1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

All shows not marked keep till I delete GONE!

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by thread, Oct 18, 2009.

1. thread

thread DBSTalk Club Member

Nov 25, 2006
    HR20-700
    Software: 0x34c

I'm PISSED.

When I left the house this morning my DRV was happily recording the Formula1 race and the NFL sunday ticket game for the Packers. I also had ALL of my recorded shows in my playlist.

I've come home and now EVERYTHING I had not marked keep until I delete is GONE! The packers game isn't there and the F1 race got cut short!

Restarting the DVR didn't bring anything back

So now I've got a very empty DVR and a very unhappy family.

Has this happened to anyone else? Any ideas what may have caused this? I'm guessing some sort of glitch since the ONLY stuff left is things I marked keep until I delete. Something seems to have triggered it to wipe out everything else.

2. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    This is a bug that has come up. Apparently, you are getting a runaway recording. When that happens, as it fills up your DVR, anything not marked as KUID ends up getting erased. Unfortunately, there is no resolution to get your recordings back. It does appear that DirecTV has determined the cause and hopefully they'll push out an NR that resolves the problem.

- Merg

3. thread

Nov 25, 2006
    So DTV has acknowledged it or, is this just something that's "known" because of the contacts some here have with DTV? Now I'm kicking myself for not downloading the latest release Friday which maybe has a fix in it. I'm worried now this is going to happen again.

Well, whatever it was it looks like it filled the disk at 10:33 this morning, that's when the F1 race stopped dead in it's tracks. (ha ha)

Interestingly enough according to the history it recorded the nightly news at 3:30 but, it's been deleted as well so whatever was running amok was continuing to run amok until I restarted it. But, before I restarted it the record light was not on and the playlist didn't indicate anything was recording either.

Pretty nasty bug.

I guess I can't be annoyed with my mother-in-law who had told me the outcome of the game when I saw her earlier this afternoon.

4. rbpeirce

rbpeirce Godfather

Feb 23, 2006
    This must be random because I have the same recorder/software and have never encountered it. I got the F1 race an the Steeler game with no problems.

Does anybody know what triggers it?

5. BattleScott

BattleScott Hall Of Fame

Aug 28, 2006
    I would bet it has something to do with changes made to the background tuner operations for the DLB feature. But that's just a guess...

6. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    I'm betting it has much more to do with the new drive diagnostics software, and drives that are starting to fail.

7. thread

Nov 25, 2006
    I ran all the HD diagnostics except for the ones that would take 90 minutes and got all passes. Don't know if that helps at all or not.

Does DTV have some sort of equipment upgrade program like the cell phone companies?

8. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    In some other threads there was discussion that the free drive space can be inaccurate and if it hit a certain percentage (49%, I believe), you would have even more issues. Not everyone has the issue and there does not seem to be a common denominator as to what is causing it. I even ran a poll about DoublePlay possibly being a cause, but that was pretty inconclusive.

- Merg

9. Justin23

Justin23 Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    Is this for a specific model of receiver, or has this issue been shown across the board?

J

10. thread

Nov 25, 2006
    My used space was reported as 79% before my first restart when I first noticed the problem. After the restart it was listed as 7%. Don't know if that helps but I figured I should contribute it.

11. hasan

hasan Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    I still think you were bitten by the "runaway recording" bug. I've had it happen once, but never again. The bug appears to be very rare (at least for me, 3 years, one incident). One thing to consider, since this bug still seems to exist for some people is to change your default recording options to "Keep Until I Delete", and set all existing recordings to this same setting. This way, if a runaway recording starts and threatens a KUID recording, the runaway terminates, because the other recordings are "protected" by Keep Until I Delete (KUID).

12. Contra

Contra Mentor

Aug 24, 2009
    My available space was 59% on Sunday morning, recorded a couple of NFL games (deleted the same day). On Monday morning I noticed my available space had plummeted to 15% -- and most of my recorded programs -- not marked as keep -- had the exclamation point warning next to it.

Would doing a re-start help or hurt?

13. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    I agree with hasan. Sounds like a "run-away".

The KUID method above will work, but keep in mind when you approach 100% disk usage, you will have to manually delete shows to make room for new recordings that aren't part of existing Series Links.

For existing SL's, KUID as part of a recording set-up really means "keep until the # of episodes to save" limit has been reached. When it has, the oldest episode in a SL will be deleted to make room for a new episode of that same SL. This means that if you schedule a one-time recording or a new SL and the disk is at 100%, those won't record unless you manually delete to make space for them.

If you want to make sure a show isn't deleted under ANY circumstances, you need to highlight it on the PLAYLIST and hit the BLUE button to tag it as "keep". Note: this only works for shows that haven't been previously flagged as KUID by the SL. Those shows are handled as described above.

It's very confusing, I know. DirecTV really should make these options clearer and differentiate how they tag shows with a blue circle in the PLAYLIST, because KUID circles mean something different than BLUE button applied circles.

14. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I think you're right. The new software has much more proactive diagnostics. It will repair the drive earlier in its life and delete corrupt recordings. While this is causing some headaches now, it's preventing failures later. It's also possible you had a runaway recording but those are rare.

15. TimoHT

TimoHT AllStar

Oct 6, 2008
    Since the latest release I've been bitten by the "lost recording time" issue three times. I am CERTAIN that my last occurrence, yesterday, was NOT a runaway recording. Since I was first bitten by this issue I've been watching my Available Space. Yesterday it was 38% and 20 minutes later it was 16%. A Runaway Recording could not have eaten 22% of the space in 20 minutes. I'm not saying a Runaway Recording could not cause the lost space issue. I am merely posting this data as evidence that another root cause exists AND, since my issues have been coincident with the latest release, I suspect that those of us having only recent issues are not Runaway Recordings - rather, some issue with the latest s/w from DirecTV.

Note: On each occurrence, a "reset" has brought back the proper available space. That includes yesterday where the space went back to 38% after the reset.

16. Mike Greer

Mike Greer Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2004
    Salt Lake...
    This problem is seems to only be with the HR20 right? I ask because if my main HR22 erases everything I'll be spending some time removing pieces of the receiver from some very uncomfortable places! My much better half is ready to pay to get out of the DirecTV contract and go back to Dish - I think everything turning up gone will put her over the edge.

17. TimoHT

TimoHT AllStar

Oct 6, 2008
    I have another theory, also related to the new Drive Diagnostics. That theory is that in some usage scenarios, on some DVR models, the Drive Diagnostics incorrectly identify disk sectors as bad, resulting in the "lost available space" issue.

I don't know when the drive diagnostics run (i.e, continually, after a reset, etc). But, I've seen as much as about 2/3 of my disk deallocated (as little as 10 total hours of HD recording available). Yesterday, I saw 22% of my space disappear in 20 minutes (I happened to check Available Space to catch that). I've been hit by the Lost Space issue three times and a reset has brought back the space on each occurrence.

I doubt that 2/3 of my disk sectors allocated to recording space would be bad w/o me experiencing other very serious issues with recording or playback. The only other issue I have are the occasional audio and/or video stuttering that others have widely reported. And, I never had that prior to the latest s/w release. For the "stuttering", I would also not be surprised if the root cause is some form of system resource bottleneck (disk, memory, bus b/w, etc) - with the bottleneck potentially related to system demands by the disk diagnostic.

I readily admit that the above is just my technospeculation. I'm just identifying a plausible "bug" scenario versus the theory that the new disk diagnostics are properly identifying failing disk sectors.

18. thread

Nov 25, 2006
    I was one of the early adopters of the HR20 and suffered through the initial instability and unreliability as DTV sorted things out. It's been stable for a long time now up until this incident.

After reading Stuart's post I really hope we're not entering into another round of unreliability while DTV sorts this thing out.

19. Contra

Contra Mentor

Aug 24, 2009
    No, I have an HR21, and this issue affected me too.

There are some things I've just come to rely on in life. My car starting okay in the morning, the Starbucks coffee being regular and not decaf, and the DVR keeping my recorded programs safe and sound (provided I stay on top of the amount of available disk space).

20. gnahc79

gnahc79 Godfather

Jan 11, 2008
    I had a runaway recording once ~1.5 yrs ago while watching/recording MotoGP. It was a brand new HR21-700 and the DVR was not responding to any button inputs, but the race was still showing. Luckily I was there and did a RBR.