1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Alert: NBC Chicago added 5.3 to Guide Data - Add to Favorites

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by Supervolcano, Oct 20, 2008.

1. Supervolcano

Supervolcano Hall Of Fame

Jan 23, 2007
    Seems NBC Chicago added subchannel 5.3 to the guide data.

If you use a customized favorites list, you'll need to manually add the channel.

The new channel seems to be dedicated to sports programming (like swimming, cycling, equestrian, speed skating, figure skating, skiing, snowboarding, international hockey, running, track and field, beach volleyball, etc..) from 8am to 2am and paid programming from 2am to 8am.

And no, these programs are not replays of the olympics.

2. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
  3. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    I saw where NBC is coming out with sports programming to replace Weather Plus, so I expect that is what you are seeing. The announcement said it would be HD, but that would steal much of the bit rate.

4. Supervolcano

Jan 23, 2007
    Channel 5.2 is WeatherPlus

If the sports was to replace it, I'd have thought they'd wait until it was time and then just switch to the new programming.

5. mickcris

mickcris Legend

Mar 16, 2008
    You should probably put in the title that is an ota channel. you may confuse people.

6. Supervolcano

Jan 23, 2007
    Isn't saying "NBC Chicago" and "5.3" in it self explanatory?

7. David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    was to me and I'm a FNG.

8. Kodok

Kodok AllStar

Feb 9, 2008
    The new channel has been out there for more than a week. It's a little bit painful to watch because the new channel is not HD. And because the sporting events are around the world, I feel that the quality of the picture is worse than other Non HDs.

Just my $0.02.

9. mickcris

mickcris Legend

Mar 16, 2008
    I knew what you were saying, but not everyone uses ota or knows much about it.

10. erosroadie

erosroadie Godfather

Jan 9, 2007
    I believe it is the Universal Sports sub-feed from NBC.

I saw an advertisement in a cycling magazine to "ask your cable or satellite provider" to add Universal Sports. When I checked the website, it claimed that Chicagoland OTA 5.3 had the coverage.

The potential is huge for us in Chicagoland, but the fact it is in SD is a major disappointment... :(

11. bigshew

bigshew Legend

Feb 26, 2007
    I've been watching 5.3 Universal Sports for about 1 month. Last Sunday (Oct. 12) they had live coverage of the Chicago Marathon. Interestingly, NBC5 Chicago also had the marathon live, but with different commentators plus some segments with a local focus. NBC5 was in HD, but 5.3 was low quality SD. They were both using the same cameras.

I'm still waiting for E* to add the guide data.