AM-21 HD Digital Off-Air Tuner stops every night at 10 PM

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by friendfield, Apr 28, 2017.

Tags:
  1. friendfield

friendfield New Member

Mar 6, 2010
    Starting a couple of weeks ago, every night at 10 PM (Eastern Time), my DirecTV box blanks local sub channels from AM21. Just get a black screen. I switch the TV input to the antenna shared with AM21, and the channels are there. So, I can watch them after 10, and they show in the guide, but I can't record them.

Any ideas?

2. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    Possibly one of your locals is crashing the AM21. What's your zip code?

3. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Is your AM21 plugged into different that maybe shuts off?

4. friendfield

friendfield New Member

Mar 6, 2010
    AM21 is plugged into same standard surge strip as TV.
    Texasbrit may be on to something. My Zip code is 29803. I am always watching 6.2 WJBF waiting for their 10 PM news. As soon as it is supposed to start, the screen goes black. Another thought is that I have all paid options turned off.
    So tonight I will try watching a satellite channel at 10, then tune to a different local and if that works, then switch to 6.2. If that does not isolate the problem, I'll try unblocking paid channels.

5. friendfield

friendfield New Member

Mar 6, 2010
    It worked! I kept in on a regular satellite channel until 10:01 PM, then when I checked, all the AM21 channels were there including 6.2. 6.2 normally has only CW programming, but they switch to local news at 10 PM. So maybe something in the stream when they switch is messing with the AM21, or the HR54.

6. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    If your AM21 is connected to a Genie, this is one of those strange issues that Directv chooses not to resolve. Something during program changes messes up Genies with the AM21. Flip to another channel and problem is gone.

7. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    Not just any program change. There are just a few stations that cause problems. For example, a couple of PBS channels screw up the channel scan. In the OPs case, there's something in the 10pm data stream switch from CW to local programming at channel 6.2 that the system does not like.
    here in DFW my AM21/HR54 work fine.

8. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    Weird problems like these are surely one of the (but not only) reasons Directv decided to drop support for the AM21.

9. May 2, 2017 #9 of 10
    ejbvt

ejbvt AllStar

Aug 14, 2011
    VT
    My AM21 always goes black for a second on all channels when the guide changes (usually :00 and :30) but my local NBC/CW (WPTZ) causes the screen to go black and you have to change channels to get it back after every program.

10. mgavs

mgavs Legend

Jun 17, 2007
    During live TV my AM21 goes completely black when shows change for instance every half hour or hour. The solution is to make sure before you turn off the genie to tune it to a non-AM21 channel. Then the AM21 channels work fine and will record. If I leave it on an OTA channel then OTA shows will simply record in black after the show ends. I will be replacing my AM21 with Plex on AppleTV and other software coupled with a Silicondust unit, all recorded by a Mac mini. That will allow me to get all of my OTA channels rather than the very few provided by DirecTV.