1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AIG to sue government for bailing it out.

Discussion in 'The OT' started by yosoyellobo, Jan 8, 2013.

1. yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo Icon

Nov 1, 2006
    Jacksonville Fl
  2. jdskycaster

jdskycaster Legend

Sep 1, 2008
    Yet another attempt by crooked and inept management to lay blame for shareholders taking it in the shorts. The government was the cleaner coming in to mitigate damage that would have extended far beyond direct shareholders. Accountability should lie squarely on the shoulders of those that caused the incident in the first place.

3. djlong

djlong Hall Of Fame

Jul 8, 2002
    New Hampshire
    I don't know that "inept" would qualify. These guys got their money, got the government to bail them out so THEY didn't take it in the shorts and now might get MORE money by suing the government.

All these guys need is a white cat in order to qualify as Bond villains.

4. yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo Icon

Nov 1, 2006
    Jacksonville Fl
    My understanding is that when one of their major stockholder Maurice Greenberg sues the government, management more or less has to join in the suit no matter the merit of the suit.

5. Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    We'll see. This would be such a public relations disaster for AIG, I wouldn't be surprised if they passed on joining this suit. It might be enough to stay neutral.

If AIG doesn't get in front of this story very quickly, it will be terrible PR no matter what they decide.

6. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    It seems to me that this lawsuit has no merit, there is no damages as the alternative to the bailout on any terms was a complete loss of shareholder value.

In a sane world a judge should just throw it out.

7. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Agreed, in a sane world.

Rich

8. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Just saw on the news, they will not be proceeding with the suit.