AM-21 Help

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by sswheeler, Nov 1, 2008.

1. sswheeler

sswheeler Legend

Aug 27, 2008
    Need some help please. Here in Des Moines we have 5-2, but my AM-21 won't find it. I can hook rabbit ears up to my TV and my TV see's it, but my AM-21 with an OTA in the attic with excellent signal, I can't get the AM-21 to see it in the channel line up. I have done a reset on the AM-21 and did an initial set up, but still no joy finding it. Any help would be great.

2. CATCRAW

CATCRAW Legend

Mar 27, 2008
    I have the same issue with my AM-21. In my case it appears that the local station has not provided the programming information for the AM21 to find by the zip code. So as another poster suggested, I searched the web for a city that had a channel by the same number (5-2) in your case and entered that zip code in the secondary zip set up of the AM 21. That allowed me to get the station I wanted - keep in mind the programming info will not be correct however. I managed to find another FOX station in the country with the same station number as ours so at least mine was close. It works until the local station gets the information updated where it needs to be to pull into the AM-21.

3. 50+

50+ Legend

May 1, 2008
    There are many posts here about the am21 not having certain channels. Apparently Dtv gets there guide info for over the air from Tribune Media Services,It does not do a search for OTA like most TV's. Do a seardh for TMS and it will take you to many of these posts, where many people more in tune to the way this is done can explain it.

4. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    As mentioned, except for the H20 receiver the other boxes with ATSC support all count on a data based of ATSC channels loaded into the receivers. You need to contact DirecTV and tell them this channel is missing so the data base gets updated.

5. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    Check to see if it is listed an zap2it.com, which is a Tribune website using the same data. If it is, let Directv know. If not, contact the station so they can supply the data to Tribune.

6. bakers12

bakers12 ΔS > 0

May 29, 2007
    Chicago -...
    It's been noticed in Des Moines in this post, too. My thought there applies here, I think.

This is common with new subchannels. The TV station has to notify Tribune Media Services, who will then place the information into their feed to DirecTV. It can take time.

It couldn't hurt to email the TV station and encourage them to contact Tribune.