AirTV by Dish's Sling TV

Discussion in 'IPTV Hardware' started by phrelin, Jan 3, 2017.

1. Jan 3, 2017 #1 of 10
    phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    [​IMG]

Dish has launched its AirTV Player, an Android TV-based streaming media set-stop box that can also be used to view OTA TV stations as well.

The AirTV Player will come with the Netflix, Sling TV and YouTube apps pre-installed, and users can also install any Android TV supported apps from the Google Play Store. It supports media streaming at up to 4K resolution. It also comes with a Bluetooth voice remote. However, you can also get this set-top box with an optional OTA adapter that, when hooked up to a digital antenna (sold separately), will not only show over-the-air TV stations, but will even integrate them into the Sling TV app interface. The nice part is that a Sling TV subscription is not required.

The AirTV Player is now on sale, and you can get the box with the OTA adapter for $129.99. You can also get just the box itself for $99.99, and both come with $50 of Sling TV credit, for both new and current subscribers. If you get the box and then later decide to add the over-the-air channels, the adapter is available separately for $39.99.

To learn more go to AirTV.net Also the entire news release and a video can be viewed at Business Wire.

Jim148 likes this.
  2. Jan 3, 2017 #2 of 10
    peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Hmm, the remote color scheme is ugly. Not a fan by any means.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Jan 4, 2017 #3 of 10
    Bubba3

Bubba3 Mentor

Dec 7, 2003
    Is the Sling subscription still only good for one device at a time?

jagrim likes this.
  4. Jan 4, 2017 #4 of 10
    Wilf

Wilf Legend

Oct 15, 2008
    Having cut the cord a while ago, I see no reason why I would I would want this device. Is not Dish beating a dead horse?

5. Jan 4, 2017 #5 of 10
    phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    I see it as Dish acknowledging the inevitable. The OTA integration is the "innovation" as it offers local OTA channels integration with the Sling TV channel guide. I would like to see this but unfortunately OTA is not an option for me.

6. mph21976

mph21976 New Member

Dec 19, 2007
    I have one of these devices. I got it on Monday and set it up. I am a little disappointed at the integration of local channels, some of the pictures I was seeing online indicated that the local channels would show up in the guide. But currently it is an icon at the end of the guide that you switch to, then click on launch, which basically puts you into a new interface where you can see your local channels. They in turn have their own separate guide. I am hoping they will release an update that blends the 2 sources together.

7. mph21976

mph21976 New Member

Dec 19, 2007
    If you get the Blue package you can stream to up to 3 devices at a time.

8. Jon W

Jon W AllStar

Jan 27, 2004
    If this was a DVR I would be on-board.

9. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    perhaps DVR+ is the option for you ?

10. tcatdbs

tcatdbs Icon

Jul 10, 2008
    Reading their FAQ they're supposed to update in February. Other than that how do you like it? I could see this and DVR+ a great combo. I'm just not sure if I can receive ota at my location. I'm in a valley with large power lines between me and the towers. What's a good antenna to try? If I can get the main locals, can I just mount to my Dish bracket and use the coax going to the dish? All this cord cutting talk has me very interested in doing some testing.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk