1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AM-21 OTA Question

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by agreco60, Aug 7, 2010.

1. agreco60

agreco60 New Member

Aug 7, 2010
    Can anybody tell me how to scan channels with the AM-21 OTA receiver installed on a H24-500. I used to have the H-20 and I received a lot more channels including Canada. Now it just asks for your zip code in set up. Is there a different zip I can use that would scan for all channel's not just my local market.

Thanks

2. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    Except for the H20, all the HD receivers just the table that get's downloaded to the receiver based on the zipcode(s) you enter. There is no zipcode that you can enter to have the box do a scan like the H20.

3. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    You cant scan. What you can do, is add the zip code closest to the canadian broadcast stations you wish to receive, into the secondary zip code slot, and *IF* Directv has those Canadian stations in the database, it should tune them. If not, you will need to find another zip code somewhere in the US, that has the same exact physical channels as the Canadian city you wish to receive. It should then tune them, but the guide data will be wrong.

Personally, I would just run a splitter, and use your TV tuner to watch the Canadian ones.

4. gordo80

gordo80 AllStar

Apr 23, 2008
    You can get a converter box. If got a channel master cm7000 its well worth since you can scan the channels. I got it for $60 at fry's. I originally bought the am21 at my local spot was not happy and return it for a refund and I got a channel master instead.

5. hancox

hancox Godfather

Jun 23, 2004
    Appears I need a new macro :)

6. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    This works just fine unless you have a DVR to record those stations. :(

7. gordo80

gordo80 AllStar

Apr 23, 2008
    If you have a dvd player you can connect to the channel master and record from their. But I know it's frustrated when you can't record those shows. The only reason I got that box so I can receive my locals station from another country which is Mexico. Channel Master sells another converter box that has a built in DVR with HDMI connection, but that puppy is about $300 which you can get at fry's too much money for me.