All Series 2 DirecTivos: 6.3f Issues/Discussion

Discussion in 'DIRECTV SD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Stuart Sweet, Dec 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Version 6.3f for DirecTiVos.

Expected rollout: Jan 22 to Feb 12 All time zones
    Release Notes:
    • corrects a random rebooting problem.

PLEASE DONT POST... DIDN'T GET IT, or GOT IT tracking posts in this thread, they are subject to deletion

The more detail the better Simply put... the more detail you can provide the better the feedback.

Please post the model of your receiver along with all issues.

2. dstager

dstager Cool Member

Dec 1, 2004
    I have a Hughes SD-DVR80 and I noticed the 6.3f slices in the MFS and decided to upgrade using slicer. The previous software I had was 6.2a and I had upgraded to that via slicer from 6.2 to preserve hacks. I noticed a difference in upgrade process this time around.

During the 6.2 -> 6.2a slicer upgrade I was not forced to reboot even though slicer said to reboot. 6.2a just ran immediately. When I did reboot, the thing just went through the normal boot up process and it was business as usual.

When I upgraded 6.2a -> 6.3f I was forced to reboot. The difference now upon reboot was that I got the screen that said the Tivo was installing a system upgrade and it may take up to an hour -- which is what you'd expect to see if it had just called in and had the upgrade activated. Not sure what gets changed when this kind of process occurs.

The slicer upgrade method was supposed to preserve hacks, but for me at least, tivoweb and gotomydvr didn't work any more. The regular telnet and FTP hacks still worked.

There was a new prompt that was not there with 6.2a when you go to Music & Photos menu. It prompted me asking if I wanted to enable home network applications. I did activate them, but noticed no differences in the machines operations or features. Tivo Desktop detected it but said I had to subscribe to the home media option when I tried to connect to it.

There's probably something DirectTV has to turn on, or maybe Tivo. It's been running stable for two weeks. That's about it.

3. jal

jal Icon

Mar 3, 2005
    If an HR10 is deactivated, but still hooked up to the dish and phone line, will it get the software update? Just curious in case I want to reactivate it later.

4. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    No.

5. dishrich

dishrich Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2002
    I've done it a couple times with a couple deactivated D-Tivo's & they all got the upgrades with NO problems. It did take a few days to catch the update downloads, but after making a daily call, they all sucessfully updated.

6. whitepelican

whitepelican Godfather

May 9, 2007
    That's worked for me in the past for updates to several DTivos.

7. curt8403

curt8403 Hall Of Fame

Dec 27, 2007
    daily call seems to be the thing that is most important

8. drill

drill Legend

Jun 28, 2006
    my HR-10 was granted permission to install 6.3f last night. had the pending restart message in the setup->phone screen. i restarted the tivo so i could set the 30 sec skip for when my wife got home. unfortunately the tivo never fully booted. its stuck at the "Almost there ... just a few minutes more" screen. i didn't have time to deal with it this morning, so i left it.

i'm guessing the only option i have is to pull the plug and see if it boots on power up. if it doesn't, i guess i will have to pull the drive and reinstall a backup OS. losing all my recorded programs :( man my wife will be pissed if that's the resolution. anyone else got any ideas?

9. drill

drill Legend

Jun 28, 2006
    power cycle fixed it. i did notice that this time i got a screen that said something like installing system updates. that didn't show up when i did a menu restart.

10. Random987

Random987 Cool Member

Mar 14, 2007
    Ok. I am having a similar problem. Even after a "pull the plug" reset, the unit still gets hung on the "Almost there...." screen. I spoke to Directv and they are trying to push a new box on us. This is my wife's TV and she is adamant that she wants to hang onto the Tivo, she mentioned something about prying it from her cold dead hands....

Other than the unplug reset, is there anything else I can try?

Thanks

11. Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    Was it hacked at all before the update?

Have you tried unplugging it and leaving it unplugged for awhile?

Have you tried unplugging everything except for the TV (so unplug the phone, sat lines, etc.)?

Just some things to try.

I think I might just leave my Tivo in the dark, doesn't really sound like the upgrade brings anything new to the table yet, and mine is probably going to go to the closet tomorrow when my HR2x comes!

12. Random987

Random987 Cool Member

Mar 14, 2007
    I left it unplugged for about five minutes, which didn't help. I am going to try to leave it unplugged for a couple of days to see if that works. The directv flunkie said that it has to be hardware related (or the software of the box) as opposed to a directv issue because of where it is hanging, at the Almost there screen. He claimed that this was where the box checked its internals right before trying to connect to the satellite.

13. drill

drill Legend

Jun 28, 2006
    i did some searching over on tivocommunity.com forums before i got home to power cycle mine (which thank god fixed it). anyway, there were some references over there regarding some "kickstart" sequences that you can do to force the tivo to do disk checks, etc. if power cycling doesn't work, i would search over there and try some of those (report back here if they work!). most likely, its your harddrive that's bad. if nothing else works, you can install a new one. info on doing that is over at tivocommunity.com forums too.

14. codespy

codespy Sorry Bears Fans! DBSTalk Club

Mar 29, 2006
    Seasonal
    Bugs still present after getting 'f' d. Both SD and HD IRD's.

1- With clock on (SPS9S), and playing a program in the NPL, pause the program and the time of day clock halts after 1 minute.

2- With clock on and tuner data (SPS[IR]S) on, clock flashes repeatedly.

15. captain_video

captain_video Icon

Nov 21, 2005
    A deactivated Tivo will get the same updates as a subbed unit as long as it's connected to a dish and phone line. I'm not sure if it still makes the daily calls automatically without a sub so you may have to initiate a few manually before it gets installed.

Some people have misconceptions about what functions are available with an unsubbed Tivo. The only difference between a subbed unit and an unsubbed one is that you're limited to the barker channels and can't record anything without a sub and the DVR service. You'll still receive all guide data and software updates.

16. Lord Vader

Lord Vader Supreme Member

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    If I'm not mistaken, you're dealing with two different platforms here. 6.2 and 6.2a were for the non-HDTIVOs, like the DVR80, the DVR40, and the HDVR2 (of which I still have two). 6.3 and its subsequent versions, including 6.3e and 6.3f, are for the HR10-250 (the HDTIVO) alone.

17. drill

drill Legend

Jun 28, 2006
    unless i am mistaken, that statement is not true. 6.3e and 6.3f are unified versions for the HDTivo's and SD Series2 platforms.

18. Lord Vader

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    I believe one can technically use them on S2 DTIVOs, but the 6.2x platform is for S2 non-HD models and 6.3x is for the HD TIVO.

19. whitepelican

whitepelican Godfather

May 9, 2007
    I think you're missing the point here. Over the past few months, the versions have been merged. The latest version of 6.3f is for all DirecTivos - both the SD ones and the HR10-250.

20. Lord Vader

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    I don't think it's for SD ones, because none of my SD units have received 6.3f. Even the nonhacked ones haven't received it. My HR20-250s have, however.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.