1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ALERT! Windows 7 Pre-Order Discount Program Ends July 11 2009

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by LarryFlowers, Jul 10, 2009.

1. LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers New Member

Sep 22, 2006

For those of you who wanted to take advantage... Windows 7 Pre-Order Discount Program Ends July 11 2009

Larry

2. Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    I am still on the fence. Should I pull the trigger or what for an edu discount program?

Argh...I dont know what to do.

3. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Pre-ordered mine from Amazon this afternoon. Still not sure if I want it, but I have 3 months to cancel.

4. Hansen

Hansen Hall Of Fame

Jan 1, 2006
    Most of the pre-release sellers, such as Newegg, are not charging your card until it ships in October and you can cancel up to that time. Thus, can't really hurt to pre-order and hedge your bets until MS announces the edu pricing. I suspect that it will be pretty close to this very low pre-release price of $49 and 99. The difference might be on Ultimate...if you need/want that version.

5. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Ordered 2 copies from Best Buy online....off the fence at these prices. :D

6. Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    That is what I am thinking.

No need for ultimate, this time round it really adds nothing for most (bitlocker is easily achieved with truecrypt if needed and the other functions are not even really used in a none corporate setting).

I barely need Pro in fact, but kinda wanna mess around with XP mode.

EDIT: Well, enough thinking. Just pulled the trigger at Amazon on Pro. $99.99 with release day delivery ;)

7. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper DBSTalk Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    I'm going with Pro "just in case", but will be installing on a brand new drive. While I have played around with the Beta and like what I see, it is still going to be a bit hard to ween people off XP. Sorry, but using the analogy of "brand new shoes... they're going to be right, but require some breaking in" just doesn't cut it with me.

8. Tibs

Tibs AllStar

Jul 5, 2007
    If you have more than about 3-4 computers, buy a technet plus subscription, much cheaper in the long run. You will also get Office, Server, SQL, and various other products for evaluation (full versions)

You can only do this if you pass certain criteria, its perfectly legal, but dont share keys with other people, they will deactive your key if you do.

I think its $349, but when you have 8 computers and a server or two in your house, you benefit from it.

9. Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    I have to be weaned off Vista :p

I am sure Win7 will grow on me, I dont love the new task bar right now and some other things, frankly I like Vista better. But once I use it I know I will get used to it and then want nothing to do with the old.

Same thing happened to me with Vista, it grew on me and now I hate working on XP.

10. naijai

naijai Hall Of Fame

Aug 19, 2006
    make my decision tonite before the window closes and i'm sure the premium should suffice

11. sideswipe

sideswipe Legend

Dec 4, 2008
    if you have 3-4 computers check Larry's thread about Family Pack

12. Drew2k

Drew2k New Member

Aug 16, 2006
  13. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Amazon is $49.99

14. Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    Tax actually makes Costco's pricing higher than newegg or amazon for me.

I still had my prime account active on amazon so I just ordered through that. Gave me free release day delivery (I dunno if that is normally free or not?)

15. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    Since I would pay tax to WA with either Costco or Amazon, I went with Newegg.

16. Hansen

Hansen Hall Of Fame

Jan 1, 2006
  17. Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
  18. FHSPSU67

FHSPSU67 CE'er & Retired Engineer DBSTalk Club

Jan 12, 2007
    Windber, PA
    You and I must think alike:) (at least on this)
    I ordered the Pro version earlier this week from Amazon. Pro mostly because of XP mode.

19. JcT21

JcT21 Legend

Nov 29, 2004
    my thoughts exactly.

however i do have a windows 7 free upgrade certificate from a recent purchase of vista business. hopefully it will grow on me like vista did. right now im really loving the vista business edition.

20. naijai

naijai Hall Of Fame

Aug 19, 2006
    Ordered mine this morning from best buy free with rewardzone cert. :)