jan 27, 2006
    NC
    Thanks.

Sorry but I forgot to ask the other question. If the eSATA is replugged, will the programs on it be viewable?

19. jodyguercio

jodyguercio Active Member

Aug 16, 2007
    Yes they will.

20. oldbamaguy

oldbamaguy Legend

Jun 1, 2009
    You might note, however, that the programs will only be viewable on the DVR they were recorded on. You can't swap from machine to machine (something about copywrite rules).
    Best Wishes!!
    oldbamaguy