1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Al Gore's Son Must Enter Substance Abuse Program For Pot Charge

Discussion in 'The OT' started by cj9788, Feb 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Feb 3, 2004 #1 of 26
    cj9788

cj9788 Hall Of Fame

May 14, 2003
    "Albert Gore III will have to complete a substance abuse program under an agreement approved Monday by a judge presiding over a marijuana possession case against the son of former vice president and Democratic presidential nominee Al Gore."

http://www.wtopnews.com/index.php?sid=166285&nid=25

This is hardly being mentioned any where. But when Noelle Bush got caught up in drugs or when GW's daughters were drinking it was plastered all over the web and on every network newscast as major news.

2. Feb 4, 2004 #2 of 26
    rodb

rodb AllStar

Dec 5, 2003
    I think what is newsworthy is the hypocrisy. That these people didn't put as much effort into teaching their children right from wrong as they did their political ambitions. Who cares about pot possession of a son of someone not holding office. If Bob Dole's children were busted I wouldn't care. The president's brother who is the governor Florida has a daughter busted for crack cocaine and prescription fraud is a little different.

3. Feb 4, 2004 #3 of 26
    HappyGoLucky

HappyGoLucky Banned User

Jan 11, 2004
    Because, news wise, Al Gore is past tense. Noelle Bush is the daughter of the CURRENT governor of Florida, the Bush girls are the daughters of the CURRENT President of the United States. Those are also newsworthy because the Bush's have been such staunch "family values" advocates. The same with Rush Limbaugh, he is a CURRENT public figure and the juxtaposition of his public tirades against drug abusers and his private life of BEING a drug abuser is what makes him news worthy.

4. Feb 4, 2004 #4 of 26
    Mike500

Mike500 Hall Of Fame

May 10, 2002
    The same goes with Jimmy Swaggart and Bill Bennett. Those who crusade the most are often the vitims of their own hipocrisy. As a businessman, I quickly put up my guard, when any person I deal with start mentioning his or her passionate devotion to morals and religion.

5. Feb 4, 2004 #5 of 26
    Eagles

Eagles Godfather/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Dec 31, 2003

Wanted:Buisness Associate. Atheist moral degenerate preferable. Contact Mike500
    !pride

6. Feb 4, 2004 #6 of 26
    cj9788

cj9788 Hall Of Fame

May 14, 2003
    Ok so AL Gore Is a big fat nobody a mere blip in the landscape yet he opens his yap ever chance he gets and is very active in politics even though he holds no office. Well what about Howard Dean he is on his way down and out but 6 or 7 months ago his son was busted for breaking and entering and it was barley mentioned. People seem to think the press is easy on the Bushes but in fact they are not. The double standard is there shame on you for not being able to admit the obvious.

7. Feb 4, 2004 #7 of 26
    Bogy

Bogy Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    What have the Bush girls been doing lately? Are they now walking the straight and narrow, did the press get told to leave them alone, or are they in hiding with Cheney?

8. Feb 4, 2004 #8 of 26
    cj9788

cj9788 Hall Of Fame

May 14, 2003
    Maybe they are being angels not doing things that are new worthy. I remember Former President Clinton going on edge over some news reports on daughter Chelse ( i know i spelled it wrong) during his adminstration and the press pretty much left her alone it is a 2 way street but IMO the press will not take notice of a lib flub untill they have too

9. Feb 4, 2004 #9 of 26
    jonstad

jonstad Hall Of Fame

Jun 27, 2002
    What was the big fuss about the Bush girls? It happened. It was reported. And in about a week, it faded away. Pretty much like what happened to Dean. It's brought out occasionally because Bush IS the President, mostly when someone insists on making a big deal over something like Al Gore's son getting nailed for a little pot. Talk about a "double standard".

Bennett was brought up here. No wonder he was addicted to gambling, he parlayed being a crap Secretary of Education into being someone people look to for moral advise. How can this dipwad have any credibility remaining? Yet, still, they trot him out on the talk shows to pontificate. Book of Virtues! How arrogant, how pompous, how dumb are we to keep listening?

10. cj9788

cj9788 Hall Of Fame

May 14, 2003
    I dont care either way I used to smoke pot for many many moons and then I grew up. I am pointing out that when the Bush girls had thier run in it made national news it was the lead story on the network news casts and yes it did fade away. The (at the time) leading dem canidate for prez's son was busted for B & E and it is a blurb on the news a BTW side note. Same when the former Vice Presidents son gets sent to a rehab. How is this not a double standard?

11. HappyGoLucky

HappyGoLucky Banned User

Jan 11, 2004
    How about Jennifer Fitzgerald? "Who is that?" you might say? Well, normally I don't go to this source, I don't mind trotting it out for the more "conservative" readers who typically abide by its every written word:

http://www.newsmax.com/archives/articles/2001/2/12/55616.shtml

Why wasn't that covered by the media more? Well, for one thing those who dared ask about it, like Mary Tillotson of CNN, had their access to the White House revoked or other administration sources blocked. To top-level reporters that is a death knell.

See, the thing is, there are PLENTY of things on both sides that never gain the national attention of the media, for various reasons. For conservatives to claim the media has a "liberal bias" is simply not true.

12. jonstad

jonstad Hall Of Fame

Jun 27, 2002
    What did you expect? Were the media supposed to send moles into the White House to find out if she cheated on her SATs? Would that have made you happy?

Maybe a kid that goes to school, does her homework and gets good grades just isn't all that newsworthy. Amy Carter never got much attention either. Goody two-shoes don't sell news print. If either of them HAD tried to get stoned with fake IDs or forged scrips, it would have been huge news. Hell, Republicans would've probably called for an investigation by Child and Family Services to establish if Bill and Hillary were fit parents.

Al Gore's kid entered "pot" rehabilitation. Duly noted! Is this really the best you guys can come up with?:rotfl: If so, in the words of John Kerry, "bring it on!":lol:

So keep it up. All you're proving is in general, liberal Dems are much better parents then conservative "family values" Republicans. And I've noticed, it seems they get divorced less often too.;)

13. cj9788

cj9788 Hall Of Fame

May 14, 2003
    Time will tell.

14. Bogy

Bogy Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    Who can name the political figure who pushed family values, but asked his wife for a divorce while she was in the hospital, apparently dying of cancer?

15. freakmonkey

freakmonkey Banned User

Sep 11, 2003
    Would that be Newt Gingrich?

16. Bogy

Bogy Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    We've got a winner. I believe he's a Republican. :D :grin:

17. freakmonkey

freakmonkey Banned User

Sep 11, 2003
    Yeah not my favorite one either. There are villians on both sides of the aisle. The press balances on which one will be the soup de jour. Today is my guy tomarrow is yours. Haliburton Enron Global Crossings. I can say the press is letting Bush slide on Enron because the problems in Enron began to brew under Clinton and overflowed with Bush maybe thats why the press stopped. Then again I never really heard that much about Mucllough and global crossings. The man (head of the DNC) made a killing while the employees lost everything in thier retirement.

18. jonstad

jonstad Hall Of Fame

Jun 27, 2002
    You can "say" whatever you want. That don't make it true. Bush has known Ken Lay("Kenny-boy") for years and Enron is I believe still the biggest contributor to his various campaigns(gov. pres.). When the scandal broke, George acted like he'd never heard of him. And then there's the matter of the Energy Task Force meetings with Cheney to draft our energy policy. We're now headed to the Supreme Court to find out if and what input "Kenny-boy" had there. But don't fret too much, Dick is doing all he can to butter up a certain justice.(see "Cronyism? What Cronyism?") http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=23174

And why would the press be worried about harming Clinton? He's not running for office. And Hillary won't have to for at least two more years, and then only for Senate. Plenty of time for people to forgive and forget what happened 6-8 years ago under Bill's regime. No, it makes little sense that the media would be soft-selling this scandal to protect Clinton. Whatever minor harm it could do to the Clintons is far outweighed by the immediate damage it could do to Bush.

I'm afraid the only logical rationale, IF the media is soft-selling Enron, is to protect Bush, or maybe their corporate owners.

19. cnsf

cnsf Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 6, 2002
    Does anyone focus on the fact the Pres. Bus was a cocaine and alcohol abuser?

It seems to be forgotten quite a bit.

20. Bogy

Bogy Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    No, the "liberal" media has never focused on that because #43 says it isn't important. Not nearly as important as whether the previous president inhaled or not. :grin:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.